• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Please share successful MMT long term detox stories/questions

My3sons

Bluelighter
I've been on MMT since 11/2015. I stabilized at 110 mgs and am down to 45 now. I drop 3mgs every Monday. So far it hasn't been too bad. I have recently been flooded with emotion. Good, bad, sad, happy, mad you name it! I am guessing the numbness is wearing off and I am starting to wake up again. I also don't sleep as well, mild RLS at night and the yawns in the morning. All completely tolerable. I don't expect to go completely unscathed but am wondering if I continue to drop 3 a week, take an extra week here and there if I need to, and stick to my plan if it's possible to finish this relatively painless. I don't want to hear how most people fail. I am very confident that I don't want to do this again. I truly feel ready. I am happier than I have been in years and want this opiate chapter of my life behind me. Please share your success stories and experience with me. I want to hear from that 20%, not the 80% failed population. Feel free to private message me. I also cannot do any type of replacement. I need clean hair and urine. What contributed to your success?

Broke a 10 year 300mg of morphine habit about 6 months ago ( Pain management ). Its not methadone but an opiate is an opiate ( been on enough of them ). I also did a taper. Cutting down to 50% was easy. From 50% down it got harder. From 25% to quit I went to hell. Had 23 or so really bad days from the drop to nothing.

Exercise helped the most ( endorphins ). Knowing it will pass helped alot. Supportive spouse helped alot.

I have been asking myself alot why did I make it through this on the first go when so many fail. The answer I think is pain and discomfort. After 35 years of pain im used to it. Even on high doses of morphine the pain was still there. Withdrawal = pain and discomfort. Alot of things in life are pain... Exercise, Weight control, going to work every day, marriage etc. Life is pain... Dealing with pain/discomfort is purely a mindset. When the withdrawals get bad just keep going.

What ever misery is coming your way now know that you can get past it and not just that... You can use it in other aspects of your life as a conduit for change. Conquer this mountain and the rest will be small hills.

Best of luck
R13

I’ll add my experience to this thread soon. Or post in blogs and link here, as I need to update mine after years of inactivity :)

And for what it’s worth, IME the success rate of something like ORT is more around 20-50%.

I’d highly recommend slowing your taper to 1mg/week and taking a couple weeks off tapering at the 40mg, 30mg and 20mg points. Especially as you get lower, breaks from the taper will make it a lot easier on. With such a taper, I experienced next to no discomfort going down from 90mg to 14mg over the course of about 1.5yrs. It can get frustrating with how long it takes, but by the same token, each time I stabilized on a lower dose I actually got more out of methadone. By the time I jumped off, I far preferred the effects of methadone in terms of therapeutic value (related to experiencing fewer side effects) at lower than higher dosages.

For anyone tapering ORT, I cannot recommend MBSR courses and learning how to meditate strongly enough. It is another topic entirely, but it really facilitates the process. More than you might be able to imagine. And it will also come in extreme handy by the point you need to deal with the transition off and detox. I tend to agree with Noah Levine in that anyone who can find the time and dedication to meditate for even just 30min three times a day for 90 days is more than capable of finding lasting success in early recovery.

With the slow process of an effective taper, meditation really helps deal with the urge to just hurry up and get it over with. The fact of the matter is that a slow taper will set you up for success, whereas a faster taper or just jumping off tends to set people up for relapse. Anyone who can deal with the time and effort of a slow, reasonable taper is more than capable of meeting and overcoming challenges in early recovery. Actually, it is great training while still tapering off ORT in terms of similar challenges you’ll face after you jump off.

A lot about recovery tends to deal with the desire to get wherever you want to be in life already, as opposed to focusing on the here and now, meeting yourself where you actually are instead of spending all your energy stressing out about how you’re not where you want to get down the road. All this takes time; recovery is nothing if not a process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. My biggest side effect as I drop in the 40's is emotional. I can't control my moods. It's like pms times a thousand! Do you think I should hold at 45 Monday or drop to 42?

If you’re feeling unstable hold unstill you stabilize. Then reduce your drop to 1 or 2mg per week as opposed to 3mg. I apologize about sharing my story here, been busy with class work and catching up on sleep. I’ll get to it as soon as I can, which might not be for a few days (FML).

