Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Need Advice From Experienced Trippers

LysergicSD

Greenlighter
Okay, so where do I begin?

Basically, a couple of months ago I used to do a lot of drugs. (MDMA, pills, Ketamine, LSD, Amphetamines etc).

I've done acid quite a lot, kinda lost count haha, it got to the point where me and a friend was doing it almost every weekend. (yes, I know doing acid repeatedly can fuck with your head, and it really fucking did, I'm not gunna lie, but I feel grounded again and pretty confident) All of my trips were pretty good, until one day when I had my first bad trip.

I had convinced myself my friend had called the police because I went crazy and bit my tongue off on acid. Half of the reason I'm guessing was because I mixed it with a key/bump of ket. But I was quite familiar with both drugs at the time. Which causes some confusion. It could have also boiled down to the set and setting, etc. The bad trip scared me off acid for two weeks maybe? Those two weeks later me and a different friend got two tabs and whilst we were tripping we kept panicking for a moment, but then coming back to reality a couple of seconds after, we were stuck in this loop throughout most of the trip. At some point after that trip I stopped drugs for a good 10 weeks.

So, getting to the point. I want to take acid again but with a different friend, and I really wanna take a full tab but I just really don't want to have a bad trip, I've looked up a fuck ton of shit about LSD for the past week. The question is, should I take a full tab after a nice break? Like I said I've taken acid many times before so I know what to expect, but I just honestly don't know whether to take a full tab or not.

Last edited:
Tripping on LSD weekly is relatively heavy usage, and would probably be too much for me to handle.

I would suggest taking the full hit. Underdosing a psychedelic can actually increase the potential for a difficult experience with lasting negative consequences, which has been discovered in formal LSD psychotherapy research (Grof), as well as anecdotally by recreational users, myself included.

Last edited:
Haha yeah, I was pretty stupid back then.

I've already planned the setting, and I'm tripping with somebody I feel comfortable with, so I think the odds of having a bad trip will be pretty low. Thanks for the advice! I'm feeling pretty reassured it'll be a good experience.

I dont think there is actual evidence that "under-dosing" a psychedelic can increase negative effects.

In fact, respectfully, you are a well regarded member, but this is completely untrue.
I would definitely suggest ypu approach future dosing with caution. This would apply to any psychedelic from DMT to 2c-I to an NBOMe.

Set and setting are important but thinking their is a magic dose, or that "more" might be bettter is simply unwise.

I want to add the rest of the post was very good, just not the recommendation to take a full dose, based on evidence of it producing less isues.

Sorry, TAC, i know you and your posting is usually spot on. Didnt want someone else to read this and take it verbatim

I dont think there is actual evidence that "under-dosing" a psychedelic can increase negative effects.

In fact, respectfully, you are a well regarded member, but this is completely untrue.
I would definitely suggest ypu approach future dosing with caution. This would apply to any psychedelic from DMT to 2c-I to an NBOMe.

Set and setting are important but thinking their is a magic dose, or that "more" might be bettter is simply unwise.

I want to add the rest of the post was very good, just not the recommendation to take a full dose, based on evidence of it producing less isues.

Sorry, TAC, i know you and your posting is usually spot on. Didnt want someone else to read this and take it verbatim

I'd personally have to disagree with this. All my most difficult experiences on LSD have been from the "not quite there" trips. There's really low doses, like microdosing level, the in between level, and tripping level. Super low doses are fine, you feel "normal" except for some minor changes here and there. No biggy. Tripping level is also fine, you're clearly on drugs and far out. You can accept that and the sheer intensity of the experience should almost force you to "let go". It's the in between stage where you're definitely not "normal" but aren't really tripping either that can really mess with your head. These in between trips cause a lot of anxiety and can lead to some pretty skewed thinking. For me, that's where things tend to get freaky and I end up having a bad time. This isn't always the case, I've taken half a hit and had very good times at parties, but I've also had horrible times just walking around my flat freaking out xD.

I also disagree. While I do agree that taking a McKenna-esque approach is not recommended (ie, you should take a high dose your first time, and there is value in lower doses), I do find, especially with inexperienced trippers, that underdosing tends to lead to more anxiety because the full, desirable effects never develop but the bodyload and weirdness are still there. Recommending someone take a full hit of LSD, when they've tripped before especially, instead of a half is perfectly sensible advice.

There is a point between micro-dose and the full blown experience where things just never seem to feel right. I find this is where most people tend of have difficult experiences because they aren't able to "let go" and accept what the drug is doing to them. I've seen it with LSD and various other substances. Taking baby steps is sound advice if you're experimenting with an RC or something but in the case of the classics I always suggest taking a full dose or nothing at all. Even if it doesn't bother you a half hit just seems like a waste of LSD when you could have taken the whole thing and gotten the full experience. When you're at that level less things creep into your mind to distract you from it. Who has time to worry about the world when the tree across the street is moving and alive with energy? Why buy the ticket and get off the train half way? That's basically what you're doing if you're considering taking half a dull dose.

I've read all of your replies and I've made my decision. Thanks to everyone for all of the advice.

I'm gonna take a full dose. I think taking a full a tab and being in that "fully tripping" moment will distract me from any negative thoughts and emotions. Like HeadphonesandLSD said- "Who has time to worry about the world when the tree across the street is moving and alive with energy?". I also think that letting go would be pretty ideal for me, as when I've had bad trips I've been too busy just trying with all of my will power to get rid of it. I've mentally prepared myself for it and it's Friday I'm gunna be doing it.

I'll make sure to let you all know how it goes.
:D

yeah
when trying to run away or get rid of any mental form, you actually are invoking or triggering it. making more connections to it.
best to let it be,
neither chase nor run away.
enjoy

"Although this might be contrary to popular belief, high-dose sessions are generally much safer. There is no doubt that high-dose sessions present more real or potential problems at the time of the actual pharmacological effect of the drug. Under the circumstances of unsupervised use, the collapse of psychological defenses, the massive emergence of deep unconscious material, the loss of effective control and the resultant lack of reality-testing occurring in high-dose experiences present grave potential dangers. An experienced therapeutic team, however, can usually handle these quite easily. In the long run, the very aspects of high-dose exposures that make them a greater risk at the time of the drug action turn out to be their advantages. Lessened ability to fight the effect of the drug and more complete surrender are conducive to better resolution and integration of the experience. Low and medium dosages activate latent unconscious material very effectively and bring it closer to the surface, yet they also allow an unwilling subject to avoid having to face it fully and deal with it effectively. Sessions of this kind can result in feelings of excessive fatigue after the experience, a sense of incompletion, various unpleasant emotional and psychosomatic aftereffects, and prolonged reaction or a precarious emotional balance conducive to later recurrences ('flashbacks')."

—Stanislav Grof, M.D.

Granted, the OP probably isn't taking LSD with an "experienced therapeutic team", but the point remains that high dose sessions are generally more auspicious in an appropriate set and setting.

Last edited:
I wanted to chime in too as I've never heard this. And I don't have enough personal experience in low dose psychedelic therapy (I'm not talking about self medicating here) to agree one way or the other. Of course, my knowledge on Grof's work is lacking. If anyone has a link to lead me to read more...id appreciate it.