• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery Here I go again...

Somni, let me know which meeting you go to and I will join you when I can. Also, the agnostic/atheist meeting is a cool bunch of people. They meet at First Alliance Church on Lake Underhill Rd. Fridays and Sundays at 7pm. Dinner after on Fridays.

Oy what a morning so far. I misplaced my insurance card so I'm going to have to go by the Blue Cross Blue Shield office and get a temp card and have it faxed to the psych hospital offering the IOP. And there are a ton of people waiting to be admitted - a lot of them are obviously transfers from emergency rooms. I'm going to be here a looooooong time. Contemplating taking off and coming back another day. Some of these people waiting to be admitted have been here since last night.

Last edited:
Was finally able to get in to see in the intake therapist around 12:30 and I start tomorrow. They asked me detailed questions about my psychological history for insurance purposes since it is a dual-diagnosis IOP and not just straight substance abuse. Maybe I will get finally get some resolution for my issues. I'm going to need it if I want to stay stopped for good. They were nice enough to bring me lunch, which was the pits (glad I'm not inpatient; think your worse high school cafeteria food memories) but it was a nice gesture. After I was done I had a late lunch with my sponsor at a Mexican joint. I would join him at a meeting tonight but there is some work I should have finished by yesterday and have neglected. Excited to be finally getting some help that hopefully is meaningful. Oh, and I found my insurance card in my car after I had already left lol. Oh well they said I can just bring it tomorrow.

I’m happy to hear that you are in a pretty good place right now and it’s good that you are finally able to start your therapy. I’m in a different to part to the world to you and, although I am extremely grateful to have access to free healthcare, the mental health sector is really suffering at the moment in terms of resources. I am also waiting for a dual diagnosis assessment for therapy and I told that the waiting list is 6 months at the moment just for the assessment. I am still very much engaged still with addiction services as I am still on MMT but they seem to also have fewer peer support meetings or courses each week and I feel that I am lacking support for both my addiction and mental health. I’m considering reattending some NA meetings as other support is thin on the ground right but I have had some negative feedback for being on methadone in the past which has discouraged me somewhat although I also found the peer support there really helpful too. Did you experience similar when you were on bupe? I wish you well for tomorrow.

Last edited:
Hi Elvis, nice to hear from you. I am a native Tennessean so I appreciate the name you go by on here. I have never been on maintenance. I checked into a detox in May 2014 to come off prescription opiates, alcohol and benzodiazepines. I have never gone back to opiates, but I have an ongoing love/hate relationship with alcohol and benzos. I have found some people in NA critical of the fact that I still take benzos (I don't tend to abuse them unless I've been drinking), but I don't let it stop me from getting the support I need. Honestly it's no one's business other than you and your physician's so I wouldn't even tell anyone else; maybe a sponsor if you find a good one. Having a sponsor that I at least talk to on a daily basis also helps me immensely and keeps me accountable to someone. Our healthcare system in the USA is pretty fucked up but I am grateful that it is easy to find timely help. The reason I went the IOP route is a lot of private therapists do not want to accept my insurance because the compensation rates are so low and I don't want to pussyfoot around looking for someone and risk setting myself back. I need help now.

My sponsor lives in downtown Orlando and takes daily walks around the lake in the middle of downtown to feed the swans. If it stops raining I am planning to meet him while he makes his rounds before heading off to IOP. Will post what that experience is like when I get home tonight.

I’m happy to hear that you are in a pretty good place right now and it’s good that you are finally able to start your therapy. I’m in a different to part to the world to you and, although I am extremely grateful to have access to free healthcare, the mental health sector is really suffering at the moment in terms of resources. I am also waiting for a dual diagnosis assessment for therapy and I told that the waiting list is 6 months at the moment just for the assessment. I am still very much engaged still with addiction services as I am still on MMT but they seem to also have fewer peer support meetings or courses each week and I feel that I am lacking support for both my addiction and mental health. I’m considering reattending some NA meetings as other support is thin on the ground right but I have had some negative feedback for being on methadone in the past which has discouraged me somewhat although I also found the peer support there really helpful too. Did you experience similar when you were on bupe? I wish you well for tomorrow.

