• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Ether of 2M2B

Neuroprotection

Bluelighter
Many on this site already know about the favourable effects of tert-amyl alcohol e.g. long duration of action, no hangover, toxic aldehyde and extra euphoria compared to ethanol. I am wondering what one will get by combining two molecules of tert-amyl alcohol into a ether called di tert-amyl ether. I already know about the compound tert-Amyl methyl ether ,which should never be considered for human use given its possible hydroloysis into highly toxic methanol.

What are your thoughts and opinions on di tert-amyl ether?
Thanks

I'll leave this open, but keep in mind synthesis discussions are not allowed.

Sorry I did not mean to imply synthesis technique just wanted to properly describe the compound di tert-amyl ether to avoid confusion with other ethers and focus discussion on this compound. Thanks

Di tert amyl ether would likely be inactive or poorly active, in general larger ethers like dibutyl ether are not as effective as diethyl ether... efficacy as a sedative decreases with longer alkyl chains (so butane is more potent than hexane which would be much more potent than something like octane or decane... I don't think decane is active as a sedative, it may be, but ether/butane are more abused than heavier solvents for a reason.)

Also the synthesis of di-tert-amyl ether would be much more difficult and lower yielding than diethyl ether because under acidic conditions needed for synthesis, tertiary alcohols like t-butanol or t-amyl alcohol are more prone to dehydration to isobutene and 2-methyl-2-butene respectively. Ethanol does not dehydrate in the synthesis of diethyl ether unless temperatures in the reaction get too high.

Williamson? (will leave it at that) No need for searing concentrated sulfuric acid in that case.

I don't know about dibutyl ether, never encountered it. But diisopropyl ether is certainly active. Doesn't taste as good orally though as EtOEt. Still plenty intoxicant potential however. Never tried di-n-propyl ether or propylisopropyl ethers though.

Diisopropyl ether is very dangerous to have around because it is quick to form the crystalline solid peroxide that is explosive. When I was in college we found a clear glass bottle of student prep of this compound according to the handwritten label & the good-sized bottle was filled with beautiful colorless crystals of this peroxide. Rather than cause a fuss, we took it outside & buried it.

Regarding the general OP of ethers of 2M2B, 2-methoxy-2-methylbutane or ter-amyl methyl ether (TAME) is a relatively new fuel oxygenating compound intended to replace MTBE in gasoline. There is a lot published on this because regulatory authorities don't want to throw this out into the environment before studying it thoroughly. It is said to have 'narcotic' effects on inhalation (drowsiness, dizziness). It is metabolized to 2M2B (also called TAA for tert-amyl alcohol) & methanol in the body, so you might look at it as an inhaled prodrug of 2M2B. There are a number of companies listed as producing TAME but I don't see any mail order availability as a RC. It might be possible to request a sample. Please note that like all lower alkyl ethers, it is very flammable. It may be available from some of the e-commerce companies.

The basic problem with this inhalation route is the small amount that you could ingest via inhalation before you couldn't handle any more. You certainly could not inhale 5 grams of this in one sitting. The other problem is the known neurotoxic effects of the co-product methanol.

2-methoxy-2-methylbutane.jpg

Last edited: