Mental Health Literature or other useful/beneficial things for the grieving/mourning?

PerpetualAnhedonic

Bluelighter
Say......one were to.....call it a day in the very near future...... anyone have any ideas for helping their loved ones come to terms with it- things that could be left for them to read/watch/absorb/etc upon checking out...?

Strangely, I got this idea from a thread in the P&S forum sometime last year. A thread which I'd likely include in such a compilation.

Any and all ideas are welcome and greatly appreciated, and in as timely a manner as possible would be nice.

Wish I'd have signed up for BL sooner and been able to contribute more than I have (as much as it and it's members have positively contributed and impacted me over the years, preferably).....but was always too cautious/worried/paranoid lol.....well, what do ya do....

Thanks all- for any good input here, and for everything else. I love this community.

-PA

Last edited:
Music. Do you play an instrument? Even if you don't, sitting at a piano and just searching for notes that make you feel something can be therapeutic. I play guitar and piano and it definitely helps with mourning. Also listening to music.

Talking to people on forums related to the topic of losing loved ones or mourning, etc.

Being around people, try not to be alone with your own thoughts too often and stay busy, stimulated, and express how you are feeling to people you are close with or trust.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you're talking about killing yourself, right? The best way to help your loved ones will be to stick around! I know life can be hard and I obviously don't know what your life has been like or what you've been through and perhaps it really seems like there's no other way out, but to me the fact that you have loved ones in your life that you are concerned about and that you know would miss you when you are gone, tells me that your death is not the answer!

I'm probably not the best equipped to be giving advice but I would really urge you to reach out to some of these people that you love and tell them how you're feeling and ask for help. If you're seriously thinking about this then you really need to reach out for help from somewhere... perhaps you've tried this before and perhaps it sounds cliched but there are resources out there, try to get some kind of treatment or counselling... no matter how bad things seem now they can always get better, and if you decide to end things then you will never get to see how good things could have got between now and a the more naturally determined end that eventually comes to us all.

I think this thread would be more suited to the Dark Side although you might not see it that way and you might get a bit more support there. Either way I hope you can hang in there and I hope that you can find the strength to ask the opinion of someone else close to you, no matter how hard it might be... although I'm not saying this is definitely the case in your case, a high proportion of the time suicidal thoughts can be linked to some kind of psychological dysfunction which is impeding your ability to reason, and if this was the case, then it's a possibility that you might be about to make an irreversible error of judgement... I think you owe it to yourself to get some kind of outside perspective on that possibility, beyond what is possible in an online forum.