• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Indica, Sativa, Who Needs 'Em

SheWasLvL18

Bluelight Crew
Hey guys! Time for a rant about semantics so bear with me. I just posted a very similar and shorter response that is very similar to the content of this post, but I realized I hadn't seen it mention on Bluelight before so I figured I would create a thread to get your opinions on this as it has been a topic in some circles, as of late.

The terms indica and sativa are known by pretty much any consumer of cannabis and for some they live by one or the other, possibly due to perceived fear, others just because they believe they only like the effects brought on by their favored cultivar (LOL another debate for later is strain vs. strand vs. cultivar). For those who are not familiar, indica strains are associated with a calmer, body high (think tv and video games) while sativas are associated with much more energetic, "racier", more cerebral/heady highs (proponents say they like the mood boosts and extra creativity these strains can provide), however, many say that sativa strains can give them anxiety and others will say indicas make them lazy, or they'll find some other reason for not using all available options.

Now what if I told you that the terms Sativa and Indica mean nothing, in fact purchasing off just these factors can lead to potentially unpleasant experiences for someones who is trying to avoid certain effects, Ill go into more detail in a moment. The reason these terms mean nothing to the consumer is simple, patterns of physical growth do not create the "high" produced by cannabis. What does create the high is a complex mix of cannabinoids, not just THC (I believe they've found about 114 or so cannabinoids), terpenes (hydrocarbons that are found in many plants and fruit, such as limonene, the key flavor in citrus fruits, also found in some cannabis strains.), and other newly discovered, but not fully understood bioactive compounds. The reason each high is different is that each cultivar/strain has a different ratio of these compounds which will produce a unique effect (this is called the Entourage Effect). So knowing what profile is best for your desired results is important, though I understand options is not something a vast majority of people have access too.

The terms indica and sativa are really only useful to someone growing cannabis as it really on describes how the plant will grow, things like height, time till harvest, and potential yields. Plants determined to be indica tend to be bushier (some say short, but I've seen some truly massive indicas, easily larger than myself), produce larger yields, have shorter harvest cycles, and have fatter leaves (probably the iconic pot leaf), while sativas tend to be lankier, usually taller (can be trained otherwise), lower yielding, take longer to harvest, and have thinner leaves. However, as of now we have not been able to correlate these physical growth patterns with the production of specific ratios of cannabinoids, terpenes, and biomolecules, in fact many growers can attest to having a strain that shows all the signs of an indica/sativa during growing stages, but produces effects opposite to what is expected, for example, a strain can be growing and look like an indica, but after analysis will reveal high THC content, high limonene content, low CBD/CBG content, all the markings of a cerebral high, or what would traditionally be a sativa according to common belief.

The reason I mention that this can be misleading or potentially harmful, is because to someone who does not know that cannabinoid/terpene profiles are more important than labels like "indica" or "sativa", they may buy a product expecting anxiety relief due to the label or what they were told and get a product that produces a super cerebral head high that causes them to have panic attacks. If you can look up some of the common terpenes and cannabinoids and the effects they have, information on these should be very easy to find, and purchase based on these metrics if possible. Remember all weed today is pretty much a hybridized bastard of its ancestor, there really are no true "land races" left or pure sativa/hybrid cultivars.

Perhaps before human cultivation and co-evolution sativa and indica strains produced distinct profiles, but that's just speculation and pretty much all weed today is a hybrid in some form. Anyways, thanks for listening to my rant, I hope you guys have some input. Does indica/sativa mean anything to you? Have you found the stereotypes to be true? To be honest I still find myself using the terms as a lot of the times they do seem to be accurate, but with the advances in breeding it seems like things are moving to a whole new level beyond just sativa and indica IMO. Also I urge you to, if possible, explore different profiles and I promise you will find strains on both sides of the aisle that will work for you, not all "sativas" are anxiety bombs and not all "indicas" are going to couch lock you.

Last edited:
I definetely prefer indica dominant weed, I think you're wrong.

The main thing is buying on the street you don't really know what the weed is, people will say shit like "this is bin laden kush grown in afghanistan by terrorists, it will straight kill you" to sell product. Going to a dispensary they generally have a better idea of what the strain actually is.

This isn't my belief just a debate within the communtiy, though I do side with it as the science backs it up. I have been to many dispensaries and if you truly have been to any dispensaries in California since 2016 the quality of flower has gone down (except the small batch exotics from people who actually give a fuck) and the knowledge of the budtenders is completely ridiculous. I once asked if Sour tsunami, a strain that is well known for being a CBD-dominant strain, was CBD dominant as it was not labeled, I swear to god the dumb employee picked the jar up shook it, smelled it and said yeah it's some dank indica. FUCK dispensaries. There are some gems and there is still quality, craft cannabis left, but you have to know where to look and have some cash to spend my friend

Also Im MOST definitely not saying all weed is the same. I definitely believe you prefer a certain type of weed, however, according to THIS potential theory, it's not the fact that it is an indica that you like it, it is because it probably has a better balance of thc/cbd/cbg and probably more relaxing terpenes like linalool or beta-carophyllene.

