• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Uk Liberty Cap / magic mushroom season 2017

Cheers limpet. That maximum 5g starting dose you mention, is that fresh or dry weight? Also, would you recommend harvesting before the veil splits, or wait until they open fully?

Dry. You get this through your head and get it through NOW, before even thinking about taking A.muscaria.

You CAN'T just pick these and eat them fresh. You MUST cure them. The body can metabolize ibotenic acid to muscimol, but it is an excitotoxic neurotoxin, ibotenic acid, not healthy stuff, really its bad news. But thermally unstable, and decarboxylates (eliminates CO2) to form the GABAa orthosteric agonist muscimol easily. People who eat fresh fly agaric, regret it. Look at the reports on erowid and contrast those who had a good vs a shitty experience and their methods of preparation. Those who eat raw mushroom, aren't happy about it.

Also, there are a couple other isoxazole producing mushrooms within the Amanita genus, these ought to be avoided. Amanita pantherina is well known for being similar in chemistry overall, however it is a dangerous mushroom, and contains a LOT more of these isoxazoles. Also however it contains two excitatory aminoacid neurotoxins in trace quantities, stizolobic and stizolobinic acid. IIRC either AMPA or KAr agonists, which are of EXTREME potency looking at their Ki values. Only present in small quantities, but at least one of the two is active in the femtomolar range. That is absolutely astonishing, and might well make for the most potent such receptor ligands known for AMPA and/or kainate receptors. These could well be one or both of two things-if they are the orthosteric (glutamate binding site) agonists I think they are then excitotoxins, with convulsant effects and potentially permanently damaging effects by frying the hippocampus amongst other areas of the brain which in the case of the hippocampus is critical for learning and memory. Not so familiar with kainate receptors, they aren't as well known generally compared to AMPA and NMDA type ionotropic glutamate receptors. Also, it isn't impossible they may also thermally decarboxylate to give a GABAa agonist at the GABA binding site, like muscimol is. This is not an unknown relationship-that of an excitatory aminoacid excitotoxic neurotoxin which has a corresponding decarboxylated amine derivative that is an orthosteric (I.e binding the same site GABA does) GABAa agonist. Ibotenic acid is the best known such pair, with muscimol forming via thermolytic degradation of ibotenic acid on decarboxylation. Quisqualic acid is another, its an AMPA receptor agonist neurotoxin, that would cause permanent damage in an intact animal or person, or brain tissue cultures etc.. If decarboxylated, quisqualic acid forms quisqualamine, a GABAa agonist.
So, it seems like others might do the same thing, given that there is a fairly limited pharmacophore set of orthosteric GABAa agonists, although that for excitatory NMDAr/AMPAr/KAr agonist neurotoxins is wider. But it could be more common.

Still, I'd definitely avoid the panther cap at all costs. Amanita pantherina is the name, its dark brown in the color of the surface of the cap, and covered in fine white warts, contains a LOT more of the neurotoxic ibotenic acid and also muscimol the psychoactive degradation product that stems from it. IMO it is too dangerous to fuck with it.

Also, it would be wise to limit consumption of fly agaric on a frequency basis. The mushroom is a hyperaccumulator of the element vanadium, forming a complex called amavadine, that forms a deep, vivid blue cationic derivative. Not sure to the extent of which it accumulates vanadium, but some other hyperaccumulator fungi of other elements, such as Sarcosphaera, which hyperaccumulates arsenic to, in uncontaminated soil perhaps a thousand percent over other mushrooms (common would be, for arsenic, perhaps 1mg/kg dry weight of arsenic, whilst Sarcosphaera (a monotypic genus with only S.coronaria. This typically reaches 1g arsenic per kg of dry weight, and has been known to contain up to 7090mg/kg arsenic dry weight from a sample of this purple-centered cup fungus, as the toxic methylarsonic acid organoarsenic derivative. That was from a sample found in the Czech republic, and actually, holds the world record apparently for bioaccumulation of arsenic, possibly of any element in a fungus.)

