• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Spilt Methylated Sprits on some MDMA

xdownstairsx

Greenlighter
Don't ask me how or why it was sitting out in the open and I understand it's fucking dumb of me.

I was cleaning and had accidentally spilt a few drops of methylated spirits on my MDMA crystals (not enough to submerge, only a few drops).

From my understanding, isopropyl alcohol is used to wash during prep and then dried off. Then theoretically, if I now sat the crystals under a lamp, would this be mimicking the same process since they are both forms of alcohol?

Simply allowing it to dry out *should* be okay. Before consuming it you want to first test that there are no additives that will be left behind in the sample once the methanol+ethanol evaporates off. To do this, take a really clean flat/smooth piece of glass/mirror and place a few drops of your methylated spirits on it. Allow to evaporate and see if there is a residue left behind on the glass/mirror. If there is no residue left your sample will be fine. If there is a definite residue left this will also remain in your MDMA sample once it dries out. Of course, you won't know the identity (and therefore toxicity) of this hypothetical contaminant just from doing this test, but you might be able to find out if you can find a copy of the MSDS for the particular brand and product of methylated spirits you have.

Thank you! I'll be doing the test tonight to make sure.

After looking through the MSDS, the only real issues appear when methylated spirits react with strong oxidising agents.

A drop or two, once dried out isn't going to poison you. Might stink something nasty if its got pyridine in there, but even then the quantity would be minute from a couple of drops of methylated spirit. Theres only a tiny amount of pyridine in a bottle of the stuff of that kind and after dividing that into a single drop or two...there would be microscopic amounts in there if it was present to begin with (you know pyridine if its there by its filthy aminey-but-worse rotting fish and acridity stench. A real sick-maker of a reek, even dilute in meths. Pure pyridine is...well there are few words virulent enough to describe how utterly foul that smell is. Satan himself must piss pyridine and shit the tellurium homolog of thioacetone=D (not that I've smelled or been anywhere near the latter, the fact that an experiment conducted by a research team in sealed systems with tiny amounts of thioacetone trimer and cracking it was enough to evacuate a city is more than enough to tell me I really don't want the stuff in my lab, less still the seleniuretted edition and the Te version? fucking christ no. I'd never be able to use the lab again, and for that matter probably would get lynched before I could try:p