• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Can't get high on codeine anymore.

chemhead

Greenlighter
I've been abusing codeine from past 4 year's. I was off it for a couple of weeks. Since then I'm not getting high on codeine at all. There's no euphoria at all. It's not my tolerance either cuz I've tried 600 mg at one shot and nothing happens. Does anyone know why?

It's definitely tolerance. Opiate tolerance takes longer than a few weeks to start going down considerably. That all depends on your body and it's chemistry however. It usually takes me less time (I'm small and have a high metabolism), but still in the range of weeks.

Also, I hope you don't actually shoot it because I've read that codeine cannot be shot and will often result in complications.

Also, I hope you don't actually shoot it because I've read that codeine cannot be shot and will often result in complications.

That was my first thought. I don't really know why it's dangerous to IV I remember something about it causing potentially fatal lung complications but that's about all I know. I'm pretty sure IV usage isn't used in therapeutic settings, I think when patients who receive codeine by injection it's subcutaneous or IM (I don't recommend trying either method, unless you have medical grade vials because pill fillers can cause abscesses when used this way.) I think therapeutic use of subconscious and IM codeine are pretty rare (in the US at least) most likely because it isn't included in hospital formularies, they tend to choose stronger stuff, morphine is usually their first line of opioid painkillers.

I also believe it's tolerance. If it is tolerance you can try a therapeutic or very low recreational dosa of DXM 30mins before the codeine (cough meds containing dextromethorophan Delsym , Robitussin, etc), antihistamines such as diphenhydramine, promethazine or hydroxyzine also I heard grapefruit juice works. I can vouch for the DXM and antihistamines, but be careful with both, but be especially careful with DXM it kinda knocks down your tolerance temporarily and antihistamines add to the nod. I REALLY THINK THIS IS A VERY BAD IDEA but you're an adult (hopefully) and can make responsible well informed decisions, you always could switch to a stronger opioid. If you're new to painkillers other than codeine, hydrocodone (Vicodin,NORCO), that's what many people start with but if 600mg of codeine isn't getting you high you might need something stronger like oxycodonw (Percocet, OxyContin) but feeding an addiction to opioids is a bad idea, the addiction usually gets out of control very quickly and ends in misery.

Be careful and have a good time :)

The biggest danger of injecting it is it causing a big histamine reaction that can cause the user to go into anaphylactic shock which is potentially fatal.

Injecting codeine is a big no-no.

A break is your best bet, or a period of time where yo use as little as possible, just enough to not get bad withdrawals, do that for 1-2 weeks (the longer the better), and then try your recreational dose again. Also, try using an antihistamine along with it (like diphenhydramine, promethazine or preferably hydroxyzine). This might help boost the high also.

I wouldn't go over 600mg either, there isn't too much to be gained from increasing your dose even further. The ceiling effect of 400mg isn't strictly true in my experience, but a lot more isn't that great. Over about 5-600mg the side-effects start to outweigh the recreational effects for me so I usually don't go over 600mg or so like yourself to get the best high that I can out of it.

OT: not high, some residual methadone effects I guess. Gonna go pick up the hydromorphone in a wee 30min. :)

Well I've tried dosing DXM, Phenergan, CPM and other antihistamines to potentiate codeine. But nothing seems to work, no euphoria at all. I live in India and codeine is the only opioid I can get from a chemist. Tramadol too, but I hate it. If I need stronger opioids, then it's either pentazocine or heroin which I don't wanna do. I don't wanna go the IV way. I mean after dosing 600 mg, I should have felt something. But only the side effects except for euphoria.

What exactly did you feel? Euphoria is subjective as hell. Even after breaks of sobriety, my levels of euphoria from everything from a few tramadol to excessive amounts of oxy and heroin never compared to when I was a new user of opioids.

I'm not expecting to feel the same way I did when I first started abusing it. I have been on codeine for 4 year's. Almost every day. So I'm used to knowing my level of tolerance. I have also taken several tolerance break in the past. Could it be possible my body is rejecting the drug? Or maybe it's just plain and simple tolerance issue I've never faced before.

Gotta upgrade at least to morphine, hopefully oc'z, but be warned, these opiates are strong compared to codeine.

The biggest danger of injecting it is it causing a big histamine reaction that can cause the user to go into anaphylactic shock which is potentially fatal.

^^this^^

Also, most likely it is ur tolerance.

Stay safe..

I barely got any effects from codeine as it is, but honestly this sounds like a tolerance problem to me.

Ever try combining tramadol & codeine?
That always made for a lovely high during the period I was able to abstain from oxy for a few years.
I preferred tramadol out of the two, but adding codeine made it more sedating. And the tramadol caused the euphoria.

I know you said in 1st post you don't like tramadol, but a combo might be worth a try? It kept me off the stronger stuff for quite a while... And it's better than going straight for the hard stuff. I never considered pentazocine that strong though. I just didn't like its kappa affinity. Gave me nasty side effects so I didn't use it for very long.

I like Kratom better than codeine anyway. In fact I like Kratom about as much as a solid dose of hydrocodone. Honestly I might prefer Kratom OVER the hydrocodone/oxycodone I used to take. Now that I am used to it, Kratom might be my favorite opioid agonist... It has that warm energizing serotonin buzz on top of the opioid floaty feeling, and it's so affordable, and there's no fucking acetaminophen.

I seem to need about the same amount, sometimes even less Kratom than when I started to get a "this is gonna be a good day" feeling.

Ever try combining tramadol & codeine?
That always made for a lovely high during the period I was able to abstain from oxy for a few years.
I preferred tramadol out of the two, but adding codeine made it more sedating. And the tramadol caused the euphoria.

I know you said in 1st post you don't like tramadol, but a combo might be worth a try? It kept me off the stronger stuff for quite a while... And it's better than going straight for the hard stuff. I never considered pentazocine that strong though. I just didn't like its kappa affinity. Gave me nasty side effects so I didn't use it for very long.

If this is a metabolism problem rather than a tolerance problem, tramadol won't work either. They both get metabolized from prodrugs into their active compounds via the same metabolic pathways. So either both should work or neither.

And yeah as others have said, the problem with IV codeine is histamine reactions. It's more the speed of onset that's the problem than anything else. So SC and IM can work with lower doses since there's some for the histamine to be handled. IV is just way too fast. You can't safely IV codeine.

Since the thread title says 'can't get high on codeine anymore, I assumed it's not a metabolism problem.

Since the thread title says 'can't get high on codeine anymore, I assumed it's not a metabolism problem.

I wouldn't think so either. I mean, generally speaking the enzyme that metabolizes this stuff is encoded in your DNA, you either have it or not. But the realities of biochemistry are extremely complicated and I'd prefer not to entirely rule out a metabolic issue just because I can't think of how it could happen. I mean obviously it wouldn't be that suddenly you're just naturally a poor metabolizer like some people are when you weren't born that way, but I dunno, maybe something else causing enzyme inhibition maybe?

Obviously regular old tolerance is by far the most likely explanation, but you never know. I certainly don't feel confident enough in my understanding and knowledge base in this field to discount it entirely.