No rush! I'm not going anywhere. I guess I will see how the weekend goes. I wanted to make it down to 30 before taking a break . I have to see the Dr. again at that point. I'm very much looking forward to getting off for financial reasons alone but I also want success and learned what happens when I go too quick when I tried subs first time around.

Good man. You’ll be grateful to yourself if you can just stick with it as long as possible. You gots this :)

I ended up dropping. Naturally I had a UA today because I took Advil Cold & Sinus yesterday. No doubt I'll fail for crystal. That is was my deciding factor to keep going. I'm tired of worrying about drug tests when I am coming up on two yrs clean. It's ridiculous. I am so tired of the clinic and their incessant need to make more money. The more they make the more their services decline. Phew just needed a vent

I ended up dropping. Naturally I had a UA today because I took Advil Cold & Sinus yesterday. No doubt I'll fail for crystal. That is was my deciding factor to keep going. I'm tired of worrying about drug tests when I am coming up on two yrs clean. It's ridiculous. I am so tired of the clinic and their incessant need to make more money. The more they make the more their services decline. Phew just needed a vent
I doubt it'll be a false positive but if it is just ask for gc/Ms confirmation. If it comes back as a false positive they won't make you pay. Least that's how my clinic works.

I understand the money aspect completely. If your ready to be done then hell yeah that's something to celebrate! My best advice is too closely monitor your state of mind and try to be honest with yourself if you feel a relapse coming on.

No doubt it will pop + but they will have to test further and it will come back as a cross contamination. It will be like the 5th time. I'm tired of fearing UAs when I am clean. Then I will get a speech how it's my responsibility to be more careful. My only issue is my inability to control my emotions. I'm not sick at all. I don't feel like relapsing as of now. I really just want all of this behind me once and for all.

I hated dealing with UA’s too man, it’s one of the nice things about moving on. I never had an issue with UAs and pseudo though, only with DXM once or twice, but they never qualified what it was beyond “opioid-like substance,” but still penalized me for it. Frustrating.

Just keep them in the loop, put up with the rigamarole and you’ll get where you want to be. It can be frustrating for sure, but if you can just stick in there as long as you can, it will be considerably more managible.

Tooth, once you get down to 10 & below is your body still going to have much of a WD or detox? It's such a small amount at that point.

You will experience withdrawal if you jump from 10mg if that is what you're asking. It is important to slowly taper down as low as possible. Even then you will still experience some symptoms.

Last edited:
The thought of paying $92 a week for a few mgs a day is painful! Down to 42 from 110 and have been doing this since last Thanksgiving! So I definitely am going slow and steady! I was just hoping at that point it's such a small amount that what's your body and brain really depending on?

Tooth, once you get down to 10 & below is your body still going to have much of a WD or detox? It's such a small amount at that point.

Yup, you’ll still have to go through withdrawal. It won’t be nearly as bad as it would be over 20mg, but it will still be significant. Which is why comfort meds are really a must for anyone transitioning off, regardless of the dose. At or under 10mg, with comfort meds it is really quite managible though.

I would highly suggest tapering down as low as possible. At the very least you need to stabilize at 10mg before you jump. I know it's expensive but it's way cheaper to do it right and be done forever then too half ass it and relapse

My digestive track has literally woken up this week. Opioid constipation is a thing of the past! Every week is a new change. I now have control of my emotions and none of my intestines! This sucks! I bet I will drop atleast half the weight I gained since I started MMT (almost 30lbs) However, after my last run I was grossly underweight. It's all still manageable though and I will descend into the 30's next week! Did you all experience the same type of things? What else should I look foward too. So far no cravings and I hope it will stay that way. I really feel ready. I will join you guys and up the successful stats on bluelight!

Totally, the side effects got way more managible at lower doses, particularly around 30mg. There was less sedation, I was more alert and far more aware generally. I also preferred the slightly more mild mood lift of the lower doses without the sedation that comes with heavy opioids. I really enjoy my time at 40-15mg far more than at higher dosages. I noticed no uptick in cravings just as long as I kept my taper really slow and took regular breaks.

I'm definitely kicking this morning! I must have yawned atleast 50 times, on the verge of sneezing fits, runny nose, tight muscles, and fighting the gags. Phew roIugh start today!

Yeah that's gonna start happening. I suggest you hold at this dose for a few days to let your body catch up to your dose. So many people fuck up by going too fast it almost never works out to there advantage