So, given the potential, and status as a known hyperaccumulator of vanadium, although MUCH less toxic than arsenic, it can occur as up to 500mg/kg dry weight in A.muscaria. So, it wouldn't do, since vanadium, whilst it may well be essential in small amounts, can be toxic in larger quantities. Although it is poorly absorbed through the GI tract. Not sure how well amavadine itself is absorbed orally.

Personally I like to harvest them once the gills have freed to give them a chance to reproduce, and not take the very youngest specimens, unless its just a few now and then, if I am short, or have none, and need some to cook a meal, in which case, I'll take enough young'uns just to do a steak or two, or a spoonful of chili spice mixture (I love to use fly agaric in my kitchen, for doing beef dishes especially, especially with a parasite fungus that attacks the mycelium of A.muscaria, of the boletoid type, pored mushroom genus Chalciporus, C.piperatus, the peppery bolete, which when A.muscaria grows under silver birch (it grows also under pines at times although less often, but C.piperatus only seems to grow on the silver birch-associated mycelium), giving it a lovely way of bringing out the meaty, savoury flavours in meats, like lamb or beef, beef especially. And the peppery bolete giving it a kick. A nice little twofer really, since they come as a package deal when mushroom hunting often enough.)

But otherwise, I let them open, taking one or two for a plate of steaks is alright in my book given that they are such a common species, and if it is restricted, in the taking of immature specimens to just when one needs it for a meal to be cooked and you don't want to be watching and waiting days and hoping neither animals eat it, humans damage it, the environment does or some other bugger takes the mushrooms you were counting on for your dinner. Nothing worse than rival mushroom hunters at times lol, although at least it isn't a popular species given its listing as poisonous in all the textbooks.

It isn't nearly as bad as its made out to be in that respect. The textbooks, they are erring on the side of caution, so people don't eat a plateful, eat them raw etc. and they really don't know what they are doing in giving proper instructions as to how to use them properly. They aren't loaded with deadly poison like say, deathcaps, destroying angels and other nasty amatoxic species in the subgroup Phalloidinae within Amanita. Or the few that contain allenic norleuceine, chlorocrotylglycine etc. and other kidney damaging poisons. I simply mention the vanadium as a precaution so overindulgence is avoided. Thats quite a lot of vanadium even if its poorly absorbed orally, just present in the dried mushrooms.

Best not taken TOO old either. They can get old and soggy, and if they develop any nasty smell then that means leave it. They can do, getting a manky, soggy, wet texture and quite putrid sort of stink when way over the hill so to speak. Quite revolting in fact, makes me gorge rise, intent on rebellion against the established order, I.e of my insides remaining on the inside of me, rather than making a break for the outside. I prefer my internal organs to stay that way=D

Mid age is probably about right. You want them firm, of mild smell when freshly picked, fungusy is fine, thats to be expected, but no putrescence in the odor. When dried, and especially when simmering for tea, they take on a strongly savoury, yet very, very sweet, honeyed kind of odor that will, with a few caps in a pan of water simmering for tea, IMO best way to take them, they can get quite big though and still stay fresh. Depends on the individual specimen, but I've found ones the size of a small dinnerplate in diameter to be still good for harvest, when I'm out on one of my several yearly hikes to pick fly agaric to ensure I have a supply for the kitchen for the coming year until I can harvest more.

Just so long as they are good and firm. I believe its the right thing to do to let them have their chance to drop some spores, and ensure that this valuable commodity isn't ever put in danger of being lost to future generations by overzealous picking. Although I see it unlikely, it wouldn't be the first time humanity has murdered entire species of life, but they are pretty common. I want them to stay that way. And I'd be horrified to lose them altogether, since they are one of my favourite and most frequent reasons for a trip to the spice rack, and I do use a fair lot of the stuff over a year, picking a few kilograms at least if I can, wet weight, certainly enough to require being hauled back in a backpack stuffed with a bin liner bag, and/or take several trips to the woods, not that I need much convincing as to any excuse to fuck off out into the forests and start poking around in the trees and leaf litter. And especially not in one particular rather special pine forest, where I often find the pinewoods variety of A.muscaria, along with a rich, rich feast in Slippery Jack boletes, and larch boletes, both Suillus species, along with bay bolete (Xerocomus badius/syn Boletus badius) which are very tasty fried up, and given a bit of garlic butter and a squirt of lemon or lime juice, served russian style. Quite scrumptious. And best of all, lots (shopping bags full) of HUGE Lactarius deliciosus, the very, very sought after saffron milk-cap, which has been considered a delightful treat since the days of the ancient romans, who even depicted it on some of the first mosaics of mushrooms ever, and evidently, appreciated them as much as I do. (they are really tasty when roasted or grilled, such as with some mozzarella cheese over the gills as a topping, with a little salt and pepper, after a first shallow frying and then setting them to roast over a grill or hot wood coals.)

