• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Energizing quality

Foreigner

Bluelighter
I notice when I smoke pot, especially sativas, I get really energized.

Right now I'm normally bedridden (long story) but when I smoke a pinner of sativa I'm able to get up, do some chores, even do body stretching, before finally getting exhausted and going back to bed. Normally it's not possible for me to really do all that.

Is this a factor of dopamine, or something else?

I ask because I'm concerned that it's acting as a sort of stimulant or something excitatory, and I may be self-harming by overdoing it without realizing.

I often use cannabis as my secret second wind weapon, and not just to move around physically but it also helps on cerebral problems when I've been throwing myself at a wall mentally for a while and can't make progress, coming back to it after a brief session lets me get back to powering through the task.

The serotonergic effects of THC are documented but I think the anti-fatigue effect is something else, maybe to do with vascular dilation or an effect on blood sugar. It's hard to pin down any single smoking gun cause due to the number of psychoactive compounds in addition to THC, though it does seem likely this anti-fatigue effect is related to something happening in the brain

Oh hey, I almost forgot the most obvious potential cause: increase in blood oxygen concentration! Cannabis is well known to have "acute bronchodilatation" effects[1]