That is a fairly standard experience of NA for people on ORT. It was enough for me to basically decide it wasn't for me, or at least not the meetings or their program as presented by most, but I've known many people on ORT who were able to basically just avoid mentioning their use of buprenorphine or methadone and set that aside and benefit from the peer support itself. I couldn't do that, as it felt incredibly dishonest for me to feel like I had to hide something from those I was working with on recovery (particularly as shame/hiding stuff was central to my issues with addiction), but if you can manage go for it.

There should be some methadone-friendly NA/_A meetings out there though. There aren't many of them, but maybe your chemist/clinic/case worker can give you some advice on them? Or perhaps you can find them online. There are a LOT of people who go to NA and similar meetings who use ORT and just don't disclose it because of the stigma, so if you do you won't be alone. They can be hard to find, particularly because they're so un-vocal about it (for good reason) in meetings, but maybe you can find someone like that, someone more large minded who understands, perhaps to be a sponsor or something. They're out there, just takes finding them.

Glad to hear you're still fighting the good fight Elvis. No matter what anyone tells you, the recovery you gain through methadone is absolutely no less quality than however anyone else does it. Its exactly what you make of it, and it sounds like you're taking good care of yourself despite the challenges with getting quality mental health care you're facing.

Oh I see, I apologise for the mistake. I have been on methadone for three years but I have not abused any illicit opiates for two. I also have an ongoing love/hate relationship with benzos and I have been used them to self-medicate my mental health particularly for PTSD and depression as I have previously posted. You’re right, the fact that I am on methadone does not mean I cannot gain insight and strength from the peer support of others - I am no different as I am still battling addiction just like everyone else!

Thank you toothpastedog for supportive words, I did notice that some meetings were more inclusive than others but the general ethos of the fellowship does point to abstinence as a final (and sometimes only) solution. I failed miserably attempting to quit heroin through many repeated detoxes and abstinence-based rehabs but it was not until I was on methadone that I finally stopped using heroin and managed to stay stopped. Methadone also gave me stability from a life of desperation and chaos therefore has been integral to my recovery. I do want to eventually be free of ORT but that is my long-term plan. There is definitely a difference between dependency and addiction - I will let that guide me to find my own journey to recovery be that NA, SMART or any other peer support networks out there. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Ok guys I have to tell you I am stoked about this IOP. First off, an hour of individual therapy weekly is included in the cost, and while we are only required to see their psychiatrist once a month, we can see the psychiatrist weekly if we want. It is small. There were only 5 of us there tonight, but I think one person was missing. The first hour was the usual check in; how are we feeling, did we meet our goals for the day etc. etc. Second hour discussion was on types of boundaries and what defines healthy boundaries, and the third hour was on cognitive behavioral therapy, a term I've heard many times in my years around treatment centers but never really knew what it meant. The third hour was spent on a worksheet detailing negative things we tell ourselves and positive affirmations we can replace them with. I finally feel like being in a program where the psychological drivers of addiction are addressed more than the issue of addiction itself gives me hope that maybe, just maybe this will give me the tools to stay stopped. The therapist is a real mensch, going as far as giving me his cellphone number.

That sounds like a pretty darn quality program dude. Reminds me of the first positive experience I had in drug treatment at a similarly structured IOP at a hospital in San Diego.

Is it s co-occurring disorder (otherwise know as dual diagnosis) program?

Any chance you guys will get any DBT? That modality is hard to find professionals trained in, but it’s much more effective than CBT when taught appropriately IMO (don’t get me wrong, good CBT can be very helpful too). Just hard to find that quality of treatment provider with it. Same can be said if mindfulness stuff generally, which DBT sort of integrates with CBT. Perhaps you can find out if they do motivational interviewing as a therapeutic technique, also very helpful and a bit more available than something like DBT.

Glad you had a positive experience with your IOP! Was this you first session? Sometimes other patients can drag groups down, but as long as you have good professionals facilitating and running things challenging sessions can be very useful.

Basically I’m just happy to hear you had a positive first impression(s). That is a relatively good indicator to how it’s gonna go down the road. Just keep you head about you, think for yourself and keep up the hard work, and you’ll be just fine. Groupthink can be really powerful in treatment, for better and for worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it was my first session. I'm thinking we will get around to DBT at some point as it is described on their website as one of the treatment modalities. Yes, it is a dual diagnosis, not just straight substance abuse IOP. The therapist is effective and keeps us from disappearing down irrelevant rabbit holes. I hate saying something that sounds so contrived but I haven't felt this hopeful about the future for a long time, even when I've been sober for an extended amount of time.

