• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

PATM / TMAU From Drug Use?

ThatOneMeltedGuy

Greenlighter
Hi guys , sorry if I'm posting this thread in the wrong place as I'm new here and it seemed the most fitting place. I'm at a really low, desperate point in my life and feel like I have nowhere left to turn for answers. I'm a 23 y/o male who used to go out and party most other weeks with friends and consume quite a lot of drugs. That all stopped a little under 2 years ago when I begun to notice that people would start to get itchy noses, cough/sneeze and block there noses and react generally as if offended by some bad odor or something around me. I can assure you the problem is not related to my hygiene as I shower at least once a day , brush my teeth 3x a day, floss and scrape my tongue and wear brand new clothes most days. The problem has gotten so bad that I went travelling recently and literally 90% of people in the airport and on my airplane were offended by my "odor" or whatever it is, and the feelings of shame and embarrassment were downright crippling . I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar problem or has any advice for me? I've been to my GP several times in the past year and he has just forwarded me to psychologists who diagnosed me with delusional disorder (probably moments after me listing my drug history) . To give you a background of the kind of drugs I used to do back in the day, I regularly consumed Ketamine , Cocaine , MDMA , LSD etc. and onto RC's such as Methoxphenidine , Diphenidine , AMT (Alphamethyltryptamine) , 25i-nbome , Methylone (this one I have to wonder if it could be a culprit , as it would create a nasty body odor shortly after consuming it every single time) . I try speaking about this with friends and family although they basically downplay the situation because it's impossible for them to understand. If you have any information or advice for me it would be gladly appreciated.

Has anyone explicitly told you that you smell? If not, do you have trusted friends or family that you can ask to be 100% honest with you about your smell?

I ask because it sounds from your post that this has not happened, and yet you are 100% sure that people are offended by your smell. Surely if you did smell so bad, your GP would have been able to tell and would not have assumed that this was a purely psychological condition? Surely any psychologist you would have seen would have quickly realised that actually you're not delusional, you do indeed smell?

On that note, why would you even mention your drug history to your GP? There is no known mechanism by which any of the substances you have listed would cause TMAU, and therefore even if they were the cause (which I highly doubt) there is no reason to disclose your drug use. On the other hand, you have done a lot of drugs, quite often (perhaps too often), and psychoactive drugs do have a tendency to induce warped thinking. I had never heard of PATM ("People Allergic To Me", for the benefit of anyone else reading this thread) before today but it does look like it is highly debated whether it has any real physical component to it - ie, it is possible that it is a condition which is psychological in origin, in other words, a delusion.

Ask yourself, what real objective proof is there for the fact that you smell? Perceived reactions from other people that are non-verbal are not objective proof, because if you ARE suffering from a delusion then you will not perceive non-verbal communication accurately. You need someone to have told you, bluntly, that you smell bad. If you can get someone to do this, then perhaps you are right. Until then, and from what you've said in your post, it sounds like you should try to take the advice of any psychologists you are seeing.