• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Cold Turkey after 1+ year of bucking xanax

I just wanted to update that the 10 day regimen which had valium till 5 days with last dose being 2.5mg for 2 days (w/ 3 x 5mg SOS pills) ran out in 7 days. I stretched out the regimented dose for 2 extra days but at night always needed moar.

So I ended up at the Doctor's 3 days before I was supposed to but he had said to drop in anytime I needed to.
I have got over some hurdles, Work and Exercising is slowly ramping up. Like I mentioned, first day of poker was horrendously anxiety ridden. Also the Prozac - meh. Told the doc I don't need em.

Anyways, I do feel a slight urge to take xanax but no worrisome withdrawal except getting to sleep. Once I fall asleep, I have a nice 8hr rest. I told him First week of dosage was perfect but he actually switched the valium to Lorazepam. It is again low dose of 3mg a day split into 3 times. One low dose antipsychotic (he said don't read about it as it helps with other things as well - Ariprazole 2.5mg at night. I am supposed to taper the Lorazepam much slower though with valproic acid 500mg every night for seizures and a very small dose of Beta Blocker to lower the heart rate, but again, very low dose.

Hope this week goes well. Sorry for not starting a thread but last week was mildly hard.

wow hold up. I read the script wrong. I am on Lorazepam and Clonazepam. It just so happens Lorazepam is called Ativan here and Clonazepam is sold under brand name Lonazepam.

Breakdown is -
All the other stuff still there and in low doses but
Ativan is 0.5mg x morning 0.5mg x Afternoon 1mg x Night
Clonazepam is 0.5mg Morning.

Now I know what he meant by "with your type of patient (high dose, relatively low time of abuse say compared with people who on that stuff for 15 years) perhaps we went too low in the start" and thus probably removed Diazepam because of short acting Ativan and long acting Clonazepam combo.

He also remarked - We will do a more traditional taper without the Diazepam (which is the tweak in the taper) because of the time and thus adding Ativan but realizing I needed a bit more than he first thought.

Also, nice! Lorazepam has a very nice calming affect..way more than even the first time I felt with 20mg Val

Will keep updating this thread. Into Week 4-5th (we had Holidays so I am not sure).

I was basically not able to taper Lorazepam down from 1mg to 0.5mg per night. So after meeting with the same doctor it was concluded:
1. Ativan 1mg (Lorazepam) x Night x 5 Nights
2. Ativan 0.5mg x Night x 4 Nights
3. Valproic Acid (for seizure threshold) x 250mg x Night (halved from 500mg)
4. Aripiprazole 2.5mg x Night
5. Prozac 20mg x Morning
6. Do all exercises before Noon.

This is the observations Doctor had/ I gave him as impressions:
1. Lack of Energy/motivation in the morning
2. Still feel like treading on thin Ice even though when I engage in things, I end up pretty occupied by them, just can't start them.
3. Good Sleeps but they come on slow.
4. Exercising and most of my daily routine is back......Intensity is ramping but like I told him, don't feel that energized and want to procrastinate.

5. I can only describe this as a 'Soberjawfeels' like my jaw feels weird. It feels like it is not in it's natural position and I find it hard to speak a normal way. I had someone holding the camera at me during a conversation and after looking at it - I look normal but it's the sorta jaw tension that 1 beer would eliminate. I am not bothered by it but it does lapse me into that 'apprehensive, nervy, treading on thin ice' feeling.

So after all this, he included the Prozac for the kick in the morning. Kept Ativan at 1mg for 5 days because at this point it's a sweet spot and all the other stuff is pretty auxiliary. The antipsychotic is once a day very low dosage.

Feeling less and less daunted by tasks in general but kid you not.....even with full supervision of a doctor, Alprax goes hard! I cannot imagine how it would be for people who do not have the support of the family and a decently adept Doctor to help tailor that taper. I feel awfully sober and appetite as gone through the roof but I think next session Doc might be OK with me having a beer2-3 times a week. Just post work relaxation.

The lack of motivation might be related to the medication you are taking. I wouldn't get too hung up on this as the medication is helping you get to where you need to be, you might just have to deal with some side effects along the way but better than going psychotic or having a seizure. Also, it doesn't sound like the doctor intends for you to stay on the medication any longer than necessary, so that is a good thing as well. Not sure what would be causing the jaw thing.. I've dislocated my jaw from vomiting and dry heaving while going through benzo and opiate WD, but unless you are experiencing muscle spasms or retching it's probably unrelated.. I wouldn't get hung up on that.

I would suggest that you stay away from alcohol as both benzos and alcohol affect similar parts of the brain and you may be much more sensitive to the side effects. It also might make the WDs from the benzos worse. I doubt that with the medications you are one that the doctor would green light any alcohol consumption to be honest.

Stick to the regimen as closely as you can and stay in communication with your doctor, it sounds like you have found one who is attuned to your needs and will be able to react appropriately if any warning signs start to arise.

Oh, and the reason that alprazolam is not used in a benzo taper probably has to do with its short half life. It has a very fast onset but does not have a very long effect. A longer lasting benzo would be favorable in this case.