Though, I absolutely hate leafly it seems they might have even realized that sativa/indica is all about growth (morphology) not bioactive compound production

“The data shows that indica and sativa is just morphology,” Raber says, “It’s a misperception that indica will put you to sleep or that sativa is more energetic.” - Jeffrey Raber, Ph.D

https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/indica-vs-sativa-myth-or-fact

Last edited:
I disagree, in my experience the strains labeled 80% or more indica do tend to have more heavy, couch lock, body high effects and the strains labeled 80% sativa do tend to be more cerebral, trippy and energetic. It might not always be the case, but if I was looking for a heavy couch lock stone I certainly wouldn't go to the dispensary and ask for an 80% sativa strain.

Plus the terms are useful in the sense of describing what kind of high you want. For example if I go to a dispensary and say I want a heavy indica, they know what I mean and will choose an indica strain that "feels like an indica".

There are so many hybrids, 40-60 one way or the other that who knows what kind of high you can really expect?

Let add something i should have said in the first one, clinics/some growers don't care what it was grown as they will label it as they feel best, hence all the bullshit names. Walk into a dispensary and you see 50 different OG's all named after different people, or something worse like "khalifa kush", news flash he doesn't grow. Same with Skittlez, its just rebranded sherbet. I'll admit 80% of the time they are right and when I go to a dispensary I too will say sativa or indica, but i promise you the real high is based on the ratios and there will be the rare indica and the rare sativa that doesn't function as you'd expect.

Yea you wrote a whole essay. Most weeds these days are hybrids and are not 100% sativa or indica. Everything is a hybrid. I powerlift on indicas and sativas and the only difference is that both types eliminate my knee pains from sports injuries.

You just have to go by smell and intuition to figure out what strain is right for you at the moment.

Or grow your own. I have done that in the past and I grow it organic.

Let add something i should have said in the first one, clinics/some growers don't care what it was grown as they will label it as they feel best, hence all the bullshit names. Walk into a dispensary and you see 50 different OG's all named after different people, or something worse like "khalifa kush", news flash he doesn't grow. Same with Skittlez, its just rebranded sherbet. I'll admit 80% of the time they are right and when I go to a dispensary I too will say sativa or indica, but i promise you the real high is based on the ratios and there will be the rare indica and the rare sativa that doesn't function as you'd expect.

But the fact that there are exceptions does not negate the general rule. If all you meant to say was there are exceptions to the rule, you could done so in far less words. But instead you said terms Sativa and Indica mean nothing, and then contradicted yourself by saying they are right 80% of the time.

The terms may refer to morphology but then the question becomes are plants with a short stocky indica like morphology more likely to produce the body high effects they are associated with? My guess would be yes.

But the fact that there are exceptions does not negate the general rule. If all you meant to say was there are exceptions to the rule, you could done so in far less words. But instead you said terms Sativa and Indica mean nothing, and then contradicted yourself by saying they are right 80% of the time.

The terms may refer to morphology but then the question becomes are plants with a short stocky indica like morphology more likely to produce the body high effects they are associated with? My guess would be yes.
You're right i think I had a bit too much last night and probably shouldn't have even been writing. The point I think I was trying to make (and failed at) is basically that we should discover the true source of the effects (ratios) rather than rely on a general rule, that has been found to have many exceptions. I apologize for even starting this thread and might just delete it if possible as I am a little embarrassed, but oh well mistakes happen.

Cannabinoid content is far more important than indica vs sativa. The whole indica vs sativa argument is largely irrelevant if you're not cultivating. It's safe to say that everyone is smoking hybrids, and the only known difference is THC to CBD content which is largely believed to be responsible for the supposed differences. Due to all the cross-breeding that has been going on for the last several decades, it is not accurate to judge the effects of the flower based on whether it is believed to be indica or sativa dominant. Cannabinoid content is the only real way to accurately predict the effects it is going to have.

Cannabinoid content is far more important than indica vs sativa. The whole indica vs sativa argument is largely irrelevant if you're not cultivating. It's safe to say that everyone is smoking hybrids, and the only known difference is THC to CBD content which is largely believed to be responsible for the supposed differences. Due to all the cross-breeding that has been going on for the last several decades, it is not accurate to judge the effects of the flower based on whether it is believed to be indica or sativa dominant. Cannabinoid content is the only real way to accurately predict the effects it is going to have.
^this. Thank you! Also the terpene content too, if you subscribe to arometherapy.

