• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Kava and anti-psychotics

broken_beats

Greenlighter
Can you drink kava while on anti-psychotics? Specifically Latuda and Abilify? Does anyone have any experience with kava while on anti-psychotics?

Yes one can. I'm wondering though why you would feel the need to. Since this is MH, we generally tell people to abide by how the psychiatric system works. Kava has a range of actions, a few of which could make your brain less healthy. It might be better to tell your doctor if something isn't being addressed, especially considering that anti-psychotics aren't prescribed lightly.

Thanks. I am also prescribed 2 Valium twice a day for anxiety. I drink chamomile tea too to help relax. I was thinking that Kava may be an alternative option to the chamomile. I don't want to ask for more Valium as what I am prescribed is enough to help my anxiety.

It's strong enough to be considered a substance. Ask your doctor. In general, I haven't known a doctor to say no to a cup of chamomile, but I've known them to prefer that the only psychoactive things that go in your brain, outside of caffeine/nicotine, to be prescribed by them.

Do you feel the need for something like kava? What's your motive? Curious.

Thank you for the replies. I will check with my doctor before I buy any, you're right.

From what I've read it seems a good way to help relax and may help me sleep better as well. I have used a lot of benzos in the past so won't deny I definitely enjoy that relaxed sort of high.