• NMI Moderators: Snafu in the Void

Rita Prell, of the U.S., exp. w/classic psychedelics (&disassociatives), ~20 yrs ago!

Rita Prell

Bluelighter
Rita Prell, of the U.S., exp. w/classic psychedelics (&disassociatives), ~20 yrs ago!

I am a new member. I am married. I have a family. When I was born, LSD was still legal.

I have checked this sight, many times, before, but have only just joined.

I am a Christian.

That's probably not typical of those introducing themselves, herein.

In fact, I am a candidate for seminary (I come from a long line of clergy) for a major reformed-tradition (Protestant) denomination.

LSD (and other such substances - though it's been around 20 years, since, I have, in my past, smoked dipropyltrpytamine (DPT), taken mushrooms, had mescaline (via San Pedro), snorted ketamine, done PCP, in addition to haven taken LSD hundreds of times, from micro-doses (before that was a thing), to up to around 4,500 micrograms, in a single day) deepened my belief in the supernatural (I was brought up in the faith and am aware of the indiscriminately intensifying nature of these drugs, so, I don't claim that they make believers, of any stripe, out of anyone, much less railroad the mind into belief in The Messiah, specifically) and in Jesus Christ, as the living Son of God. While I haven't taken illegal drugs of any type in close to 20 years, almost a day does not pass without my thinking (or feeling - it's all mixed together) on the psychedelic realm (even though I know it was between my two ears) and how this informs my faith.

I am that unusual combination of - obviously - liberality (when it comes to drug use...and I do tend to apply hermeneutics, when it comes to much of Old Testament scripture, such as the creation story; I know it's allegorical, even though there are some truths embedded in it which can provide some guide for daily living) and conservative approach (when it comes to most other things, such as human sexuality, which I know isn't going to make me popular).

I've lurked on some of the threads wherein some of the brilliant people on this site have discussed chemistry and synthesis. When I first took LSD (it WAS illegal, by then), I thought that learning to make it might be my way to turn on the world, however, while I'm possessed of very strong verbal and written skills, I didn't keep up with the math, comparatively, so, I struggled with chemistry, in high school.

All the therapy modalities that have been (for those who don't know - back in the '50's, in the U.S. and Canada (and somewhat, in Europe), there was tremendous excitement over the efficacy of LSD in therapy, including towards overcoming addictions) and continue to be developed are exciting and I'm interested in counseling, but, as starts from the spiritual. Thus, my interest is in using these substances - psychedelic drugs - in the worship of The Almighty and Eternal God.

I'm interested in contact with like-minded clergy. They are out there and they aren't just those who remain alive who were part of The Good Friday "experiment" (I put that in quotes because it's ridiculous to have a control in such circumstances and, beyond a few cases, such as this, Timothy Leary did more to inhibit than codify the free expression of religion, which would include the ingestion of psychedelics). I know a very few. (Lisa Bieberman (she IS married, now) wrote on the subject as cogently as anyone, in the 1960's, but she seemed to identify more as trip guide than worship service officiant, and, in fact, she now is a Quaker; the "Friends" have a free-flowing type of worship, without a prescribed "form," which might appeal to many, but, I'm interested in structure, i.e., more "church" than "Burning Man.")

In all things, faith in and following of Jesus Christ is first and foremost, but, towards Christians who would disagree and wish to censor my approach, I would refer to Romans 14: 1-12, in which Paul admonishes the early church not to reject, out of hand, those who have practices different than their own, but, to find commonality, particularly when the discerning Spirit confirms that they, too, are one, in the Body of Christ.

I can't defend, 100%, my feelings, either ("Modest doubt is the beacon of the wise" - Shakespeare), but, it doesn't seem accidental (even though I know all the laws of thermodynamics are in play, including those exceptions as to when order does arise out of chaos - which makes for quite the head trip for me as a strict evolutionist!) that these substances exist on our planet. I used to go to Grateful Dead shows. The Dead had a song, "Box of Rain" (which I always assumed was a vial of liquid LSD). There's a line or two from it that go ..."I don't know who put it there, believe it, if you need it, or heed it, if you dare."

THAT's how I feel. It's an awe-inspiring, wonderful gift to humanity, for those who would so choose.

I haven't read many introductions, on this site, but, I'm guessing that there's never been one like this, but, I hope that there might be some more.

I won't be a frequent poster, but, I'll always check back, in time, particularly on any threads I start.

God bless you all.

The most important thing is that everyone is safe. I hope everyone will approach any of the topics covered, here and elsewhere, with caution, skepticism, and a sense of fun.

Peace,

Rita Prell

Hello Rita, welcome to Bluelight from all of us here :)

I loved reading your story, you sound highly intelligent, very interesting and quite unique, as you say :) However I do know there are plenty of other Christians (of various denominations) on here with views that aren't too dissimilar to your own, and who knows you may find some whom you eventually click with and feel are on a similar wavelength.