IMO cannabinoids are more important, although it is commonly suggested that terpenes may play a role as well but that role is not clear. I'm not sure how much information there is on how terpenes interact with cannabinoids, but the effects of terpenes are much less pronounced. I believe that the importance of terpenes is a little overplayed in the cannabis community, but that's not to say it doesn't play a role.

My contingency is that a ton of plants contain terpenes and essential oils are basically terpenes, but no one uses aromatherapy to get high. Referring to a cannabis extract as "terp sauce" is a little misleading.

Smoke a kush today and durban poisin tomorrow and that will answer your question.

I totally get what you're going for, OP. Normally in similar debates/arguments I'd be on your side that indica and sativa mean nothing, but I know some pretty intelligent people who aren't generally subject to the placebo effect in ways that would make them think this, and they definitely agree in general sativas and indicas match up with their stereotypical effects. I have limited experience but so far I tend to agree. Of course there are exceptions just like for every other rule, there are buzzy indicas and (less commonly IME) stoney sativas. But in general I feel like it's a good place to start; want a head buzz? Try looking at sativas and sativa dom. hybrids. Want to get to sleep or just relax? Try starting your search for a strain in the indicas.

I totally get what you're going for, OP. Normally in similar debates/arguments I'd be on your side that indica and sativa mean nothing, but I know some pretty intelligent people who aren't generally subject to the placebo effect in ways that would make them think this, and they definitely agree in general sativas and indicas match up with their stereotypical effects. I have limited experience but so far I tend to agree. Of course there are exceptions just like for every other rule, there are buzzy indicas and (less commonly IME) stoney sativas. But in general I feel like it's a good place to start; want a head buzz? Try looking at sativas and sativa dom. hybrids. Want to get to sleep or just relax? Try starting your search for a strain in the indicas.
Yeah, I agree it's a great starting point and safe bet in most cases.

Just wanted to share a funny story. So I recently went into a dispensary and they had Sour Tsunami, which in most cases is grown for a high-CBD and low -THC ratio. However, there batch was unmarked, which is strange as High-CBD is usually marked since it typically won't get you "stoned." Anyways, I ask if it was mostly CBD, just to see what they say. I swear to god, the budtender picks up the jar, shakes it a bit, smells it, and says "Yeah, I think it's an Indica." I was stunned, I knew budtenders were idiots, but this was a new low.

Basically, fuck dispensaries, the best weed never leaves the grower's circles anyways.

I really can't tell the difference between the two, one gets you high, the other... gets you high.

The difference is a lot like the differences in wine. The biggest differences being potency and quality with other differences being subtle and minute.

I agree with the OP that the vast majority of strains we smoke are hybrids, with differences best being described as sedative vs. uplifting.

Indica and sativa landraces are genetically different, though they produce some of the same chemicals, e.g. THC, CBD, etc.

It may very well be that among landraces, indicas are more sedative and sativas are more uplifting. I believe this to be the case. If this is so, it would explain why we colloquially refer to sedative strains as indica, and uplifting strains as sativa; it's just an historical artifact from when strains were more genetically 'pure'.

So, when somebody asks for an indica, they aren't asking for a specific genetic profile, but for an effect profile, although the two may be conflated in their mind.

I don't think it actually leads to much confusion unless you're the one trying to research the relationship between genetics and terpenes

Yeah, I agree it's a great starting point and safe bet in most cases.

Just wanted to share a funny story. So I recently went into a dispensary and they had Sour Tsunami, which in most cases is grown for a high-CBD and low -THC ratio. However, there batch was unmarked, which is strange as High-CBD is usually marked since it typically won't get you "stoned." Anyways, I ask if it was mostly CBD, just to see what they say. I swear to god, the budtender picks up the jar, shakes it a bit, smells it, and says "Yeah, I think it's an Indica." I was stunned, I knew budtenders were idiots, but this was a new low.

Basically, fuck dispensaries, the best weed never leaves the grower's circles anyways.
That is beyond stupid.

I've been to 3 dispensaries so far. The first one I was at was definitely the best and cared the most, although they recently hired a kinda crazy and really loud lady which drove me to look at other dispensaries itself, still a great place regardless, the building doesn't feel like it's falling apart and the staff actually care about things.

Second one I went to was in-between, price wise, got my G13 there and it was a nice place just not a nice building or setup really. The one guy working there was cool though. I knew exactly what I wanted so I can't say whether he was knowledgeable.

Third place... I went for a $20 quarter ounce deal. I get that it wasn't going to be stunning quality 2000% THC or something crazy lol... but holy shit she picked up stems and put them in the bag. As a business and place that dispenses what's supposed to be medical quality cannabis for people who may be dying of cancer, what the hell? I wouldn't even have cared if the stems were attached to something but just throwing solid stems in is stupid. Also they were pretty "get the hell in here, ok you have your weed get the hell out", which is obviously another turn off.

I think you get what you pay for, at least here in Oregon. Not sure about there.

Last edited: