• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Is it safe to Iv Bupernorphine Oral solution from the vet?

BubbaTheCat

Greenlighter
Not going to give a whole story on how I may have come into contact with such a thing but need to know is there any real difference from this chemical acquired from the vet or from the local sub doctor? A little back story tho, Ive been for the past 8 years struggling with a massive opiate addiction leading me to Iv heroin use. For the past year Ive been on subs but just can't afford the price. For the past few months Ive been Iving my Subutex (I know its beyond stupid), financially as a college student I just ant afford all the visits and medications. My question is, is can I inject buprenorphine that was intended for the oral use of a feline? I wish I titled it different because I know nothing no intended to be Ived safe The bottle reads give 2Ml every 8hr then on the lower part of the bottle it states - 0.3mg/ml oral (per ml) BV. I usually injected anywhere from 2mg - 6mg daily, I'm now hurting really bad, and need to last just a few days longer (5) I understand how stupid this is and will down the road have to pay for this at the least mentally in my own way. I Iv human oral pills this is a liquid oral solution, Ive just snorted one of the 2ml tubes to see if anything will happen, as earlier I also downed 30 Immodium, again I know I'm really stupid Im just hurting at the worst time ( as it always is ) aI understand none is great for my health but as I've stated I'm in a bind and really need to feel ok, even just a little better, please save the unrelated health advice, and or moral advice, I know this situation is pretty messed up. Thanks for any help. Ps snorting the tube is not providing the relief needed and I don't have any to waste. Please can someone help me?

Ps. Sorry if I didn't post in right section I'm a long time reader, short time poster.

Update: I did it about 30 mins ago, I feel ok. I guess Ill keep everyone posted.

Update to the update: Not exactly sure how long its been maybe 45mins - 1hr. I feel ok still a little sick but ok nothing like my arms falling off or anything.

Last edited:
Just curious OP, but since when has buprenorphine been used in a veterinary setting? I was a veterinary technician for years and your thread is the first I'm hearing about buprenorphine use in animals. This was some years ago, so maybe it's used in veterinary hospitals now, it just sounds weird. The vet I worked at used hydrocodone without APAP (since animals can't metabolize APAP, it would kill a dog, cat, etc......) and Rimadyl for animals.

In answer to your question, we used many of the same meds on animals that are used on humans. The formulation of the active ingredients is the same. I would imagine that your veterinary buprenorphine is the same as the stuff prescribed for humans.

Just curious OP, but since when has buprenorphine been used in a veterinary setting? I was a veterinary technician for years and your thread is the first I'm hearing about buprenorphine use in animals. This was some years ago, so maybe it's used in veterinary hospitals now, it just sounds weird. The vet I worked at used hydrocodone without APAP (since animals can't metabolize APAP, it would kill a dog, cat, etc......) and Rimadyl for animals.

In answer to your question, we used many of the same meds on animals that are used on humans. The formulation of the active ingredients is the same. I would imagine that your veterinary buprenorphine is the same as the stuff prescribed for humans.

It's actually been recently approved, maybe a year or so ago. I work in a research lab, and our vet has recently had us start using buprenorphine hcl for post-operative analgesia in addition to an NSAID. They also approved an extended release Bupe SR injectable, but that didn't work as well for us.

I wouldn't IV a solution made for oral use, there's no guarantee it's gonna be as sterile or pyrogen-free as solution for IV usage.

If you did it anyway there's probably nothing bad that would happen, assuming the solution is in a clean, sterile, unopened container. If you've been drinking from it or leaving it open on the counter or whatever, then consider it to be possibly contaminated with dust/bacteria etc.

As far as i know, it should be the same as human meds, most pain killers for animals are without paracetamol.
As for it being an oral dose, i would need more information on what it is to see if it needs a base to convert to safe injectible form or if it would just be safe to filter.

I'm new here but i came across a thread called micron mega thread by captain heroin.
And it is very well put together, i envourage you to look at the search feature and find it, just search via his name.
It should help you in your endeavor and if you post name if solution we might be able to know what is needed to make it safe if anything.

I also agree with sekio, i would not inject a substance i did not first test fully.