• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Quitting high dose Kratom habit via taper

I also wanted to add that though things are now slowly improving a lot, I still have a long way to go and a lot of hard work ahead of me. I?ve been sober and haven?t taken anything, other than Dr prescribed medication for almost 9 months. Once I get completely off the Valium and Suboxone I plan to jump back into Real Estate, which is my normal career. I haven?t done that yet because my mornings are still a little rough, I get mentally and physically fatigued easily, and cerebral type work is very taxing (plus with winter coming the market gets tougher). So I?ve just accepted that I have to take the time to heal and taper properly. I?ve gotten myself in trouble a few times by trying to taper too fast, and ended up having to re-up my dose slightly. But things are a MILLION times better than when I started this thread a year ago. Shit, they?re a MILLION times better than 6 months ago. This is a lifetime program of recovery. I?m actually really excited about it. The friends I?ve made in recovery and the personal growth I?ve experienced are priceless. I?m almost grateful to be forced into recovery by this disease because it has given me, in the past, and is now again giving me a life that?s filled with abundance and love like I never thought possible. I?ll always be an addict/alcoholic, I?ll never be ?cured?, and I?ll never ?graduate?. I?ll be doing this till the day I die a, hopefully, sober death as an old man. Life is amazing! I?ve experienced years of excruciating pain, but I truly believe that there are many many more years of incredible joy and happiness ahead of me. Here?s to health, happiness, and love to all living things! ❤️

Last edited:
Man I'm just glad your ok! And that your doing real good!! Sigh of relief and happiness!! May all the good things continue with you!!

I've been about 15 days off kratom now. I am so surprised how much more protracted they are than when I quit heroin/oxy. I can't seem to get rid of the chills man.

Yeah, it seems like it lasts forever. But it doesn?t. Once I cold turkeyed and went through 11 days of complete hell without any improvement, so I started taking it again. But at 15 days you?re way past the worst I?d think. Hang in there!!!! I?m pulling for ya!!!

Thanks for the support and kind words and experiences from everyone. Fuck Kratom. Fuck addiction. ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it?s weird how recovery isn?t totally linear. Meaning you don?t just get a little better everyday until you feel normal. There?s decent days followed by rough days sometimes. Anyways, sorry you?re having a rough one. You got this though! Hang in! I?ll be thinking about ya.

Hey Man, I REALLY wish I would have read the end of this first. I went all the way through every post in this discussion, thinking this was a success story of how to taper off of Kratom. Instead, there is no success and one of the saddest stories I have read in a long time. I hope no one reads this and gives up hope. You failed to quit, lost your family, and ended up switching to another, worse, drug. All under the heading of, "Quitting high dose Kratom habit via taper." This is extremely discouraging and depressing. I sincerely feel extremely bad for you. I have been there and it sucks! While there are some people who successfully overcome, there are multitudes of others who do not.

I understand the need to reach out and find support and comfort. We all need that at times. But, perhaps you might want to consider changing the topic of this post, if possible, or posting about failing to quit. Even a post, warning others NOT to use suboxone to get off of Kratom, may be good. Those who find your post, are those looking for successful taper stories and methods. They need help and encouragement.

I wish you the absolute best and pray that the means to get free will be availed to you. It sounds like you need inpatient treatment, where you simply cannot access any drugs. I realize that may not be available to you. That is the sucky part for many who simply cannot do it on their own, no matter what the consequences are. I am setting out to quit Kratom. I hope I have success. If I learned anything here, it is to never use suboxone.

Last edited:
I think you?ve misunderstood my thoughts on Suboxone or perhaps I didn?t explain it well. I?m grateful for Suboxone. I was unable to get off Kratom after at least a dozen tries. Suboxone has allowed me to get off a Kratom, not be in withdrawals, doesn?t get me high, it prevents Kratom from ?working? so it prevents relapse, and because of its longer half life and other factors is much much easier to taper. Suboxone has saved my life. Benzos, on the other hand, were a mistake to start taking. However I?ve used the Ashton method for tapering Benzos to decrease my benzo dose to less than 1/4 of my highest dosage. Because of Suboxone and AA I?ve been able to get back to working full time, repaired immense damage to my life and relationships including with my wife, and my life is a million times better than it was a year ago. I?m not going to change the title, because I tried to taper Kratom and found that when you have a heavy habit it is extremely difficult to taper successfully because of the very short half life and the fact that you can?t accurately measure how much of the psychoactive alkaloids are in each dose because it?s just dried up leaves and each batch can vary in potency. People should know what my experience with trying to taper Kratom was, why it didn?t work for me, and what did finally work. Because of Suboxone, AA, and a great Dr I?ve been sober for almost 11 months. The beginning of my story was a living nightmare for many months. But like I said, Suboxone has saved my life and improved my quality of life by a million times. For me it?s MUCH easier to taper Suboxone than Kratom. I?m sorry my story depressed you, but I feel as though it?s ending up, finally, to be a very successful recovery. Yes, I have to keep tapering but by going slow with the tapers it?s almost totally painless. It?s all about going slow and steady with a substance that has a long half life. The half life of Kratom is 2-4 hours, meaning one would have to dose it several times throughout the day and unless it?s dosed again during the middle of the night (halfway through 8 hours of sleep) you?ll wake up in withdrawals. The severity all depends on how long and how much Kratom you were taking. I was taking up to 80 grams a day. I wish you nothing but the best in your effort to get off Kratom. I?m sure you can do it one way or another. I?m not saying everyone needs Subs to get off Kratom. I hope you don?t and can get off of it without them. But I am very pleased with Suboxone. Like I said it not only saved my life but improved it by a million times. I?m doing a slow taper on Valium and Subs, I feel great, I?m sober, my life is coming back together very well, and I owe it all to Suboxone and AA. This story IS a success story. It took a long time to get to where I am, but I?m very happy with the way things are going and am very excited for the future for the first time in several years. For those of you who can?t get off Kratom by tapering or cold turkeying, Suboxone just might be your way out. I?m not saying it?s for everyone, but it definitely did the job for me. Best of luck to everyone struggling with this disease. ??????