So, yeah, I'd be fucking pissed at the mycophage that extirpated Amanita muscaria as a species, not that I think it likely, I'd still be royally fucking fuming fucked off if anybody did. It is, after all, my dinner down there, that I've got to go and hike to find and pick and cure for the year to come and the next until the next growth season comes round. I think I'd probably thump the cunt to wipe out fly agarics, if I actually found out someone had and knew who was guilty of it. I'd make an intercontinental trip to do it as well, and turn up on someone's doorstep with claw-hammer in hand and an attitude adjustment to hand out ;P

As for the textbooks, generally they do say its poisonous. Mildly. And if over or misused. They just don't know what they are doing with them, if you ask me. Although severely toxic to dogs AFAIK.

And the 5g would be starting maximum, to test a batch, and dry weight, cured, since, as mentioned, it has to be.

Thanks again Limpet. Rest assured I wouldn't dream of eating them raw - in fact I'll probably never get round to trying them at all, I just like to know these things just in case.

IMO they can be worth a shot. Hell, I wouldn't go out every year for the past 20 years at least to hunt for the things if they had no worth at all now would I? sure they need to be prepared, but other, psilocybin mushrooms need a proper careful ID in many cases, such as to eliminate Galerina or Conocybe poison-factories from one's basket of titillating taxa.

Now if only the saffron milkies were fruiting now, and some slippery jack boletes. I could use some roasted cheese-topped Lactarius deliciosus, amid a plate of fried parasol (Macrolepiota procera) and some russian-style slippery jack (lemon, garlic butter and a wedge of lime to squeeze over them, perhaps a pinch of lime zest.)

Very good eating indeed. And I sometimes even use mushrooms to make other mushrooms taste even better too :D

I have been struggling to find liberty caps around the Swansea area, had a good spot last year but the land use has changed from a sheep field to crop.
anyone from Swansea / s wales willing to help a guy out?

appreciated

s

I have been struggling to find liberty caps around the Swansea area, had a good spot last year but the land use has changed from a sheep field to crop.
anyone from Swansea / s wales willing to help a guy out?

appreciated

s

We can't help you source mushrooms, that's hugely against the sites rules.

Go to www.shroomery.org and learn to ID liberty caps. If you already know, you're suffering the way the rest of us are. Something has changed, and the libs aren't sprouting. You could try for psilocybe cyanaescens, but we can't help you ID or source mushrooms. So go to shroomery, learn, find a patch, and double check.

Magic ;) this thread popped up, as I've literally walked through the door after picking up around a kilo and half in about half an hour. And it’s literally on my doorstep. I’ll post some pictures shortly.

Haven't managed to find any liberty caps. But a boat load of fly agaric. I’ll be drying them out shortly.

edit:

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

Last edited:
Yeh, what's up with Liberty caps these days? They're nowhere near as ubiquitous as they were when I werra lad.

Not the only one to notice that.

Going to have to go out soon though, get a few fly agaric harvests in this year. I use them a lot for making spice blends and condiments for serving meat dishes.

Maaaaaaan, I forgot just how much these mushrooms stank when you’re drying them out. My whole house smells like a vegans fart.

Fly agaric? I wouldn't call it a stink. Quite pleasant, especially when making the caps into tea, smells like honeyed meat. Sweet and savory at the same time.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

Took far longer than usual to dry out. Roughly 10 hours at 50c. Ended up with roughly 80g of dried product.

