• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Is it dangerous to ration my valium prescription this long?

Transcendence

Bluelighter
I have been prescribed benzos daily (usually 30mg diazepam per day) for about 5 years for severe GAD. I've never abused my script and the only thing they do at this point is prevent me from having a seizure. Long story short, due to a couple panic attacks I only have enough left before my refill to take 1 10mg pill per day for the next 7 days.

I like valium because it stays in my system to the point I can skip a day without feeling it. It usually takes 2 days to start feeling sick. 2 questions:

1) Assuming I don't want to ask for an early refill, am I at a significant risk of seizure by cutting my dose by 60% for a week? I have no history of seizures but don't want to die particularly.

2) If this is not unduly reckless and stupid, is it safer to take 20mg every other day or take 10mg every day until the end of the month?

I just tapered off 600mg Lyrica per day and don't have any red flags in my medical record so my doctor wouldn't refuse to fill my script early if absolutely necessary. If I feel sick I wont hesitate to ask to fill a day or 2 early but I'd still like some input on what I may expect if I do cut down this much for a week, for future reference if anything. Thanks.

Last edited:
So 70mg for 7 days? I would go 15 mg day one, 10 day 2, ect and on day 7 take nothing because you get re up.

I don't know your situation, but my pharmacist lets me refill my benzo(was valium, now klonopin) scripts early as long as I pay cash for the refill, and diazepam/clonazepam are cheap enough(especially at his pharmacy, everything is way cheaper than at a chain) that its not a big deal.

I'm in an identical situation completely, I'm coming off approximately 15-30+ mgs mgs of Valium a day which I started taking in an attempt to quit taking Xanax bars for breakfast in order to feel normal everyday...

I found that if you can cut it down every 1-3 days by 2.5-5 mgs, do that, and stabilize as much as you can to that amount. Sometimes like right now when I hit 10-15 mgs a day it's taking like 4 days to adjust completely to where I don't feel like shit at all, the 10-15 end up making me feel like the 25-30 mgs did a week or two ago. Weed helps a ton makes the benzo effects intensify, so for example:
when I take 15 instead of 20 for 3 days to adjust and stabilize, I try to pop either 5 mgs 3 times throughout the day and smoke weed at the "peak" (peak at 5 mgs lol) or I take 10 right away in the morning and smoke all day until I hit like 4-5 pm and that's when I'll take the other 5 mgs in order to feel even a baby buzz before I lay down at night .

By the way I've done this method like 3 times successfully, I seem to have good control over benzos, not opiates :/
After I hit 10 mgs I usually cut down 2.5 mgs until I hit 5 mgs, then I just stop one day replace it with some seroquil at night just for a night or two, or take lyrics/gabapentin only for a day or two after so I'm not feeling weird out of it the first few days completely off benzos.
Good luck to us both