Votes: 1 100.0%
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ⭐️⭐️

• ⭐️

• Total voters
The sets are repetitive in TOS, I guess I just love how darn colorful and 60s-esque the show was. I also enjoyed it as a look into 60s era world-views and how sci-fi proposed to deal with the then current issues. I think there was an episode that essentially equated to a justification for the Vietnam War lol.

Yeah, I guess I kinda dig the psychedelia hippie thing too, and some plots that really pushed the social boundaries of the time. I'm probably being too harsh ;)

I'm a DS9 guy. So discovery is totally in my wheelhouse

The first few episodes seemed ok,, not amazing but ok... I was really hoping they would do a show after the Dominion war,to show us the aftermath... I don't know why they keep going back in time....

I was really hoping they would do a show after the Dominion war,to show us the aftermath... I don't know why they keep going back in time....

I'm with you there, it would be nice. It's getting on for 20 years now though, and they have this habit of wrecking canon of late, so I don't hold out much hope :(

I'm with you there, it would be nice. It's getting on for 20 years now though, and they have this habit of wrecking canon of late, so I don't hold out much hope :(

Yeah I want a post ds9 show too. I think most of the fanbase does but I'm not sure if the writers are up too it. It seems like there aren't many truely original ideas left for some reason

they just seem to be playing it safe, but that obviously isn't working... the Gemma quadrant had some interesting species like the Founders .The Founders were kicks ass, especially the female Founder! Whoever played the female leader of the Founder was truly a gifted actres, same goes with the Wayoun character.

Weyoun Dukat and Damar was the best bad guy story arc in sci find history

Weyoun Dukat and Damar was the best bad guy story arc in sci find history

Duuuuude, yes! I love the guy who played Weyoun specifically. That guy has been in almost every Star Trek series, I know he's Shran in Enterprise at least.

Speaking of 'no originality' left, the irony of us all loving DS9 is that it was a complete rip off of the Babylon 5 script (highly recommended btw, excellent sci-fi series); when the writer of Babylon 5 presented his script to Paramount, they rejected it. Right as another producer was prepping to release B5, along comes DS9... makes you wonder :sus:

I'm not the biggest Star Trek fan (seen some TOS, some of TNG, some of the movies) but have been enjoying this series so far. I agree that the Klingon costumes seem to be a bit too bulky for them to show that they are supposed to be these brutal yet agile warriors. But I enjoy the varied aesthetics of the Klingons we've seen and the fact that they drew Star Fleet into a war to justify what is essential a jihad was interesting.

I kinda forgot about this series. I dunno, it just didn't grab me despite being cool at first. I might just wait for the whole series, most shows are better when binged!:)

I've definitely lost interest in it a bit. The first two episodes I really enjoyed, but it's lacking the appeal of past series like VOY and TNG for me so far.

Well you are both wrong and should feel bad. ;)

I say give it another chance but I agree with swilow that most shows are better binged nowadays.

Has anyone picked this back up? It's become a lot more interesting since the return from break (imo).

the orville has the spirit of star trek down pat, certainly a worthy successor of Trek:TNG, even if it is a half-parody.

discovery is more in line with the abrams trek reboot series than traditional trek, its too much battle and intrigue and such, and there's basically not even a real bone thrown, just a throwaway token line here and there, to exploration and philosophical and ethical quandries exploring the unknown can force us to confront. that said, i'm still watching it, but its not really star trek, its a different kind of scifi show that merely shares trek's same.

Last edited:
the orville has the spirit of star trek down pat, certainly a worthy successor of Trek:TNG, even if it is a half-parody.

discovery is more in line with the abrams trek reboot series than traditional trek, its too much battle and intrigue and such, and there's basically not even a real bone thrown, just a throwaway token line here and there, to exploration and philosophical and ethical quandries exploring the unknown can force us to confront. that said, i'm still watching it, but its not really star trek, its a different kind of scifi show that merely shares trek's same.

Discovery is more like season 5-7 of deep space nine which I really like.

I can't speak to it being like Deep Space 9 as I have only seen a couple episodes (I know, I know...) but I don't think the quicker pace is a negative. They still get into ethics, morality, etc. and I think they'll slow things down a bit after this arc is complete. I have yet to check out Orville (I usually have a visceral reaction to MacFarlane) but keep hearing good things.

These latest episodes have improved for sure. I still think the fungus hyperdrive is totally ridiculous, but I'm trying not to let that cloud the rest.

Btw Ebow - where are your cool faces???

to be fair, faster than light travel is pretty ridiculous itself, but the concept in one form or other is critical to almost all space scifi stories, so its easy to suspend disbelief for. some technobabble is easier to accept than others tho.

to be fair, faster than light travel is pretty ridiculous itself, but the concept in one form or other is critical to almost all space scifi stories, so its easy to suspend disbelief for. some technobabble is easier to accept than others tho.

Yeah, instantaneous funghi space travel is pushing it more than usual imo ;)