Rather than using that meshwork to dry them on, IMO kitchen foil is the best, to line baking trays, so as to help prevent departure of juices being sweated out, turning them over every once in a while to help this dry back onto the mushrooms.

And grinding with a mortar and pestle is a royal buggermuffin of a cuntocks, use an electric spice grinder, you'll thank me once you switch to a spice grinder. The chitinous texture of fungi lends towards being often hard to grind, especially to fine powder, but with the sharp blades of an electric spice grinder, one can store the caps as whole as they are when they are cured for better shelf life, better preservation of flavour and scent, for those who also use them in recipes for condiments and spice mixtures, seasonings etc. for use in the kitchen, and for a medicinal tea with many uses, and then just weigh out and grind to fine dust within seconds, the requisite amount.

His electric spice grinder serves him really well for this, particularly when seeking to obtain a really fluffy, fine powder which can be mixed with other spices and herbs, other fungi, such as the wonderful culinary brotherhood of fly agaric and it's parasite, Chalciporus piperatus, the peppery boletus, it'll do them finer by far than any amount of grinding in a mortar can hope to, especially with other woody or elastic, springy, resillient spices, to something as fine as the likes of the zinc, copper, nickel, aluminium, magnesium or iron dusts he has around on the lab shelves, which is the kind of fine division one wants, when freshly grinding a portion to be used either in kitchen or as a psychoactive, especially for things like sprinkling over steaks, whilst one has a brace of thick-cut fillet steaks of prime beef sizzling in the pan, or for sprinkling over mozzarella cheese, atop freshly picked Lactarius deliciosus (saffron milk-cap, a culinary wild mushroom highly prized since roman antiquity for it's wonderful flavour and nice, firm texture), as they roast over the gas stove, the fly agaric dust seeping into the mozzarella to draw flavour into the chewy topping which so nicely partners the texture of saffron milkies)

Bugger...he could really feast himself right now on those, just thinking about them is making his gastric juices twitch and moan at him for not having any to cook and serve, or they'd have been roasted, some mozzarella bought, and fly agaric/peppery boletus ground to dust and used as a simple binary mixed seasoning, dusted over the mozzarella as it bubbles and melts over the roasted Lactarius, given a nice browning with the judicious use of a welding torch or blowtorch and then given a bit more fly agaric/Chalciporus piperatus blend to ensure nothing is lost to the heat of the torch, as brief as it's application needs be.

THe only thing I've found are liberty lookalikes which after a spore test turned out to be fake one's eff knows what exact species but 100% looklike :(

Someone ruined the fly agaric spot.

I got a few fly agaric. Full of maggots tho.

I always imagine these to be mini sandworms like the creatures in DUNE. The "little makers" of the Fremen or Geonemotodium Arraknis (also Shaihuludata Gigantica).

If they have maggots, toss 'em.

If there are just maggots in the stem, that's of lesser importance, as long as it is just a few, and the things aren't infested, meaning they are old and shabby. In the case of just a few in the stem, or stem base (not uncommon) then just slice the caps off. The caps are the only part worth having anyway.

Far out, man! Late frost 'caused by climate change' means magic mushrooms will bloom in the UK on New Year's Day
Professor Lynne Boddy a fungal ecologist at Cardiff University made the claims
The first frost arrives up to two weeks later compared to 50 years ago she says
Mushroom foragers in Dartmoor, across the Brecon Beacons and into Yorkshire are still on the hunt for the UK's native psychedelic species
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...s-magic-mushrooms-bloom-UK-New-Years-Day.html
Who's going out to see if it's true?

Yeh, I saw a similar report in The Guardian: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....gives-uk-magic-mushroom-hunters-an-extra-high

It would be good news if they weren't as fuckin rare as hen's teeth these days.

I remember being able to go out picking, as opposed to hunting. They were everywhere - parks, playing fields, golf courses, gardens, grass verges and virtually every pasture land or hillside you bothered to look in. Nowadays, it's a fuckin chore just finding enough maggot ridden sorry looking specimens for one trip, never mind to last you all year. IME, they are virtually non existent in towns anymore...