• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Melatonin, blocks and reverses tolerance

Neuroprotection

Bluelighter
According to some reports, the hormone/neurotransmitter Melatonin can prevent the development of tolerance to many psychoactive drugs. In addition it supposedly reverces tolerance completely once it has occurred. The drugs most affected by Melatonin are the Stimulants, benzodiazepines and opioids. According to one study Melatonin could enhance the rewarding affects of Morphine in rats possibly due to suppression of Neuronal Nitric Oxide Synthase (NOS). This is without providing its own psychoactive affects and polluting the experience. This is however a common problem with trying to use NMDA antagonists to potentiate opioids and reduce tolerance. Of course this may seem to good to be true, but it may provide a lead for development of small molecules that could stop and reverce tolerance for good. I have already posted a similar thread long ago which focused on Benzodiazepine tolerance, so sorry if it seems like I am repeating the same topic.
I would be very grateful if anyone who has combined Melatonin with other drugs could post their experience.
What do you all think

I'm really interested in where you have got this (dis)information from.

Just an anecdotal note: I've used 3 mg melatonin for sleep for 15 years and it has had no effect whatsoever on on benzodiazepines, dissociatives, psychedelics or cannabis.

The reason i do not post links unless someone helps me is because i am blind. As i have stated in my posts these studies might not translate to dramatic results in humans. However they are a starting point, and like many things in medicine countless failures will occur before a single success. We should not give up hope that we will see the back of tolerance for good. On a side note, does anyone think that drug tolerance is a protective mechanism or a built in miscalculation by our bodies. I am starting to worry that if tolerance is completely reversible could some new dangers and problems occur. Thanks these are the links:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27012766

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10407111

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0924977X96003811

Maybe it you want to attempt to reverse toleranelce you might have to stop using all those drugs for a few weeks apart from the melatonin. However I can not promise it will work and this is all just theory.

i was browsing the forum so i didnt have prepared links to go with but ive used melatonin versus amphetamines and cocaine's comedown effect to which i have also used benzos and opiates which worked amazing but melatonin felt somehow much much different. it didnt really relax or clam or make you sleep in the normal sense but it kind of enhanced the effects and kind of mellowed the edge while same time kept it going longer with some strange sensations. when compared to benzos or opiates, these two dominated their field and took over and thats just it, you are either super sedated or opiated. melatonin on the other hand always did this in a more complex fashion, which as natural neurosteroid and all would make sense to cause something complicated in comparison.
but anyway, apart from personal opinion, i read reports and articles on melatonin and cocaine and stimulants in general and they did confirm it neuroprotects and somehow alters their mechanism in various way, pathways. i think it wont be hard to research this on your own if you care enough, i just stumbled on this thread by browsing and im not too enthusiastic to google references, but just share my personal experiences which date way back :)