• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Adderall withdrawals worse every time??

Sammysung96

Greenlighter
I've been off of adderall and meth for 4 months after being on for two years. Withdrawls were terrible and I had FINALLY thought I'd seen the last of them. Recently, I came into a couple of adderall XRs and was saving them for a rainy day. Well, that rainy day came (four days later cause Mrs addictive personality has no self control) then I took a second one two days later, then three days later I got sick, like SICK sick. Sweating, crying, nose running, head congested, I was taking a cocktail of robo, triple Cs, Niquil, and antihisthimines. NOTHING! I was like this for nearly 5 days. I hadn't worked all week and I can't afford to loose a paycheck so I took the last adderall, 1 hour later, I was completely better. Clear nose, breathing clearly, no headache, no sweating. I feel %100 better.

My question is, is it possible that I was withdrawling off the adderall? Even though I only took it twice since I've been clean? I didn't think that would be long enough to develop a dependency, but I've heard of Kindling for Alcoholism, where the withdrawls get worse everytime you quit. Are amphets the same?

At this point I'm just worried about what's gonna happen when I come down from this last adderall I'm tweaking on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindling_(sedative–hypnotic_withdrawal)

Read this article regarding what's known as the "Kindling Effect". The phenomenon is typically used to refer to sedative/hypnotic dependence (Alcohol, Benzodiazepines, Barbiturates anon), but I can say both from experience and anecdotal research, that it seems to be the course for just about any substance that one becomes either physically or psychologically dependent upon.

I'm not saying that this applies to you, but one of the most commonly-overlooked issues with Chronic Opioid Dependence is the Kindling Effect. Users can typically acquire a habit more quickly with each successive dependence/withdrawal cycle. So, a user who might have indulged for a year or so without incident in the beginning, can now acquire a full habit and accompanying withdrawal syndrome following as few as three days of continued use.

It's no joke and it's real. I've never been through this phenomenon with stimulants, but the Kindling Effect just seems to be more or less how our body functions when psychoactive substances are introduced.

And then again it could easily be a coincidence and you just had the common cold or the like. Even considering the kindling effect, which has been recorded mostly for sedatives (GABAergics and opioids), 2 instances of moderate use after months of abstinence shouldn't trigger a heavy 5-day withdrawal.

A bit of anecdote: I had my first real fling with a proper stimulant this summer, not having used anything stronger than coffee until that. I did a binge of a week with multiple-times-a-day dosing (along with some benzos and dissos), and after it was over, I was sick as a dog. About on par with bad codeine withdrawal. I wasn't sure whether it was the stim or I had just caught a cold. Then a few weeks ago I had another bender of the same stim, of the same magnitude. Guess what? No after effects, whatsoever. Not a single one. My point is, the symptoms experienced are somewhat vague, and could be caused by something else.

Amphetamines have been used for breathing- and nasal congestion related problems, as well as making one's mind "clear", so it's not at all unimaginable that your dosing the amp just relieved some of the sickness' symptoms without it being amp WD.

^I'm in agreement. I'm not necessarily saying that what OP is experiencing is the kindling effect in action, but I thought it might be useful just to posit the information, because I feel that it's relevant.

It's relevant. I know with opiates in my experience I never went past the three days of use rule at first to avoid withdrawals, but after I became an abuser of every pill and IV heroin and went through withdrawal over a good 30 times, that if I now take opiates for two days in a row the third day I will feel a little withdrawal. As for stims and amphetamines I have no experience with.

^Likewise. I've never been addicted to/dependent on stimulants, but have used them extensively. I'm only speaking based upon what I've read and what others have told me. It seems that for pretty much any mind-altering substance, the Kindling Effect in a general sense, applies in some degree or another. No matter the substance, again, it would seem, with each successive period of exposure/addiction/dependence/withdrawal that the symptoms of withdrawal become more intense and take a shorter period of time to develop.

I used Heroin and Opioids for about one year before I ever experienced withdrawal. Now, like SiCc, with two days of use, by the third day I will be beginning the early stages of withdrawal. If I used for 7 days or so, I can expect the gamut of Opioid withdrawal symptoms just as if I had been using for a year. It's often overlooked, but I believe it's a huge, huge part of what makes long-term sobriety difficult. If you're constantly acquiring habits with the flick of a switch, it's a lot different than the current opinion of the medical community, in that when your tolerance goes back to zero, you're fresh and as if you'd never touched an Opiate in the first place, while in reality, their are permanent changes made to the mind and body following an Opioid dependency.