• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Benzo Tolerance

DidISayMeow?

Greenlighter
So I've been taking benzos for a while now, usually alprazolam or clonazepam. I used to get messed up on just about 4 mg of either benzo, but lately i've noticed that I don't even come close to desired effects with 10+mg, unless I had alcohol into the mix which I try not to do. Any suggestions on how to potentiate or anything?

by the way this is my first post, I'm new, but I come here often for "research". I just finally decided to sign up today. So hello everyone!

*Edit* I've read about different ROA's such as SL or snorting or parachuting etc. I've tried them all, I don't like snorting them because i think it's a waste, but I can't decide which is better, just chewing them, sublingual use or parachuting. Any insight would be appreciated.

I've heard white grapefruit juice potentiates benzos,

or just take a tolerance break.

If you are taking 10mg or more of those potent benzos you need a long tolerance break. taking doses that high especially with alcohoI means your GABA system is fucked up possibly for life.

Yeah im dealing with similar issues.
I consider me having to take 4+ mgs of Xanax or clonopin with maybe 10-20 mgs of Valium to feel ok is not good.
You will reach a point where chasing a high will be the last of your worries, withdrawals will be instead.
You don't understand how much I despise having to take a bar first thing when I wake up and I'm not prescribed so it's not guenrenteed I'll have a supply from a doctor to rely on.
10 mgs+ with alcohol is something that I haven't even done yet and I'm physically addicted, no severely, but still I am. You are reaching the fine line of reaching dependence if not already in my opinion, because those type doses are just black out drooling doses even for me with a tolerance.

How are you able to do this? Do you take benzos once a week ? If so I think you got fake pills, because real Xanax 10 mgs is just an incredible amount. Can you skip a week and feel the same if you stop other than cravings ? I guess gauge how bad this is because benzos are the real deal

I think OP has the kind of Xanax tolerance I have. I'm RXd 8mg daily (legit, for panic disorder) and I don't feel a thing. I'm also RXd roxys (legit, for chronic pain) and, unless I take huge amounts of either, I don't feel a thing. In order for me to feel benzos, I have to take about a week of not taking benzos ( with almost guaranteed seizures), or take 1-2 bars/day for a week, then do about 20mg of Xanax, with a lot of strong opioids. I have been on the opioid/benzo/alcohol/opiate combo for so many years that it takes huge amounts of everything (with the exception of IV heroin, which I haven't done in years) to feel it good. I agree with Ovo that you have probably altered your brain chemistry towards them for life. I have been told exactly the same thing by multiple "veterans", including a friend that is a Pharm D.

As someone that's been on xanax daily for 7 years all I can say is run. If you're taking 10mgs and not feeling anything you seriously should stop.

I've heard white grapefruit juice potentiates benzos,
or just take a tolerance break.
WGJ only helps with certain benzos that are metabolised by CYP3A4

As others have said, you need a tolerance break (but ime with GABAergics tolerance never really decreases) and imo you should stop messing with benzos alltogether. Getting fucked up on benzos is imo a really bad idea as physical dependence doesn't take that long and withdrawal can be hell on earth and can even kill you in the worst case.

I can stop taking them whenever I want, even go a week or two without them, no WDs and I still don't get the desired effects from taking a handful of them, unless I mix alcohol with them, which I do not like to do as I had said before. And no they are not fake, they are all prescriptions. I used to get 60 1mg xans from my doc and told him they stopped working because i would finish the script in a little over a week. so he switched me to 2mg clons and i eat 4-6 of them and don't really feel anything...i'll get a nice calm feeling for about 10 minutes but that's about it.

Also, I guess another way I would feel them is if I mainlined some H but Ive been clean from that for almost 2 years, never going back to that. Ever.

Yeah im dealing with similar issues.
I consider me having to take 4+ mgs of Xanax or clonopin with maybe 10-20 mgs of Valium to feel ok is not good.
You will reach a point where chasing a high will be the last of your worries, withdrawals will be instead.
You don't understand how much I despise having to take a bar first thing when I wake up and I'm not prescribed so it's not guenrenteed I'll have a supply from a doctor to rely on.
10 mgs+ with alcohol is something that I haven't even done yet and I'm physically addicted, no severely, but still I am. You are reaching the fine line of reaching dependence if not already in my opinion, because those type doses are just black out drooling doses even for me with a tolerance.

How are you able to do this? Do you take benzos once a week ? If so I think you got fake pills, because real Xanax 10 mgs is just an incredible amount. Can you skip a week and feel the same if you stop other than cravings ? I guess gauge how bad this is because benzos are the real deal

Taking the amount I do now used to be blackout droolness for me as well, which is what I kind of enjoy, but I can also stop for a week or two and still eat a handful and feel nothing.

