• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Sigma Receptor Ligands and Peculiar Structural Similarities

Volsam

Bluelighter
I like researching drugs molecules, read about binding affinities, pharmacology and all that suff, but I have no chemical study background, nor any medical education, so I do it simply for fun.

I have recently gotten a rather atypical antidepressant from Russia, Afobazole (Fabomotizole) and was reading about it's action - turns out that it's antidepressive qualities may come from agonism on sigma-1 receptor. So I started reading more on this and was a little surprised to find DMT, PCP, Cocaine, DXM, Methamphetamine and all other addictive and nicely active stuff as agonists (or antagonists) on this receptor. :?8)

I have also found a peculiar similarities in molecular structures of most of the ligands - they all contain phenyl ring and a nitrogen having 3 methyls attached to it in a triangle shape (like DMT) or 2 methyls and a hydrogen (like Ketamine or Methamphetamine), with exception of hormones and hormonal steroids, like Progesterone, DHEA and Pregnenolone (they probably exert their action through Pregnane X receptor?..).

Made a little picture with some of the molecules that bind to sigma receptor:
2qalic1.jpg

I may be stating something very obvious here but those structures similarities appeared rather interesting and not mentioned anywhere.

I'm wondering what does it really take (scientifically proven) for a molecule to bind to sigma receptors and why is there barely any research in this area?

From Wiki: "The function of these receptors is poorly understood.[4] Activation of σ–receptors by an agonist ligand may induce hallucinogenic effects and also may be responsible for the paradoxical convulsions sometimes seen in opiate overdose. Physiologic effects when the σ–receptor is activated include hypertonia, tachycardia, tachypnea, antitussive effects, and mydriasis. Some σ–receptor agonists—such as cocaine, a weak σ–agonist—exert convulsant effects in animals. Behavioral reactions to σ–agonists are rather heterogeneous: some individuals find σ–receptor agonists euphoric with significant anti-depressive effects. Other individuals, however, experience dysphoria and often report feelings of malaise or anxiety. Recently selective σ–receptor agonists were shown to produce antidepressant-like effects in mice.[8]"

Seems like a more thorough research might yield new discoveries on how our physical brain is connected to consciousness, mental deficiencies and a sense of happiness and euphoria as well as perhaps an understanding how cancer has anything to do with our lifestyle and chemistry.

What do you guys think of it?

More compounds with high affinity to Sigma receptor:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiperone Ki=3.53nM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eltoprazine Ki=9.3nM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clozapine Ki=6.4nM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorpromazine Ki=1.475nM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butaclamol Ki=1.80nM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clorgiline Ki=8.7nM

All have trimethyl configuration at the nitrogen. Whats up with that, a coincidence?..

All Ki values are from https://pdsp.unc.edu/databases/pdsp...=&KiLess=&kiAllRadio=all&doQuery=Submit+Query

Last edited:
I don't mean to introduce a bunch of vague information into your thread, but I've also had some curiosity regarding sigma receptors in my travels. I'm going to try to make this as concise as possible.

I've used Gabapentinoids pretty extensively over the past few years. In this time, I've also used Fluvoxamine (Luvox), an SSRI, mostly for the purposes of potentiating Methadone, but, I encountered something interesting when I tried to use Pregabalin (Lyrica) and Gabapentin (Neurontin) when being on the Fluvoxamine.

While I normally get a great deal of euphoria and contentment from high(er) dosages of these drugs, when I took them in conjunction with the Fluvoxamine, I noticed a greatly diminished effect. Well, this caused me to do a little research, of course.

I quickly found out that both Fluvoxamine and Gabapentinoids have roles in affecting the Sigma-1 receptor. The problem is, a lot of the information regarding how Gabapentinoids work seems to be mired in conjecture. There's a lot of "we think/we believe/it's possible that" regarding the drugs. Calcium channels are believed to be the primary mechanism behind their effects, but even my anecdotal experience would imply that the Sigma-1 receptor plays a major role in how Gabapentinoids work.

I'd love to hear the opinion of someone smarter and more knowledgeable than myself regarding the interaction and the role of the Sigma receptor in general.

There is definitely a lot of research into sigma receptors and the pharmacophore. Scholar Google "sigma receptor" + "Glennon pharmacophore" or "Gund pharmacophore" or "Cratteri pharmacophore" and you will find many papers on the subject. Generally, the sigma receptor pharmacophore consists of two hydrophobic aromatic sites (primary and secondary) connected by amine site. Spacers between hydrophobic sites and amine can vary and are not necessarily straight alkyl chains with the spacer between secondary hydrophobic site and amine site tolerating more bulk.

I may be stating something very obvious here but those structures similarities appeared rather interesting and not mentioned anywhere.

Here's the thing: secondary and tertiary amines are *very* common in organic chemistry/pharmacology, as are phenyl rings.

Trying to build a pharmacophore out of these extremely basic similarities between different sigma ligands is like trying to use the number of limbs on a person as a predictor for violent homicidal behavior, based on the observation that very few successful serial killers were also double amputeees.

To build a pharmacophore/SAR model you'd normally want more specific details: How many carbon atoms are there between the amine and the phenyl - is there a common "backbone"? Is there a limit for the size of the substituents on the nitrogen? What about the presence of very electronegative groups? What about stereocenters? Planarity? Rigidity? Are there any factors that influence receptor affinity but not efficacy (and vice versa)?

Sure, "N-demethylated sigma ligands do not retain the activity of their parent compound" is obviously a good testable hypothesis, but also probably one of the first ones they investigate once they stumble onto a new lead compound.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the answers, guys! It gives me food for thought - my favorite kind of food!..8)

I started a thread (or added to one) some time ago about 8-Aminopentacyclo (very specific) sigma-receptor agonists which are Trishomocubanes
Banister_sigmaergic_cocaine_analog_6.png
%281R%2C2S%2C3S%2C5S%2C6S%2C7R%2C8R%2C9S%2C10S%29-N-%28%283-fluorophenyl%29methyl%29-N-methylpentacyclo%285.4.0.0%C2%B2%2C%E2%81%B6.0%C2%B3%2C%C2%B9%E2%81%B0.0%E2%81%B5%2C%E2%81%B9%29undecan-8-amine.png

N-substituted 8-aminopentacyclo[5.4.0.02,6.03,10.05,9]undecanes as σ receptor ligands with potential neuroprotective effects

^^^They look pretty interesting! Where do you think the neuroprotective effect is coming from and may it actually lead to the opposite effect with certain ligand's sigma agonism?

There is definitely a lot of research into sigma receptors and the pharmacophore. Scholar Google "sigma receptor" + "Glennon pharmacophore" or "Gund pharmacophore" or "Cratteri pharmacophore" and you will find many papers on the subject. Generally, the sigma receptor pharmacophore consists of two hydrophobic aromatic sites (primary and secondary) connected by amine site. Spacers between hydrophobic sites and amine can vary and are not necessarily straight alkyl chains with the spacer between secondary hydrophobic site and amine site tolerating more bulk.

This explains a lot, thank you for the links! ;)