• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

How long does jaw pain last after taking MDMA?

Koda8473

Greenlighter
Let's say "a friend" of mine took MDMA for the first time about 5-6 days ago. She isn't sure about the amount she took but she took precautions with grinding by chewing gum all night. Each day after taking the drug shes had pain in the jaw that progressively gotten worse to the point where she can barely open her mouth.

I'm guessing this isn't normal? What could be causing it and should she go to the doctor?

No SWIM type posts here please. Sorry, just we know its you and it offers no protection - other than that, welcome to bluelight! :)

If the jaw pain got worse, I'd go and see a doctor. I can't see any reason for it to get worse under normal circumstances. The pain should really have been getting progressively better, not worse.

For future reference, assuming everything checks out, you can use high dose magnesium to reduce/prevent bruxism (gurning/grinding).

Last edited:
She might have pulled a muscle in her jaw or something. I would also see a doc if it gets worse. Could be tmj. Anyway in the future gum doesn't help. Take magnesium before hand and try not to chew and gurn. If you pay attention. You can usually control it to an extent. I used to just open my teeth slightly and try to relax my jaw. I like to try and act sober when im super geeked. It can be hard sometimes. My worst nights (actually mornings) always included gum. For me anyway, its better to keep anything other than blunts and water out of your mouth when rolling.

Getting sore jaw muscles is no more dangerous than going to the gym for the first time and having full power barbell session:
You _will_ get sore muscles and depending on the intensity of the workout, it may take anywhere from couple of days to week or so until the muscles are no longer sore.
It's the same with your jaw muscles: they are not usually clenched for extended periods non-stop. They got their own workout and are now sore due to that.
Take some pain killers if the pain is unbearable, the soreness will eventually go away.
Ohm and they may get tense too with limited mobility. Just like it will happen after too rigorous arm/leg training in the gym.

Sounds like TMJ, which happens when I chew gum. Usually you can get steroid shots from a doc for it, but I doubt you will need it. Avoid gum and MDMA for a few weeks. Surprisingly after an entire night of grinding/chewing on a tshirt I got no TMJ symptoms, but I get them from gum. Even chewing gum for an hour will give me a sore jaw that grinds/pops/gets locked up. Take an aleve and put some icyhot or tigerbalm on your jaw. A heating pad works well too. It should fix itself on its own in a week.

a mate of mine cannot control his gurn. Chews through his tongue every time and has jaw pain of course, but only for a few days. My teeth usually hurt for about a week afterwards but my jaw always hurts for some reason so I don't notice it that much the day after. If it's getting worse you might have done something to the cartilage. Try and just rest your jaw and if it keeps getting worse there's something wrong, it might not even be to do with the MDMA

Whilst I'd usually agree with the above posts and say that they just strained a muscle in their jaw, I find the fact that it has worsened over the course of 5-6 days slightly strange. Hopefully it's fine, but it wouldn't hurt to get it checked out. Especially if it isn't starting to clear up in the next day or so.