• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health What is an anti-anxiety drug that does NOT affect mental clarity?

Exercise. Other than that I take klonopin. I've been on no more than 1.5mg for over 3-4 years now, so I think that's pretty good.

So i tried Propranolol....NEVER AGAIN!

30 hours later, i feel like i got run over by a semi trailer...and the truck is still on top of me.

I took half a pill, 20mg. A few hours later i noticed i was feeling a bit like i'd been drinking AND smoking up. Weird feeling, nothing intense though, barely there...but noticeable.

A little after that, i am starving, like i got the munchies. I eat but a shortly afterwards i still feel the munchies.

I feel tired; like hung-over-tired. But i can't sleep for long - 3 hours max.

I have this uncomfortable feeling in my chest, like a slight pressure. This one is by far the most uncomfortable feeling of them all. Don't know if it is a physical feeling or that i am short of breath. But i know i am not short of breath, it just feels that way.

I have cotton mouth and feel like drinking all the time.

All of these feelings are not intense, just uncomfortable. Feels like i am high and hung over.

When will it go away??

Last edited:
visterol or whatever that drug is called. it might my that hydroxyline but its an antihistamine so when you get off it youll have allergies like a mofo. All my doctors have recommended cannabis and exercise as a treatment. seems to work for me sort of

Passion flower, Kava, Valerian root. If you can find the liquid tincture forms, they are pretty good. I get big vitamin b12 capsules and empty them out, and fill them up with the Kava and/or Valerian liquid (because they both taste pretty terrible) and can swallow as much of them as I want without the taste. Passion flower actually taste good, kinda like maple syrup, and can be pretty sedating and benzo-like before you start building a tolerance.

I have this uncomfortable feeling in my chest, like a slight pressure. This one is by far the most uncomfortable feeling of them all. Don't know if it is a physical feeling or that i am short of breath. But i know i am not short of breath, it just feels that way.

I get that exact same thing, I attribute it to anxiety. It's a terrible feeling. I find doing a little intense physical exertion like pushups and weight lifting, or bike riding, anything that you can do to physically exert yourself to the point that you start feeling the burn in your muscles and get your cardio going hard. You will definitely feel at least a little relief from exercise. Also like I mentioned in my previous post, supplements I have found helpful with those symptoms are Passion Flower, Valerian Root, and Kava (but you have to get good, usually expensive, potent and quality sources, not the crap they sell at most big-chain pharmacies like CVS)

There are some forms of meditation that are significantly helpful against anxiety and that aren't known to damper cognition. I've found green tea to be really useful at certain times. I am a nicotine user, which seems to help me, but even not in tobacco it would be a big choice to make and I wouldn't really recommend it.

A few people find magnesium to help.

Your reaction to propranolol sounds a bit extreme. low dose too.

Personally I wouldn't really recommend you get started on the drug train. Probably meditation and lots of exercise is best.

When I was off SSRIs I found fabomotizole helped with background anxiety with no effect on clarity. But its not a well known drug, your doc won't prescribe it for you (unless you come from that part of the world), so who knows what you're playing with, what long term issues there might be etc..

Similar with Grandaxin, nice stuff, like a benzo without the sedation, but again, who knows what you're getting into, I only ever used it a few times.

Wellbutrin and Buspar are two different drugs, aren't they? If I remember right, Buspar is also sold as Zyban as a stopping smoking aid. I took it for a year or so with Prozac and Trazodone, supposedly to stop anxiety without the side effects of benzoes. It took a long time to start working and the effect was very subtle, but eventually I did feel less anxiety. Eventually the combo failed, like they always do, and after a lot of experimentation--with doctor's help--began Effexor, an SNRI that is supposed to help depression and panic attacks, which it does. I don't need any other psych meds with it, and it's worked now for at least ten years. With a history of not being able to live in my own skin most of my life without heavily self-medicating on drugs like heroin, just the fact that I actually became able to feel what I think is "normal" is amazing. Before the SSRI's came along, I alternated between suicidal ideation and attempts, psych hospitalizations, active addiction with heroin, pills, or alcohol, along with generally out-of-control behavior; jumping out of moving cars, pulling guns on people, very crazy stuff. The tricyclics helped a little, but with their side effects, turned me into a zombie. The first time I tried an SSRI and it worked was amazing. I'd tried Paxil, which made me puke, Zoloft, which did nothing, and finally Prozac, which took about two weeks to work, but when it did it was instantaneous. I looked around me and it seemed like the world had been black and white, and all of a sudden, color came into being. Sounds crazy, but it's true. Hope you find some relief! Peace, Sherry

The term "adaptogen", though maybe used a bit liberally, is generally known as a type of herb that can heal the nervous system, and offer some mental utility. Tulsi, ashwagandha, and green tea, come to mind.

If you want to idealize your mental clarity while non-anxious, looking into therapeutic techniques can offer a lot of benefit, and little harm.

I was under the impression that CBT works well for depression, but also anixety. They can tend to work in tandem.

Personally, and among those I know, developing a personal meditation/breathing technique has been arguably more useful than any prescription medication. When one has practiced for long enough, the relaxation kicks in faster than quick-acting benzodiazepines, and offers insight into one's position, counter to just weighing down the situation with inhibiting chemicals.

Money usually is an issue for most of us. But if you have the means, getting a massage or acupuncture every now and then, also offers help.

I suffer from bipolar disorder which is anxiety related. There are 2 phases with this condition: anxiety/depression & mania. I've been taking 300-600 mg/day of gabapentin for years & it works like magic. If I start to feel tight or depressed, I take 100-200 mg & it's gone within an hour. No impairment of cognition.

A number of epilepsy drugs are used off-label to treat depression & bipolar disorder. Another is sodium valproate, which I tried first but it had no effect. Here is a UK list: https://www.epilepsysociety.org.uk/list-anti-epileptic-drugs#.WmpEH66nEdV I'd stay away from the benzos & barbiturates as they might create more problems than they fix.

Last edited: