• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Do you find weed to have a sudden "I'm high" feeling, or can it be very slowly ramped

The Network

Bluelighter
Do you find weed to have a sudden "I'm high" feeling, or can it be very slowly ramped

We're assuming you're smoking a strain that say, hits right away, and you're able to take say 30 seconds between hits to listen to your body to see how high you are, so don't worry about "it'll wear off before you feel the effects!" or anything.

When you're finely controlling how much weed you smoke, once you get to the minimum level of highness to "feel" it, is it suddenly like a significant rush, or can you very slowly ramp up the effects from "just slightly altered" to "out of it" with fine control in between?

Well as one of my first times actually smoking weed (tried synthetic cannabinoids in the past, nothing in years otherwise, but I like BL and reading about drugs so I stuck around), and I can report that it was, in fact, one hit... nothing... one hit.... nothing... one hit... suddenly completely altered, there was absolutely no smooth ramp up like accelerating a car. Alcohol is much more finely-tunable in my opinion.

Well as one of my first times actually smoking weed (tried synthetic cannabinoids in the past, nothing in years otherwise, but I like BL and reading about drugs so I stuck around), and I can report that it was, in fact, one hit... nothing... one hit.... nothing... one hit... suddenly completely altered, there was absolutely no smooth ramp up like accelerating a car. Alcohol is much more finely-tunable in my opinion.

You're right. It's because you can dose alcohol incredibly slowly if you want to, one sip at a time. Weed has a very sudden "I'm high" feeling, like you said. It's not nearly as practical to try to dose weed slowly. You can take small hits but each hit will be followed by a peak and then a decline as opposed to the gradual increase in effect you can get from alcohol.

Weed also having a psychedelic effect, tends to suddenly make you aware that you're in an altered headspace.

I disagree. Way back in my beginning days with cannabis, it was like this. But once tolerant and accustomed to it and its effects, it's become more of a titrating effect as well with each hit adding to the feeling, with the first producing little effects and gradually increasing with each hit. Just like alcohol.

It also depends on individual biochemistry and strain, as well as method of consumption.

-PA

Prehaps the fact smoking cannabis has a slightly longer onset of action (disputed by varying from anywhere between 2.5 to 10 minutes and also depending whether you are smoking it in a spliff, bong or by vaping ect.) can sometimes lead to being tempted to take repeated hits as the effects may not be initially instant (when compared to smoking crack cocaine which has an almost instant onset).

It could possibly be this temptation to take repeated tokes or hits, as the effect is not immediate, which may lead you to accumulated higher and higher dosages which subsequently results in a peak of a relatively high dose which may give you the surprised or uneasy feeling of suddenly feeling really high if you were not expecting it! That has be my experience in the past but may vary considerably between individuals. If this is becoming a negative issue how about trying to space out the time between hits - 30 seconds is probably not long enough to experience the peak effect of what you have just smoked.

Last edited:
What Elvis says holds some weight too. I personally prefer taking long sessions because it gives me more control over my high, taking a little time between hits- certainly much more comfortable and relaxing that way. Really hate having to sneak around and hold fast stealth sessions.

-PA