• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Post opiate - Odd symptom

Reanimator13

Bluelighter
Im about 4 months clean now from a ten year morphine habit ( Pain Management ). Im sleeping fine now. I keep having a weird set of symptoms... Light pins and needles and a reoccurring rash/hive like on my entire back and chest area. My pain level goes up with it. Not taking any new meds...

I have several autoimmune's and its possibly related. Before incurring the cost of a doctor ( No insurance ) I figured I would ask here and see if its withdrawal related.

Anyone get anything similar after quitting?

TIA
R13

Not really, particularly not four months down the road. Sometimes I’d get odd symptoms not unlike that, but localized on my face and hands. That would only be within days or weeks of quitting though, and BTH at that.

I don’t know how much we can help with this. If you don’t get many replies I’ll move to OD. Probably best for you to check it with an MD though, particularly if you have pre-existing autoimmune issues.

I’m sorry to hear about this, sounds really really unsettling. Does anything help? Do antihistamines help?

Actually, pin and needles yes, but that I think is related to a nerve condition I have. Or circulation related, I don’t really have any idea. But that was localized more in my extremities, not the core. Iono... :(

It is probably related to your diagnosed disorders. Sorry to hear about the symptoms; opiates can suppress symptoms of disorders for a long time, then when you quit, those symptoms can get worse.

R13, before I got to the end of your last post, I was going to ask if autoimmunity could be in the mix...it does sound like something along those lines, much more so than anything related to opioids. Sorry to hear that, man. Autoimmune stuff sucks (I have problems in that area myself).

I think your right... Its auto immune. Going to treat the symptoms for now. Benedryl has done nothing. Antihistamines are next. Got the Flu right now to boot. When it rains it pours...

Morphine definitely covered up alot of symptoms...

R13

Gosh it sounds almost like shingles; I had it once but never Recurring and I'm not well enuf educated on it to tell ya whether it's something that does recur. .. it seems it would. Shingles comes from a herpes simplex / related to Epstein Barr n all that jazz. I believe the med was Valtrex? That I took for shingles. It was 11 yrs past so man oh man don't quote me on any of this.
But your symptoms struck me -- a memory of that darn shingles.
You could always see your doc just about these symptoms (*you may not have to disclose absolutely everything. But if they run blood tests, things pop up in a tox screen ).
Just trying to help. Not to frighten you. Shingles can be awful n if you have it and it's recurring, there is a treatment to ease it up when it flares.
Take care; get tested if it keeps up.

--fox

Embarrassing Disclosure : when I had shingles in 06 it appeared all over my Butt n down the backs of my legs! How weird.
Long story: it was summer, It was hot...I was overly stressed working long hours driving alot taking care of my kids n my farm....all a sudden my Butt n legs ached..in the shower I find this horrendous rash n headache prompt me to check my temp which was some ungodly thing like 104

Medication took care of it....
I think it truly can strike anyone anywhere on the body, anytime but it particularly hits in times of high stress n when the body is somehow comprised n weak.

Yuck. I hope that's not what our OP is coming down with....but it's worth a quick blood test or exam I would say if it keeps recurring.

Thanks for the responses... had shingles when I was young. Its not shingles ( thankful!!! ). Its like my nerves are going bonkers. Feels like light pins and needles and itchy. Mainly back and chest. Pain level seems to go up with it as well as some fatigue. Rash has gone away now. Also having some vision issues from time to time ( That statement is pretty wacked out when I functioned fine daily for 10 years on high levels of morphine ).

Going to wait it out some more before seeing the doc. So far its just annoying...

Still opiate free... Pain level is still high though and its getting old.

R13

R13----
Glad to hear you have eliminated shingles as a possibility thru past experience with it. Yuck !
I suppose a person canbecome sensitized to any substance : I mean not exactly allergic but irritated by it. I became sensitized to codeine for ex. It will gimme full blown hives if I use more than a teeny tiny dose.

Shingles are pretty bad and miserable... that said I would take shingles over opiate or meth withdrawal any day. Funny how these things work out and how we look at discomfort.

R13

Thanks again Fox... :)

R13----
Glad to hear you have eliminated shingles as a possibility thru past experience with it. Yuck !
I suppose a person canbecome sensitized to any substance : I mean not exactly allergic but irritated by it. I became sensitized to codeine for ex. It will gimme full blown hives if I use more than a teeny tiny dose.

You're welcome.
Life is surely a struggle after an addiction of any kind.
Gotta keep pushing to make things better for ourselves. Nobody else is gonna DO it.

Shit, life’s enough of a struggle even without having to deal with substance use disorder. And substances use disorder is difficult enough to deal with without the associated stigma too. Sign...

Wish we could somehow Educate the whole world .... ha ha now I'm just being a silly dreamer.

Ahhhhh but I'm possessed of the mind of an addict .
I want more more more more more more more n then I'll have some more.

That's not just an addict thing my dear - it's largely just the human condition. I think you're rather possessed more by the idea of what you think an addict is. A kind of mental trap if you will. Self love is really hard when one identifies as an addict given how stigmatized the identity is in our culture.

It takes a lot of practice, especially in our culture. We are taught to have a more aversive relationship with the self from a very early age.

^^^^ I certainly hope i effectively broke that cycle, in raising my kids. Only one of mine seems to struggle with self-esteem and self-love.

I reported a certain post a few min ago TPD (nothing from this thread). I hope you can see the report / be the one to address it.