• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Feedback regarding military as a form of rehabilitation

Stats

Greenlighter
Hi everyone,

I am looking for honest opinions regarding the idea of joining the military in some capacity as an alternative to rehab. There isn't a humble way to put this but here is a bit about myself:

I am addicted to stimulants (ADHD meds). I am 21, graduated Summa cum laude (3.9 GPA) from Harvard with a degree in Statistics/Computer Science, have multiple publications and have won international awards in that area. I have successfully hidden my addiction and have no criminal history but do not want to go to rehab because I see it as 'professional death' if I were to ever entertain the idea of graduate school.

I've always had an interest in serving and I think that the rigor and challenge of being in the military might provide the environment I need to be healthy again and develop strong personal skills (self control). I strongly believe that I could contribute greatly if I were to join as a "tech-guy", but would like to hear personal opinions from anyone who has tried this or who knows someone who has gone down this route. It worked for my cousin who was a meth addict and is now clean (15 years).

Please don't bash me for my problem or say that my conjecture is silly, I really am looking for honest feedback and appreciate anyone's thoughts on the matter.

• All the best.

Hi everyone,

I am looking for honest opinions regarding the idea of joining the military in some capacity as an alternative to rehab. There isn't a humble way to put this but here is a bit about myself:

I am addicted to stimulants (ADHD meds). I am 21, graduated Summa cum laude (3.9 GPA) from Harvard with a degree in Statistics/Computer Science, have multiple publications and have won international awards in that area. I have successfully hidden my addiction and have no criminal history but do not want to go to rehab because I see it as 'professional death' if I were to ever entertain the idea of graduate school.

I've always had an interest in serving and I think that the rigor and challenge of being in the military might provide the environment I need to be healthy again and develop strong personal skills (self control). I strongly believe that I could contribute greatly if I were to join as a "tech-guy", but would like to hear personal opinions from anyone who has tried this or who knows someone who has gone down this route. It worked for my cousin who was a meth addict and is now clean (15 years).

Please don't bash me for my problem or say that my conjecture is silly, I really am looking for honest feedback and appreciate anyone's thoughts on the matter.

• All the best.

Since you want to join the military, go for it. I know some people who did go into the military to give them structure and to get off of drugs and it worked for them.

I am not sure why you see going to rehab as a personal failure or professional death? Lots of people who are professionals have gone to rehab and lead fulfilling sober lives, and it does not make them a failure or did not completely ruin their career or chances of getting hired. Good luck.

i have met people for who the structure of the military was useful in helping them clean up their lives. Likewise I have met people for whom it turned out horribly. By the same token, I have met people who have found a lot of benefit in the structure of rehab, and again orthers who were left worse off for them experience.

I think what is most important is that you do what feels most genuine to you. Treatment isn't going to make getting into a good grad school more difficult, and in most cases the same goes for employment (it depends on the field/jo IME).

Do you have any friends or family in the military who could help you gain a less than biased opinion? Talking to people who have been through it is probably the most helpful in making a decision.

My own opinion is that if you can't handle getting sober IRL the military isn't going to solve your problems. At the very least, getting clean to the point of being able to pass a drug test prior to making the decision to enter the military is a must IMO.

Yeah you'd have to be clean to even get Into the Service so.... won't ya need rehab first anyway?
I say go to rehab n see how ya feel afterwards. If the academic world and your surroundings put you in Need of the stims, then perhaps a 180 in lifestyle Would help Keep ya off them.
But ya gotta get clean first.

Hi everyone,

• All the best.
It's great that you want to join the army but if your an addict I strongly recommend going to a rehab if needed and work on your recovery (meetings, sponsor, working the steps,) being in the military is not going to just make not be an addict anymore,, recovery is a life long thing,,, you need to work on yourself before jumping into the military.. trust me.

It's great that you want to join the army but if your an addict I strongly recommend going to a rehab if needed and work on your recovery (meetings, sponsor, working the steps,) being in the military is not going to just make not be an addict anymore,, recovery is a life long thing,,, you need to work on yourself before jumping into the military.. trust me.you don't want to be a dry drunk because eventually you will go back to your drug of choice.