Hey if it’s what you’re feeling go with that. Confidence in ones treatment is really useful to help maintain more consistent effort and motivation. This is one of the reasons I’m such a fan of quality IOP programs, as you can take what you learn and the work you’ve done to cultivate useful skills out into the real world tha same day you are exposed to them.

Sounds like this may be the makings of a great opportunity for you. I wish you luck, health and lots of learning in the process! I have experience a number of different IOP programs, some horrible and others fairly good. It definitely sounds like you’ve found one of the better ones out there. Let us know how it progresses. We are rooting for you!

That’s great news to hear that first your session of therapy went so well aihfl - that’s a good sign for sure and I hope you find the sessions really helpful and useful. I’ve not heard much about Dialectable Behaviour Therapy so I had to do a quick google to find out a bit more. It has been described as: “helping people increase their emotional and cognitive regulation by learning about the triggers that lead to reactive states and helping to assess which coping skills to apply in the sequence of events, thoughts, feelings, and behaviour to help avoid undesired reactions.” Apparently this is also available in the UK and I think I will enquire about it on my dual-diagnosis (complex care team) assessment. I think it will help to address my current problematic pattern of drug use which is related to my mental health and my response to PTSD and recollection of past traumatic events - I am undisputedly self-medicating. Recovery is definitely a journey that involves a lot of contructive introspection and self-development which highlights the importance of the development of strong and supportive networks. Thanks guys- I wish you both well.

Aih- that is great news! Being hopeful feels wonderful. ❤

TPD planted the IOP seeds in my mind. Hearing of your experience has me asking myself "why not look into this when you get home?"

It sounds really great. So happy for this positive step on your journey aih.

Aihfl, I'm so glad to hear you had a positive first impression of your IOP. If they're done properly, I think IOPs can be incredibly helpful. Like TPD, I'll also be curious to hear what you think about CBT. I had heard about it for years but never really encountered it until I was in the psych hospital last year, and there almost all of our group therapy was CBT-based. I still practice some of the skills I learned there.

Well guys I have been drinking the past two days. Both days I managed to exercise enough self-control that I didn't get wasted but was using it as a way to manage anxiety. Still not good I know. I went to a symphony concert out on the coast last night. My ex wife got me tickets since she was the soloist. It was a pretty light program, but I took my sponsor with me as a thank you for letting me stay with him and he enjoyed it because he likes Ravel's Bolero, a piece I loathe. It's an exercise in tedium as far as I'm concerned. Today I'm hoping I won't have to resort to drinking. I'm meeting a friend from AA here in about an hour, then I'm going with my sponsor to make the rounds around the lake downtown as he feeds the birds before going to our regular 7pm meeting. Hope you all have a good day.

have you had a good experience with your sponsor? I was never able to find a good sponsor relationship. But it sounds like you get on pretty well with yours.

It sounds like you're handling these intense periods of anxiety very well...yes there's the drinking. But you're hanging with your sponsor, going out...all good things. Maybe when you get back to IOP youll get some traction on how you could handle things without a drink next time.

Sim, this is the best sponsor experience I've had so far. He is intelligent, educated and has had a high-flying career in business thinktanks. Not to sound like a snob, but I consider him an intellectual equal. He's not the type to tell me to blindly ask God to take away my problems and when we talk he is the first sponsor I've had where real communication takes place. He doesn't just talk at me. The only thing that sucks is he lost his job so it's only a matter of time before he leaves, but I'm pretty sure who I'll ask afterwards. I know that typically a sponsor/sponsee should be the same gender, but the meeting I go has quite a few gay/lesbian members so the lines are a little more blurred there than at your typical meeting (the person I would ask is a lesbian).

That's great, aihfl. It's so hard to find a good match, sponsor-wise. I'm glad you got lucky.

FWIW, in my experience, a gay sponsor of a different gender is completely legit.

FWIW, in my experience, a gay sponsor of a different gender is completely legit.

Agreed! I think I’ve had generally more favorable experiences with the queer recovery community than more traditional communities. Not always of course, but in my experience they’re often more understanding and less judgemental as individuals.