• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Indica, Sativa, Who Needs 'Em

That is beyond stupid.

I've been to 3 dispensaries so far. The first one I was at was definitely the best and cared the most, although they recently hired a kinda crazy and really loud lady which drove me to look at other dispensaries itself, still a great place regardless, the building doesn't feel like it's falling apart and the staff actually care about things.

Second one I went to was in-between, price wise, got my G13 there and it was a nice place just not a nice building or setup really. The one guy working there was cool though. I knew exactly what I wanted so I can't say whether he was knowledgeable.

Third place... I went for a $20 quarter ounce deal. I get that it wasn't going to be stunning quality 2000% THC or something crazy lol... but holy shit she picked up stems and put them in the bag. As a business and place that dispenses what's supposed to be medical quality cannabis for people who may be dying of cancer, what the hell? I wouldn't even have cared if the stems were attached to something but just throwing solid stems in is stupid. Also they were pretty "get the hell in here, ok you have your weed get the hell out", which is obviously another turn off.

I think you get what you pay for, at least here in Oregon. Not sure about there.

:! Man, that's rough! Hopefully, the other places will stick with the staff who care! Compassion, I should have mentioned is just as important, if not more important, than knowledge.

I feel I may have to lighten up on some of them since today I had a unexpectedly, pleasant experience. Still lucky enough to get deliveries here in CA, so I call up, get a new driver and he turns out to be a super chill dude, hooks it up with free joints and a pretty nice deal on what I bought so that was nice!

There are subtle differences in the effect each strain produces.
Granted, compounds within are the feactor that really effects output, however...

If your able to back to back taste a pure or near pure sativa vs a pure or near pure indica, you can feel differences.

Now, here is where my skill bows out with weed.
With whiskies for example, the cask finish being sherry or american oak is discernable by the the taste.
Fruity dates, sweet apricots, cristmas cake, is sherry cask influence.
American oak tends to offer more vanilla, leathery notes.

There are oooooodles of subtleties bwtween, and i think these weed strains are similiar.
But sativa, tends to be more uplifting, euphoric and psychedelic
Where indica produces more couch lock, heaviness and loss of motivation.

There are subtle differences in the effect each strain produces.
Granted, compounds within are the feactor that really effects output, however...

If your able to back to back taste a pure or near pure sativa vs a pure or near pure indica, you can feel differences.

Now, here is where my skill bows out with weed.
With whiskies for example, the cask finish being sherry or american oak is discernable by the the taste.
Fruity dates, sweet apricots, cristmas cake, is sherry cask influence.
American oak tends to offer more vanilla, leathery notes.

There are oooooodles of subtleties bwtween, and i think these weed strains are similiar.
But sativa, tends to be more uplifting, euphoric and psychedelic
Where indica produces more couch lock, heaviness and loss of motivation.
I definitely agree, only it would be nearly, if not totally, impossible to find a "pure" sativa or indica because of evolution and the plants co-evolution with humans. Even the "land races" which are what seem to be touted as the "pure" versions are unlikely to have never experienced some hybridization. Also a lot of strains grown today have some crossbreeding with Ruderalis to decrease time required to grow the plant and improve resistances.

I definitely agree, only it would be nearly, if not totally, impossible to find a "pure" sativa or indica because of evolution and the plants co-evolution with humans. Even the "land races" which are what seem to be touted as the "pure" versions are unlikely to have never experienced some hybridization. Also a lot of strains grown today have some crossbreeding with Ruderalis to decrease time required to grow the plant and improve resistances.

Yes its artificial selection. There are pure indica and sativa strains out there. They are likely grown in relatively remote places in the world. From what I have researched, some of them havent even been hybridized with ruderalis.

Last edited:
I strongly, strongly agree.

I bet if you did a blindfold test people wouldn't do better than 50/50 at guessing which is indica/sativa.

1)Set and setting make a huge difference for any drug, but because weed is partially a psychedelic, more so
2) There is a huge amount of variation even within pure indica and pure sativa strains
3) Truly pure indica/sativa Is incredibly rare, despite what your seed guy/clone guy/weed guy tells you. The reason weed these days is so good compared to decades ago is the result of decades of cross breeding. Unless you found some schwag isolated in the middle of nowhere, it's not a pure strain.
4) 80% indica 20% sativa means very little. Genetics is a very complicated science that most of us cant even begin to understand. Recessive and dominant genes make 80/20 a completely arbitrary quantification.
5) It's marketing plain and simple. Whenever there is money to be made bending or exaggerating the truth, I would bet both my nuts it is being done.
6) You never hear people talking about the different effects of ruderalis, yet this is by far the most unique strain/subspecies

This is of course just my opinion, but it seems to be a case of "everyone knows that's how it is" "millions of people can't be wrong" more than individuals actually do the research and make a decision themselves with a truly open mind. I believe I have come to this conclusion on my own rather than just accept that because other people believe it, it's true. I have 10 years smoking experience and 3 years experience growing, one of which I spent concentrating on breeding more than harvesting.

Last edited:
Nearly entirely disagree with RROG. You really have to consider if it's actually more of a hybrid than a sativa or indica first. For example Jack Herer is 55:45 but is called a sativa, IMO 55:45 is almost a perfect hybrid. Yes, pretty much everything is a hybrid now, but characteristics of the high definitely mostly follow the lines of whether it's an indica or sativa. My agent orange for example is sativa dominant by quite a bit, but it starts out energizing THEN knocks me out. I've read obama kush, an indica, is pretty energizing, and there are definitely relaxing sativas like hawaiian. But the vast majority in general follow the slight differences in highs between sativas and indicas.

I for one can't stand most of the sativa dominants/sativas I've tried, they just aren't euphoric. The ones that are are more sedating.

Forget about the marketing. Sativa and Indica are 2 different plants with completely different attributes

Forget about the marketing. Sativa and Indica are 2 different plants with completely different attributes

Exactly the point Im making. Hybrids are a cross between strains, so would that mean we as people are creating new species of cannabis through hybridization?