In either case, we all learn from each other no matter what our backgrounds or views, and that's what makes places like Bluelight so special and valuable for us all.

Take care and enjoy yourself here :)
CFC

Thanks, yes - I understand and appreciate all cultures and approaches

Hello Rita, welcome to Bluelight from all of us here :)

I loved reading your story, you sound highly intelligent, very interesting and quite unique, as you say :) However I do know there are plenty of other Christians (of various denominations) on here with views that aren't too dissimilar to your own, and who knows you may find some whom you eventually click with and feel are on a similar wavelength.

In either case, we all learn from each other no matter what our backgrounds or views, and that's what makes places like Bluelight so special and valuable for us all.

Take care and enjoy yourself here :)
CFC

Nick Sands - bless his family! - was sort-of Hindu/animistic, but, I'm sure I'd share common ground (were he alive) if I could talk with him. I'm sure I dropped his acid.

Will Pickford - let's free that man, already! - bends Buddhist, in his animism, but I'm sure we'd have plenty on which we agree, too - and I've had his acid, I feel sure, as well.

Owsley was kind-of stuck in his anger against anything or any idea of the supernatural (I had contact with him, not that long before he died), but, I had some points of congruence with him, as well.

I study world religions and have a friend who is a Sikh, I know a Hindu priest (trying to get him in on Johns Hopkins's Roland Griffith's psilocybin study with religious professionals (they've got all the Christians they need - they're looking for some diversity - like an imam, a Buddhist monk, etc.), plenty who identify as sort-of or full-on Buddhist, and many, many who come from every stripe of belief, non-belief, or who are thinking about it, all. I have patience with the fundamentalist Christians, some of whom (even my own (extended) family who don't think I'm a believer in Jesus Christ, at all, because of some of the other beliefs I allow) will hate me because of things they don't understand.

I am sure that there will be plenty of common ground to tread, but, it is the conservative Protestant with whom I'm trying to spark direct contact.

Wow, really interesting introduction - thanks rita!

You may actually be surprised how many christian members we have on bluelight. :)

Welcome - i assume you've found your way to the psychedelic drugs subforum already? Plenty of like-minded heads post in there.

<3

It is the conservative Protestant with whom I'm trying to spark direct contact.

Perhaps start a thread in psychedelic drugs, as suggested by spacejunk, asking if there are any like-minded conservative protestants sharing your interests who want to get in touch? You may not get an instant response, but someone may eventually answer :)

Best of luck,
CFC

The Social Thread in Psychedelic Drugs is a great way to open up communications with that BL community as well, in a less formal way :)

Wow, really interesting introduction - thanks rita!

You may actually be surprised how many christian members we have on bluelight. :)

Welcome - i assume you've found your way to the psychedelic drugs subforum already? Plenty of like-minded heads post in there.

Sorry, just getting the hang of the posting business...

I guess what I meant to say is that I was musing that it was probably the anomaly amongst introductions where one mentions religious affiliation, at all!

Indeed, I'm sort-of wary of those who bandy about the word "Christian," as a label, moreover, any who would say such in order to influence, for ex., a 'biz transaction!

I've always felt that when one wears their Christianity on their sleeve - where it's signing a contract or they're taking your money - better watch your wallet!

It's not that Christianity has been tested and found wanting, it's that those who espouse the beliefs required aren't up to the task! That includes me.

Mark 10:18 has a guy coming go Jesus, saying "Hey, Good Teacher..." whereupon Jesus stops him in his tracks, before he can lay it on, any thicker, to say, "Who 'ya callin' 'good'; none is good, but God alone." So, even though Christians consider Jesus to be the Son of the Living God, in the flesh, he's making that distinction between the corporeal and the cosmic, to say that nothing of our realm is good, compared to awe-inspiring and Holy God...thus, not one of us can claim "goodness."

My children talk about a character they've seen on television or from a book as a "bad" man.

When they're in anything akin to a contemplative mood, I'll ask them to tell me the difference between a good and a bad man, because compared to God, none of us can claim any righteousness.

So, I didn't mean to infer that Christians wouldn't be on this site. That's the opposite of what I think. I expect that they are and I think that, when it comes to psychedelics, those who can handle it should be on this site, should imbibe, should praise The Eternal One via that means or however they see fit.

I did mean that it's probably the rarity that someone does mention their religious affiliation, at the outset, because it's generally moot, when it comes to the drug specifics, but, I do so to make clear that there is a new thinking (Council on Spiritual Practices's (CSP - San Francisco) Bob Jesse, who was instrumental in designing the study, along with Johns Hopkins's Rolland Griffiths, using psilocybin with religious professionals (they're seeking a Hindu priest, an imam, a Buddhist monk, and other non-Christians, yet - so please refer anyone, directly to them, in Baltimore)...which is like the old thinking (Good Friday Experiment participants, who, almost to a man, described it as one of the most significant experiences of their lives, "Captain" Al Hubbard (conservative Catholic who turned on monsignors, who wrote letters suggesting others consider likewise)...and Christians shouldn't hide; they can say, plainly, that there isn't a contradiction between dropping acid and believing in The Messiah, but, in fact, one can aid the other.