Your post makes me think that you didn?t read all the posts, especially the last few. There was definitely some sort of misunderstanding. I highly recommend Suboxone for those that can?t get off Kratom using other methods. Kratom is very hard to taper, all short acting opiates are notoriously hard to taper. I?ve heard a few success stories though, so it is worth a try.

Your post makes me think that you didn?t read all the posts, especially the last few. There was definitely some sort of misunderstanding. I highly recommend Suboxone for those that can?t get off Kratom using other methods. Kratom is very hard to taper, all short acting opiates are notoriously hard to taper. I?ve heard a few success stories though, so it is worth a try.

I read every last one of the posts for hours and hours. I was going through withdrawals and it made me more depressed, lol. I should have been smart and started reading at the end, lol. I have always heard that Soboxone is VERY bad news and certainly worse than Kratom to quit. I think your story gives some credibility to that. Your doctor thought he could use that and wean you off for a few months, and that obviously did not work. Like you said though, at least it does not get you high and have you chasing the dragon. That is the bad part of being addicted to Kratom. You are either high or waiting for the next dose to get high. Then it takes swallowing like 10 grams just to feel it and it gets worse and worse.

My family was out of town for several weeks over the holidays, so I went CT. It was hell for two weeks and purgatory for the next week or so, lol. After a month, I started using a few days a week. I had a ton left over and thought I could handle it. I got back to craving it every day. I ended up recently throwing most of it away, about two kilos. I have a small amount left. The most I have taken is four days in a row and 8 grams in a day. I have some mild withdrawals now when I don't use it for a day or two, but nothing like it was after using 15 to 30 grams a day for over a year. I may have enough to use for two weeks. I am already tapering down and not using every day. I am also throwing some away each time I use to make it run out faster. I have no intentions of buying any more. On the days I don't take it, I can get severely angry at the drop of a hat. It is just not worth it. I am just such a cheap skate that I could not justify throwing all that money away, lol. I finally just did it. I think that was about $300 if I remember correctly. I should have just thrown it all away, but you know that little voice that says, "Keep a little and enjoy it, since you will never do it again." It is the same voice that says, "Go ahead and buy a little more," when it runs out, lol. This stuff is the spawn of Satan.

Swim went from 9g 3x a day to micro-dosing (under 1g) 3x day to taking neltrexone to stop. Adjusted by cutting each almost by half over 3 weeks…not much difference from 9g to 6g, but weird difference from 6g to 2g (felt wd symptoms over the week as body adjusted, anxious, yawning, some sweat). Then difference again from 2g to under 1g per day dose (same thing anxious, yawning, some sweat). Body adjusted over 2 days tops…tapper is the way to go. Quit before off 15g/ day and was not great before this was much less severe but very hard to keep to schedule but wrote each dose down and what time.

Also, started to wait for 1-2 hours in morning to wake up before hand. In that time I took blackseed oil at night 1g and helped a lot. In morning I took a agmantine 1500mg in morning in hopes to potentiate Kratom and worked somewhat. Took ashwaghanda during day to lessen anxious feeling. Started to space out use to 4-6 hours and gave body time to adjust.

It sounds like a lot but was rewarding to stick to schedule and never used until swims body felt was in some type of minor wd. This is a big deal…lessen dosages, start to space out use, add black seed oil.

Was very successful. Lots of horror stories on here but it can be done. When tapering you have to understand you will not feel 100%, but that means you are doing it right. Idea is to keep full blown wd at bay and start to deal with life responsibilities without feeling “high” or great.

Measured each dose, switched strains at the end…went from Maeng Da red, to thai green, to white. It’s been said those have mush different levels of alkaloids so it starts to let your body adjust.