You're risking becoming addicted to a substance that at the levels youre taking could lead to life threatening withdrawals and in return you get 10 minutes of calm. Maybe try meditation instead.

Taking the amount I do now used to be blackout droolness for me as well, which is what I kind of enjoy, but I can also stop for a week or two and still eat a handful and feel nothing.
Yep, we're in the same boat my friend. I remember when benzos and pain pills were fun (I also remember when heroin was fun, but the honeymoon phase with that shit becomes a hell that is all consuming. I'm never going down the heroin road again either, it was 21 years of the shit being in the way more than anything). Nowadays, 20mg of Xanax and 100mg + of roxy is child's play. There's really no sense in trying to get high on benzos now dude, we've both passed that point. I've long since found it's best to eat them as prescribed and let them do what they were designed to do, which they will if you're prescribed a high enough dose.

You need to start lowering your benzo dose. Unless you have a seizure disorder, your current dose is too high.

I would start cutting your pills into quarters or eights. Every week or longer if needed, drop the smallest amount every week or two, but stick to some schedule.

It might take you a few months or longer, but eventually you will dial your benzo usage down to a normal level.

Btw, alcohol simply makes things worse. The drinking should be lowered first.

Lowered is key. Take time, but I cannot recommend any potentiation. Potentiating the pills simply raises your tolerance in the long run.

Like stated earlier, your current dosage is already high. Starting to lower it now will save you pain in the future.

Well my friends, I have lowered my dose. I just supplemented a few somas to reach that desired effect. Still working on the dosage to not make me an absolute fool. I took 4 mgs of kpins and 5 somas and fell down and hit my head raking leaves, yes i thought raking leaves would be fun on this combo. A few stitches later I'm trying 2 mgs and 4 somas. I could eat 8 somas at once and feel nothing, until I hit 10 then I was just out. Waking up in the hospital.

*sighhhh*...ugh I was going to comment on this thread and give the good personal knowledge I have on the matter, but this dude is beyond helping I think and I see no point.....after everything in the thread, he goes and downs a bunch of fucking somas with his benzos.....so despite the fact that the obvious answer (after lowering tolerance or ceasing use) hasn't been posted, I'm not bothering. OP you can do some research and find out for yourself- unless another user is more tolerant of your absolute disregard of everyone and their words and show of disrespect to everyone, and is nicer than myself to decide to provide you with the specific solution I'm holding.

Everyone here has a great point that you need a break dude. And Speed King made an excellent post, one which you should really give attention/thought to. It holds weight.
He- and everyone else here make a whole lot of sense. But you actively chose to ignore and disregard them, you essentially gave them the middle finger (which is like saying "fuck you"- for anyone outside the United States).
You choose instead to boost your high dosage clonazepam with high dosage carisoprodol??? "to lower my benzo dosage"......are you fucking kidding me dude???

I'm sorry but I need to stop now because I'll go on and on, this kind of stupid ass shit and complete disrespect to the people trying to help you really just steams me....

Good luck OP and don't kill yourself- though I'm not counting on it (sorry)......

::edit:: OKAY, on 2nd thought and some time to cool off, I remembered this is a harm reduction forum and I contributed nothing of value in that regard and despite my current feelings towards you, I still feel obligated to help- given multiple factors..

Look, what has already been said is the absolute best advice here. But if you're insistent on disregarding and ignoring them, then gabapentinoids would be your best bet. Things like Gabapentin (Neurontin), Pregabalin (Lyrica), or even Phenibut. If you choose to go any of these routes MAKE SURE you do all necessary research FIRST. AND START LOW- on both your booster of the aforementioned, as well as your benzo.

-PA.

Last edited:
Sometimes it is difficult to deal with frustration in this business. I really appreciated that you cooled off and clarified you post.

OP, given your unfortunate experience with this, it’s a really great time to work on addressing you issues with the challenges of substance use. Do you have any idea where you’ll go from here?

Thank you Toothpastedog. I try my absolute best/hardest to help others (just my nature), though every great once in awhile, something/someone will really get to me (like this) that make it very difficult to do so....but I have way too strong of a damn conscience....anyway, very much appreciate you taking notice. Not needed but it definitely is nice, and a natural motivator to do good/right ☺

OP-- if you're still among the living, definitely give my suggestion of gabapentinoids a try. As long as you get the dosages right, I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

-PA

As a benzo user for therapeutic purposes, it sounds like you just want to abuse your meds to get high. This makes it difficult for the rest of us that need this medicine legitimately. You are straight up abusing your medicine by adding alcohol and god knows what else to the mix when you might be blacked out.

You need to quit that stuff so the rest of us that need these medicines to live can get our medicine. You make us look bad. You are a drug addict, you are not managing any symptoms. Get some fucking help.