Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

(Diphenhydramine - 1600mg) - Experienced - Short and Long Term Use Report

illyaandor

Greenlighter
Hello everyone! I've been going to this forum for years for advice but I finally made an account today. A big reason I'm making this is because there isn't a lot of information about DPH out there and I'm making this as a type of guide as to what to expect. I didn't have a guide like this myself, and I feel that it brought on a lot of unnecessary anxiety and fear.

Anyway; DPH. Diphenhydramine. Benadryl. Cheap, legal, and easy to find.

I don't remember when I first heard about being able to get high on DPH, but a few months ago I decided to give it a try.

~300mg is recommended for the first dose, to see if it's something you can handle at all. I'm, uh, on the larger side, so I adjusted the dosage accordingly. I took 400mg. About a half hour in, I begin to feel its effects. As a scientifically minded person, I take notes:

9:00pm - Ingest 400mg
9:34pm - Mild body high, slightly disorienting
9:42pm - Mild headache
9:57pm - Hand tremors, no other major effects. Drank a glass of water. Going to bed.
11:00pm - Motor skills greatly impaired. Possible auditory hallucinations
11:38pm - [Illegible]
9:05am - Woke up fine. No hangover feeling. Slight cough. Feel slightly out-of-it, but not distractingly so.

(DISCLAIMER: I take 225mg (prescription) Effexor XR every day, so reactions may vary)

Had I not known that DPH was a plateau-ing drug, that would have been the end of it. But alas, I carried on.

About 3 days later I take a proper dosage, 800mg (I feel I should also state that I'm taking them in the 50mg form, would not recommend high dosing with 25s because that's just so many damn pills to ingest.)

And just for comparison: A light dose for a regular person is around 200-400mg, a medium dose is around 400-700mg, and a heavy dose is 700+. Anything higher than ~1700mg is getting dangerously close to cardiac arrest.

12:38am - Ingest 800mg DPH
1:15am - Beginning to feel effects. Loss of balance and motor control. Hands have tremors.
1:43am - Mild nausea. The walls are beginning to 'drift' and 'breathe'. I have absolutely no depth perception.
2:12am - Feels like gravity has been increased x10. Had to pull myself out of my desk chair.
2:33am - Went through my 3L jug of water. Still thirsty. Pupils extremely dilated, almost no visible iris.
10:05am - Some bizarre dreams. No hangover. Eyes no longer dilated.

My overall feeling after trip 2 was "meh". It was neither good nor bad. It was interesting. Slight drifting seemed to carry on into the next day, however. All of the trips after that have similar timelines. I never see insects, I never see shadow people or really any sort of uncomfortable hallucination. My auditory hallucinations are little sound bytes of people talking, and it seemed far away, like I could hear someone talking down the hallway. My dosages increased to 800mg, then 1000mg, and occasionally the maximum dosage of 1600mg. (Yes, I know, that is a very large amount, but this level was after climbing up too it, and being heavyset in the first place requires me to take more than the average person.)

Over the course of 3 months, I would dose 3-4 times a week, usually between 800-1300mg each time. As this went on, I began documenting immediate effects that would occur within 6 hours of dosing, latent effects that would occur within 24 hours of the dosing, and then long term effects that manifested after a week of dosing.

Immediate Effects (6 hours)

• Drifting
  • Loss of motor skills
  • Confusion
  • Short term memory loss
  • Bitter taste in mouth
  • Dry mouth
  • Pupil dilation
  • Feeling of increased gravity
  • Loss of balance
  • Closed eye and open eye hallucinations
  • Auditory hallucinations
  • Fast heart rate
  • Tactile enhancement
  • Relaxed mood

Latent Effects (24 hours)

• Slightly groggy
  • Phlegm-y cough
  • Loss of balance
  • Difficulties focusing
  • Occasional slight drifting
  • Shaky hands
  • Loss of appetite
  • Blurry vision
  • Eyes will remain dilated for 2-3 days if one were to go cold turkey at this point

Long Term (1 week)

• Weight loss (I lost 10 pounds in a week because of my lack of appetite)
  • Dependence on DPH / Addictive behavior to DPH
  • Shaky hands
  • Hands / feet flushing pink or pink with splotchy white
  • No appetite
  • Much higher tolerance
  • Dehydration
  • Improved focus (do to acclimation of DPH in your system)
  • Blurry vision
  • Eyes will remain dilated for 3-4 days if one were to go cold turkey at this point

As of right now, I have been clean for 2 days. There has been no withdraw. I get the best sleep of my life now. I've lost weight. However, my vision is quite blurry. I have always been nearsighted and have needed glasses, but now I find myself needing reading glasses as well. This may or may not be permanent. My mental capabilities are at about 90%, but has been improving. My balance is still slightly off. However, the thing that bothers me the most is pupil dilation. My eyes are still dilated, and while that is expected with this type of drug, I worry that permanent damage may come from them being dilated for so long.

In Conclusion: This is a very strong high for something that's in just about everyone's home. I had no overly negative trips, I didn't experience any hangovers. My hands are still shaky, and my eyes dilated and blurry. My appetite is beginning to return. In all, its not a bad high. I wouldn't recommend this to someone without experience with other hallucinogens. DPH is also quite addictive at these levels as well. And while the trip isn't exactly "fun", it is extremely fascinating.

And another disclaimer for the road: Everyone is different. While 1000mg is a Friday night to me, it can be very dangerous to someone smaller or who has no tolerance yet. Also to keep in mind, I'm unsure of how much my Effexor played into my trips.

Thanks guys!

substancecode_diphenhydramine
substancecode_pharms
substancecode_deliriants
explevel_experienced
roacode_oral
exptype_neutral

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, thanks for sharing and welcome. :) Those are some pretty high doses. Most people find DPH and other deliriants to be unpleasant. Did you enjoy your experiences? I guess you must have to do it so often.

Excellent post. Most people experience severe side effects at much lower doses. I think you did a great job describing the effects without glorifying or exaggerating.

Hey, thanks for sharing and welcome. :) Those are some pretty high doses. Most people find DPH and other deliriants to be unpleasant. Did you enjoy your experiences? I guess you must have to do it so often.

Sorry for the late reply!

I looked into how DPH interacts with other drugs and I think I might have found why the high is not too bad for me; drugs like antidepressants and benzos often null the visual effects of DPH. Being on both Effexor, and then later Cymbalta, as well as Xanax most likely cause the effects of the DPH to be mild hallucinogenic-ly. Mentally I experience a fog similar to marijuana, and physically gravity feels 10x more, and my coordination and fine motor skills are completely lost.

I see a lot of the negativity comes from the visual effects of the drug, and so people who also take antidepressants / benzos seem to have a more pleasant experience.

Well besides the visual effects, most people describe the body feeling as feeling really bad, like very restless legs, soreness, a general feeling of malaise. Does it feel good and bad, or neutral, for you physically? What attracted you to the drug repeatedly?

Nope, don't get any of that. Body high is pretty nice, especially to sleep. No 'hangover' the next day. Small doses before I hit the plateau causes restless legs, but after the plateau it causes my extremities to feel a 'fuzzy' sort of sensation. Never had soreness. No feelings of malaise.