• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Australian Joshua Baker faces up to 15 years in jail over drugs in Bali

poledriver

Bluelighter
Australian Joshua Baker faces up to 15 years in jail over drugs in Bali

Bali: Australian man Joshua James Baker could be jailed for up to 15 years after being named a suspect for allegedly bringing a mixture of marijuana, tobacco and prescription-only drugs into Bali.

Mr Baker, 32, was handed over to police after being apprehended at Ngurah Rai airport on October 8 with an alleged 28 grams of marijuana and 37 pills of diazepam, a prescription-only sedative.

1508021729466.jpg

Bali police spokesman Hengky Widjaja said Mr Baker, who was born in Mount Isa, Queensland, had been named a suspect but remained under doctor's observation.

Naming someone a suspect in the Indonesia justice system means authorities believe they have enough evidence for charges to be filed, which does not take place until the case is before the court.

Police said Mr Baker faced charges of drug importation and/or possession, which carry maximum sentences of 15 and 12 years respectively.

Under Indonesia's strict anti-dug laws, Baker would face a minimum five years behind bars if convicted of drug importation and minimum four years if found guilty of possession.

Cont -

http://www.smh.com.au/world/austral...-jail-over-drugs-in-bali-20171014-gz1578.html

Australian drugs suspect in Bali 'needs professional help', psychiatrist says

The psychiatrist who treated an Australian accused of importing drugs into Indonesia says the man is unstable and needs professional psychiatric help.

The diagnosis could be the man's only real chance of avoiding prosecution and a lengthy jail term.

Joshua James Baker, from Mt Isa in Queensland, is accused of importing 28 grams of marijuana into Indonesia and faces a lengthy jail term if convicted.

His lawyer said the 32-year-old was mentally ill and should be deported to Australia so he can receive treatment.

Denpasar psychiatrist Dr Denny Thong has confirmed to the ABC that he had previously treated Baker in 2015 for hallucinations and mental instability.

"I got the impression that he's very unstable," Dr Thong said.

Dr Thong said he had prescribed Baker psychotropics and a mild anti-psychotic.

"From my part, for his mental health he certainly needs professional help."

Baker was transferred on Tuesday from a police hospital into regular detention cells.

An earlier transfer on Monday night was cancelled because Baker complained of ill-health.

Police say they are investigating Baker on charges of possessing and importing narcotics — charges that carry a penalty range of between five and 15 years in jail.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-...spect-in-bali-needs-professional-help/9060116

That’s nuts, an ounce of pot/tobacco mixture and a few dozen pills of Valium becoming a five year jail term? If I ever visit Bali I’m making sure an controlled substances that go with me are accompanied by valid prescriptions. Then again, doubt I’ll be visiting Bali anytime soon...

It is insane but you have to know the draconian laws of these places. I feel bad because they were obviously for self use but you have to be cognizant of stupid laws when you travel to such places.

I would be so mad for getting caught with that bunk ass weed too lol...

Who truly benefits from locking up someone for using drugs? Definitely not the user as far as I can tell.

It is insane but you have to know the draconian laws of these places. I feel bad because they were obviously for self use but you have to be cognizant of stupid laws when you travel to such places.

Indeed.
Bali has really draconian drug laws, but it's a place a lot of australians visit. It's cheap and the overseas destination of choice for a lot of aussies.
It's sad that this guy clearly had mental health issues and was naive enough to try this.
I'm sure escaping police custody won't be looked upon kindly either.
In some ways, it's far too easy for people (who should, but may not know better) to jump on a plane from australia to bali, thinking (perhaps?) that they won't be throughly searched by indonesian customs when they arrive.

Seems kinda crazy, but some australians have some weird ideas about bali being a playground for australians to be disrespectful, drunken trashy tourists.
After all of the horrors of australians getting locked up (even executed) there for drug possession in recent years, you'd think people would learn, but sadly this guy doesn't seem to have done so.

I just hope they show the poor bastard some mercy...which seems unlikely :(

Why in the hell would anyone go to Bali after the executions a couple years ago? It's fucking stupid. Stay away from shithole countries with Draconian drug laws people.

Why in the hell would anyone go to Bali after the executions a couple years ago? It's fucking stupid. Stay away from shithole countries with Draconian drug laws people.

I have friends who went to certain SE Asian countries, and did stupid things like smoking herb or using other drugs, taking pics of themselves using drugs and putting it on social media, and thankfully were not caught or arrested. The one guy who was traveling with them who either isn't into drugs or just smokes herb very rarely like at a party or socially with friends only drank alcohol and did not use or stick around them when they were using drugs. Other people I know who went to various SE Asian countries with insane drug laws who are into drugs just did not use them at all while going there.

Bali is close to Australia and NZ and a lot of people from both countries go there when they have a break from school, or graduate school, much like how people in North America go to resorts in Mexico in Cancun or Acapulco, or how people from the UK go to Ibiza or the Canaias.

Yeah, it is a very common (and cheap) holiday destination for aussies, but i think some people think that they'll be ok because the guys that were executed were heroin mules.

It's not worth the risk, but some people take it, sadly.

I've been to Bali 4 times, it's a great place, beautiful. Warm ocean, lots of fresh fruit and seafood, temples, volcanoes, many many islands, lovely locals (except the ones who become very annoying very quickly trying to sell you shit you dont wont to buy, but hey they are only trying to make some money).

I had shrooms several times in Bali and we had amazing trips. Damn it was good. I would love to go back and indulge in the shrooms again but I think they finally made them illegal there, but I bet they are still sold everywhere there. Go away from the main tourists spots like Kuta, Legian, Seminyak, Nusa Dua etc etc and it's very chill. Although those spots can be great to relax in a resort or whatever. When we bought shrooms in Bali they were sold in bars and cafes etc. Was so funny buying shrooms from shops and having them made up in front of you, like in a milk shake or omlette etc.

I can stay away from drugs for 2 or 3 weeks or how ever long I stay there. If I have shrooms I will do it in some very remote kind of spot where if they caught me they'd get me with a small amount of shrooms only. I doubt that much would happen if I was caught anyway, shrooms are so common there. And out in the middle of no where there wouldnt be hardly any cops at all. The cops hang aounnd the main tourist areas and make a lot of extra cash from taking bribes from tourists.

Some of the times I have been there I have had local Indos trying to sell me E's, coke, heroin, meth, hash etc. Bali has way more street dealers than Sydney. Besides raves I have never been in Sydney and had people coming up to me asking me if I wonted to buy drugs.

Last edited:
Bali has way more street dealers than Sydney.
Also has a lot more cops pretending to be street dealers, and informants pretending to be street dealers.
There are places in the world people indulge in 'drug tourism' relatively safely (some safer than others, obviously) but indonesia - especially the tourist-y parts of bali seem to be a bad choice.

Yeah like Nimbin, but even that is way more risky these days too. Cops putting up CCTV in trees there and all sorts of stuff.