• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

How to Win a War on Drugs

poledriver

Bluelighter
How to Win a War on Drugs

LISBON — On a broken-down set of steps, a 37-year-old fisherman named Mario mixed heroin and cocaine and carefully prepared a hypodermic needle. “It’s hard to find a vein,” he said, but he finally found one in his forearm and injected himself with the brown liquid. Blood trickled from his arm and pooled on the step, but he was oblivious.

“Are you O.K.?” Rita Lopes, a psychologist working for an outreach program called Crescer, asked him. “You’re not taking too much?” Lopes monitors Portuguese heroin users like Mario, gently encourages them to try to quit and gives them clean hypodermics to prevent the spread of AIDS.

Decades ago, the United States and Portugal both struggled with illicit drugs and took decisive action — in diametrically opposite directions. The U.S. cracked down vigorously, spending billions of dollars incarcerating drug users. In contrast, Portugal undertook a monumental experiment: It decriminalized the use of all drugs in 2001, even heroin and cocaine, and unleashed a major public health campaign to tackle addiction. Ever since in Portugal, drug addiction has been treated more as a medical challenge than as a criminal justice issue.

After more than 15 years, it’s clear which approach worked better. The United States drug policy failed spectacularly, with about as many Americans dying last year of overdoses — around 64,000 — as were killed in the Vietnam, Afghanistan and Iraq Wars combined.

Cont -

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/...ion.html?_r=0&referer=https://m.facebook.com/

I second that!
They learned Nothing out of alcohol Prohibition!
They better learn soon but i guess theres too
much for them to loose,unemployed jail workers,much
Less prisoners hence less jails etc.
Sorry for rant,Diamorph subst.with NO take homes
Is why so many here rather go on ms-contin,polamidon
and bupe instead

That death toll is astonishing. Another fact to pile onto the mountain of evidence that prohibition does not work. Ending the war and offering help and treatment to those suffering would be a victory. Incarceration is not a cure and hardly a solution.

The war on drugs can be won, and indeed it WILL be won, it is inevitable. It's just that it won't be the prohibitionists doing the winning, it'll be us. :)

Lol yeah clearly it won't be the DEA unless victories are measured in death and incarceration rates.

Lol yeah clearly it won't be the DEA unless victories are measured in death and incarceration rates.

And knowing the DEA... It probably is.

Indeed. So much of the various regulatory economic and political structures now depends almost entirely on maintaining a flow of human chattel through the various organs of the criminal justice system primarily through the war on drugs, without there would require a drastic shift in funding priorities in order to maintain any fiscal advantage. The vested interests that be are incredibly, violently opposed to such changes, because it would require they either drastically alter or dissolve their current business ventures. It doesn’t all come down to money, but that is a huge huge piece of the puzzle.

Until funding is shifted from prisons and law enforcement more appropriately to healthcare, housing, education and support for employment oppertunities little to nothing is going to chance IMO. The good news is that a change can begin almost in any of these areas, but such seems like the furthest thing from possible under America’s current regime.

For anyone who is interested, Angela Davis outstanding book Are Prisons Obsolete? is a must read. Highly recommended.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clearly the government and DEA don't remotely "get it". Their theory is that if it's not working, then throw more money and more agents at the problem. Kind of like banging your head against the wall....repeatedly! Absolute idiots!

Someone mentioned earlier that government and big business have too much invested in the prison system to go a different route. It is true. With the privatization of many prisons and the economic need to keep them as full as possible, change will not come easily if at all. There really are success stories around the globe if one will pull their heads out of the sand (I probably should have said out of their asses but I'm trying to play semi-nice). And unfortunately I don't see any real move in that direction with the current political environment we're in these days. God help us all!

Decriminalising. Legalisation. Taxation.

Three words well spent.

Last edited:
Clearly the government and DEA don't remotely "get it". Their theory is that if it's not working, then throw more money and more agents at the problem. Kind of like banging your head against the wall....repeatedly! Absolute idiots!

Someone mentioned earlier that government and big business have too much invested in the prison system to go a different route. It is true. With the privatization of many prisons and the economic need to keep them as full as possible, change will not come easily if at all. There really are success stories around the globe if one will pull their heads out of the sand (I probably should have said out of their asses but I'm trying to play semi-nice). And unfortunately I don't see any real move in that direction with the current political environment we're in these days. God help us all!

That’s often how governments are like. Got a problem? Keep throwing more money at it.

Schools not good enough? More money.
Too much crime? More money.

No need to think about changing how we spend the money, keep everything the same but with more of it.

Then you have all the reverse problems, I’m talking where we try to save money and wind up spending more money because of it.

Can’t waste money with welfare going to the wrong people used for the wrong things. So put in a substantially more expensive system to keep that from happening.

It’s crazy. And if you ask me one of the biggest causes, and there are many, is that governments don’t really have any consequence for stupid wastes of money. The consequence is supposed to be not getting elected again, but like so many problems with democracy, it all only works with an intelligent responsible voting population. Which sadly doesn’t exist.

Not saying it would be better not to be democratic, that has its own problems that are even worse. It’s just frustrating.