Ah...way to go in putting my foot in my mouth, Day 1, but, there you have it...all my mistakes pave my way to success...

Rita

Perhaps start a thread in psychedelic drugs, as suggested by spacejunk, asking if there are any like-minded conservative protestants sharing your interests who want to get in touch? You may not get an instant response, but someone may eventually answer :)

Best of luck,
CFC

Thank you, both.

It's an excellent idea.

- R.P.

So, I didn't mean to infer that Christians wouldn't be on this site. That's the opposite of what I think. I expect that they are and I think that, when it comes to psychedelics, those who can handle it should be on this site, should imbibe, should praise The Eternal One via that means or however they see fit.

Nice.
That's interesting - thanks for expanding on that, i respect it a lot.
To put it in rather crude terms that i hope don't sound insincere - I'm quite interested in "theology" (at least as it relates to the study of philosophy) but rather turned off by the way "organised religion" seems to function - so i appreciate that a lot. I never suspected you were a conventional christian ;)

You haven't put your foot in it at all - quite the opposite - i am personally really looking forward to reading your posts.

Nice.
That's interesting - thanks for expanding on that, i respect it a lot.
To put it in rather crude terms that i hope don't sound insincere - I'm quite interested in "theology" (at least as it relates to the study of philosophy) but rather turned off by the way "organised religion" seems to function - so i appreciate that a lot. I never suspected you were a conventional christian ;)

You haven't put your foot in it at all - quite the opposite - i am personally really looking forward to reading your posts.

Thanks, "Space."

Glad to get to know you, as well.

Certainly, religions have influenced philosophy and then, back again. Out of the ancient Vedic religion, of the Indus Valley, somewhat sprouting off of Hinduism and in reaction to the priestly class, came Charvaka, which was more a philosophical outlook, denying the supernatural as of any value, which reminds me of David Hume and the British Radical Empiricism. I loved the radical empiricist approach so much that, at one time, back in college, I considered myself a Christian Radical Empiricism, but, I guess that's essentially a contradiction in terms...

It's the fault of the church, predominantly, that people don't cotton to the organizational side of what they ostensibly have built, in the name of Christ. Truly, that's because it's less Christ-like than The Man, himself...and that man was an itinerant preacher who reserved his harshest rebukes for the religious professionals of his day and time.

Yes, compared to most, I seem to be a real contradiction in terms, but, that's only because everybody else got it wrong! Ha! Funny, but true, in a way!

I am glad that I could be a surprise, today.

Rita

So, after all those psychedelic trips, do you still believe in automatic everladsting fire and brimstone if you dont say "Dear Lord Jesus. i am a sinner. I believe you died on the cross for my sins. Thank you. Please come into my heart and save me from hell" HALLALEJUAH!!!! Now I am saved. One life to live then itd beautiful eternity? Seriously?

I admit, I saw two of your post in PD and they rubbed me the wrong way. Looked at your pist history and here I am.

My background. 17 years brainwashed southern baptist. Do I disbelieve there was a Jesus? Not neccessarily. My opinions would line up with the rather large book Paramahansa (sp?) Yogananda wrote relating the true meaning of Jesus's message and how it coincides with Hinduism. "Know not that ye are Gods". The power to awaken Godhood in us all. That I can fuck with. Some crucified dude buying my way into paradise seems shortsighted though

No worries, "Yep." No, the likely fundamentalism which you refer to as was ur history

...is not, in my opinion, something that Jesus would have condoned.

I do not ascribe to what you describe.

I am quite familiar with Hinduism and have respect for all world religious traditions.

I am glad to have made your acquaintance, on this site.

Rita Prell

74247608eaf0e94a2a9b289697c5cc00.454x476x1.jpg

Are you just going to every thread in the new members introductions and replying with this photo? Its a pretty disingenuous way of saying hello to newbies. Just saying.

by whatever means you happened, by this thread, J.U.L., thanks for posting

Are you just going to every thread in the new members introductions and replying with this photo? Its a pretty disingenuous way of saying hello to newbies. Just saying.

I didn't understand it, either, but, I've done weird, inexplicable stuff, too, so I just thought that there might be some purpose, later revealed...though perhaps not...

Thanks for posting, regardless,

Rita Prell

welcome to fold Rita! wow, really firing out the points aren't ya?
your middle name wouldn;'t happen to be Lynne would it, get it..?
Rita Lynne, get it? ( ‾ʖ̫‾)
༼ ༎ຶ ෴ ༎ຶ༽ritalin
ahahah WELCOME RITALYNNE