• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Pharmaceutical Options for Treating Hyperhidrosis

peaceheeb

Greenlighter
Hey y'all

I'm a 34 year old male with idiopathic hyperhidrosis which has led to social anxiety and a few other issues. I've always been a very sweaty individual and it has only become more and more troublesome as I've grown older. I sweat all over, not just in particular spots. As I went through puberty and became more self-aware this constant sweating it has led to severe social anxiety and exacerbated my hyperhidrosis. I now sweat for multiple reasons, sometimes it happens for no apparent reason and other times it is a result of anticipating that I'm going to sweat. I know, it's a fucking mess....

I've actually begun to withdrawal from social encounters because of the fear of sweating. Social situations have become increasingly difficult and though I found solace in drug use to ease my anxiety, this approach has ultimately failed me. Booze worked for a while but the negatives far outweighed the positives (it doesn't help that I'm epileptic and the alcohol changed my seizure threshold quite a bit). I also tried opiates but they tend to increase my sweating so that was out the window. Benzos worked ok but were far too addictive and had a negative impact seizure-wise as well. I currently take propanolol for social anxiety but it is only mildly effective. Honestly, my social anxiety really comes from me knowing that I'm going to sweat profusely at some point, which causes me to sweat even more. Damned if I do; damned if I don't....

In addition to the anxiety issues surrounding my excessive sweating, I've also begun to suffer physical problems related to it. I literally sweat so much that I have serious trouble staying hydrated and recently I've been developing skin problems related to constantly being wet. Even with foot powder I can ruin a pair of shoes in a few weeks and I will develop swamp-foot if I'm not careful. I get sores all over my body and any cuts tend to become infected rather easily, even though I shower often and carry a first aid kit with me, which I use religiously. I'm actually in the hospital right now (I've been in for over a week now) because a tiny sore on my groin became so infected that I could no longer walk and came very close to losing my penis. Yeah, I know. Fucking miserable. That said though, I've been having fun all week joking about having swamp-dick. At least I do still have a sense of humor!

Anyway, having tried just about everything for this, I'd like to give anticholinergics a try. I've read a good bit about them and feel like they may be of use to me. They are particularly attractive because they can also stop excessive salivating, urinating, etc, which I also have problems with. Has anyone tried this class of drugs for something similar to this? I'm looking at oxybutynin since it seems to be the most commonly prescribed. Any thoughts?

At any rate, sorry for rambling. I am dead tired from medical tests and everything else today so I'll have to get back to this tomorrow, but I wanted to get this up and see what anyone else had to say about it. I will go through and try to clean it up a little when I have more energy as I know I'm scatter-brained.

Cheers!

Oxybutynin and glycopyrrolate seem to be the two most commonly used for hyperhidrosis. I think oxybutynin has been shown to be slightly more effective but think either is fine. There are a ton of side effects as you seem to know but sounds like they may actually be of benefit. Oxybutynin in the IR form is also dirt cheap.

I assume you are using the Rx strength Aluminum Chloride antiperspirants (Drysol and others)? Theres always Botox if really desperate.

You may want to ask if your dermatologist has had any success with compounding an anticholinergic topical cream. Its pretty rare to see but may be useful for you.

Find a Chinese medicine practitioner who does Chinese herbs. Seriously, they can fix this. I have treated this condition many times in my practice with a high success rate. Whoever you find, make sure they're licensed and have been doing it for at least 10 years. It's not really a hard condition to fix but it does take some experience.

Acupuncture can help short term, but make sure they do herbs. The herbs are key.

In addition to options mentioned above, you may also find low dose clonidine helpful, which is often particularly effective for idiopathic hyperhidrosis and generally more tolerable than some others.