The lack of motivation might be related to the medication you are taking. I wouldn't get too hung up on this as the medication is helping you get to where you need to be, you might just have to deal with some side effects along the way but better than going psychotic or having a seizure. Also, it doesn't sound like the doctor intends for you to stay on the medication any longer than necessary, so that is a good thing as well. Not sure what would be causing the jaw thing.. I've dislocated my jaw from vomiting and dry heaving while going through benzo and opiate WD, but unless you are experiencing muscle spasms or retching it's probably unrelated.. I wouldn't get hung up on that.

I would suggest that you stay away from alcohol as both benzos and alcohol affect similar parts of the brain and you may be much more sensitive to the side effects. It also might make the WDs from the benzos worse. I doubt that with the medications you are one that the doctor would green light any alcohol consumption to be honest.

Stick to the regimen as closely as you can and stay in communication with your doctor, it sounds like you have found one who is attuned to your needs and will be able to react appropriately if any warning signs start to arise.

Oh, and the reason that alprazolam is not used in a benzo taper probably has to do with its short half life. It has a very fast onset but does not have a very long effect. A longer lasting benzo would be favorable in this case.

Thanks for all the help man! I am sorry I never made a thread in Sober Living but I can summarise the last month+ that it took for me to now be 8 or 9 days without any meds.

The prozac did not help much at all tbh and I started taking 100mg of Modafinil on my own without telling the doctor. This made sleeping harder without the benzos I had developed the high threshold for so I stopped and for that week I told the doctor that I had trouble sleeping - which I did post the 3 days of taking 100mg Modafinil in the morning.

He upped the Lorazepam and kept Seprodex. Got rid of everything else. By up I mean a higher frequency of dosing like 1-1-1-1.5 (1.5 being at night with Seprodex)

He told me it is totally fine to do exercise on this regimen of medication but do it earlier in the day. Slowly I started to gain confidence in social activities and gym. Everyweek though he switched the benzo to battle the symptoms because I would get stuck at the point in taper when I had to go from 1mg Lorazepam per day to 0.5mg. Same thing would happen with 10mg x once daily Valium to 0.5mg. All the while Seprodex (Valproic acid sp?) was also included. The taper ended with Clonazepam and 250mg Seprodex.

It took longer than a month and was very hard. I did have a bad alcohol hang over so I never drank again but was chain smoking, a spliff then 10-15 cigs a day.

I had to rid of the cigs for exercise and did it. I have never been a habitual smoker and used to only 'bum one off a friend' during nights out.

This is how the taper went macro week wise. Basically every 2-3 days he would stop some amount of dosing from as high as 1-1-1-1.5 to x-x-1-x-1.5 to x-x-x-1 to just 0.5 (this is where I struggled or 5mg with valium)...

Week 1 - Valium with Seprodex were the main meds

Week 2 - 2-3 days of Valium before Lorazepam and Clonazepam with Seprodex and an atypical anti-psychotic at low does of 2.5mg (Arpripazole sp?)

10 days later - Back to try to taper the same Lorazepam with no Clonazepam but Seprodex and anti-psychotic stayed, put me back off Prozac after a week ON, week OFF.

10 days later - Still trouble sleeping - back to Valium but slightly slower dosing.

4-5 days later - Visited him before schedule and he tapered for me only Clonazepam, anti-psychotic and Seprodex. Took 10ish days to finish Clonazepam and last Seprodex and anti-psychotic I took was more than a week ago.

Have a sliff and a cig. No drinking. Had one bad day where I felt nauseated, rest were only bad tasteless moodless days. I loved the last taper as it finished with 0.25mg Clonazepam every other day. When I was on 2mg a day, I felt groggy 2 days in a row which is what I felt from abusing clonazepam for the first time at high dose. It felt good that a low dose was giving me that side or you could say 'comedown'.

Man I will not touch stims or benzos again. Nearly lost my mind and Benzos are so fucking hard to kick. Everyone reacts differently, I had milder physical symptoms but bad mental symptoms of depression and apathy but no visions or anything.

Coming clean helped me and self medicating a taper also helped me. LOL that I ever thought I could go cold-turkey.

I am still not considering 100% off them. Only time will tell but in the meantime need to work on diet and exercise more, which I am finding hard to accomplish.

Wow, that's amazing progress! It's a hard time of year to work on diet with all the holiday eating gearing up but maybe if you concentrate on the exercise it will help motivate you to also address your diet more (that usually helps me).

Congratulations on everything you have accomplished. Benzos are a bitch. I have always thought they were a cruel drug--something that people get into to address their anxiety that end up making anxiety worse while on them and then unbearable while trying to get off them.

Yeah getting off benzos has always been a very up and down, back and forth type experience for me as well. They are the scariest drug to get off of IMO because going cold turkey could result in psychosis and/or seizure.

Keep focused on the long term goal and try to remind yourself that your are experiencing acute withdrawal symptoms and it will be followed by post acute withdrawal. Things will get better with effort, but it will take time. Focusing on what you can do to make today better than yesterday is helpful. Bad days don't mean failure, everyone has bad days. Just be sure to pick yourself up and try again tomorrow.

I had a lot of bad experiences from smoking weed while going through benzo WDs and would suggest staying away from it. It set off my anxiety and gave me mild hallucinations. The occasional spliff would probably be fine otherwise, but you might benefit from abstaining until you are a few months free from the benzos.

I'm at 6 months now and feeling pretty good. Exercise definitely helps with my mood and gives me energy, even if my diet is lacking or overindulgent. I am still noticing slow improvement in my mood and cognitive ability it seems, even though I've felt good for a while now. Hang in there.