• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Pets MEGA Cats VS Dogs - POLL!

The Big Question - Cat v's Dog

• Total voters
Don't worry about novels, I love a read. Yours was welcomingly informative, thank you so much.

As an aside, I give my 2 yo cat the nip but I've not given the baby any yet. He's only just over 2 months old. He's still wrapping his head around his own paws. Afink I'll wait a bit. He's cute but a little too young.

Thanks so much!!! :D

Yeah, most kittens don't seem to be attracted to it. ("Just Say No, young Pootums!")

I'm so sorry, my mom's not doing well and I wanted to explain everything, but I was switching between two different computers and one wasn't working. I thought that I had deleted my original post and sent a new one, but I ended up editing the first one and pasting part of an old one so I realize that none of it made any sense.

Anyway, I begged her to go to the ER for two days but she refused and said that she was all better. She was laughing and working in the yard and everything. Now everybody's saying that I should have called 911 myself and that it'll be my fault if anything happens to her.

This is my worst nightmare come to life. I always worry about doing or saying something that puts somebody else in danger and feeling responsible anyway. Now, not only is that actually happening but it's my mom.

I had a lot of old posts from different forums where I talked about things like medications that helped me in the past. I don't want to give anyone the wrong information or advice, so I decided to delete all of them and not post any new ones.

I'm sorry for making this so confusing. I didn't want to disappear without trying to explain, but I didn't have time to fix my posts and didn't even realize that I sent half of the wrong one. I hope this makes more sense. I'll try to post this on the other forums before I have to get off this computer, because I don't know if and when I'll have access to one again.

I love everyone

I have not read thread yet. I will go back and re read. My answer summing up my experiences is Yes.

Accidentally Poked Cat?

There are coyotes in my area, and my cat is 14 years old so I'm very cautious to make sure he doesn't get outside. While I was coming in just now from the store, I was holding the car keys. My cat was attempting to bolt outside, which he usually doesn't do. Anyways, I reached extremely swiftly to grab him to keep him from running outside...... and I kind of poked him with my car key 8o He is acting fine and all, but at the moment he made a brief cry sound I think. For a brief moment seconds after that, I reached down to pet him and he kind of backed up for a second. But he's okay now and is even rubbing his head on me. I jabbed myself in the hand with the keys just to see what it may have felt like..... and it didn't break the skin or anything like that but it hurt pretty bad for a second and left a red mark and my palm is slightly sore. I'm a bit concerned about my cat at the moment. This happened probably 1-2 minutes ago, and I just feel that I need a second opinion on this. Should I be worried about him?

Your cat is totally fine, but it's almost certainly silently plotting your death now.

Your cat is fine. One time I was in a big hurry and ran back inside my house to grab something I had forgotten. My cat was hanging out on the dark stairs and I ran full speed up them and as a result I kicked her in the head at full speed with my shoe on. She hid under the bed for most of a day but she's fine, that was like 10 years ago.

Another time my other cat was nibbling on me to try to wake me up to feed him at 6am, AGAIN (he used to be an asshole like that). Half asleep, after being nibbled awake multiple times, I flung my arm out, he was on the bed beside my head, and knocked him straight off. He hit an open dressed drawer with his side, he made a sound like he got the wind knocked out of him. I felt horrible and I was worried about him but he was totally fine, maybe a little bruised.

But yeah your cat is fine, don't worry about it. :)

Shambles punted our kitten ( obviously by accident) . He was walking down the hall and I believe the kitten suddenly ran in front of him. You just know he got that kittens butthole in his face for a good week while he slept. He got shady side eye too.

Last edited:
Catching Feral Cats Anyone?

I have a new job of helping to catch feral cats to get spayed/neutered for my university's Feral Cat Club! Anyone have any tips? Thanks :)

P.s. We use a cage type trap with food as bait. They're trained for a couple weeks to get comfy with it before we actually set the trap on the day we have the appointment at the vet.

Keep a soft blanket or towel to hand. They're scared!

They should give you proper training. Soft voices comfort them.

WEAR LONG ANIMAL GLOVES!

Also, don't be lulled into a false sense of security..... Cats are sneaky ;) that's why we love them!

i accidentally step (just a little bit) on my parents' kitten all the time because it attacks my shoe laces. also open doors into it because it sits on the other side waiting to attack. always quickly recovers and forgives me.

makes a run for it when an outside door is open, too. fortunately it doesn't know what's next and stops as soon as it gets outside.

Normally we just release them back into the wild. But we do continue feeding them. There is another girl in the club who is pretty keen on them, and she has kinda adopted a few. But yeah, they basically stay feral for the most part, although most of them are pretty chill with the humans who feed them.

Be prepared to get torn up occasionally, even wearing protective gear. But don't take it personally. And good luck :)

Oh, and make sure you've had recent immunity shots.

ADOPT THEM ALL!!!! <3 sorry, crazy cat lady here! Ignore me!

Excuse me I need to go cuddle my cats ;)

Of course you would have posted this. You used to spend more time picking out the ideal variety and consistency of cat food than your own groceries. Charlie still sleeps with your blue afghan and I still buy him roaster chickens because you ruined him : /

Shambles spends ages picking out the cats food. Nowt wrong with dat cat love <3

This is a very old thread and seeing all the old names makes me very nostalgic.

On topic: I grow the plant. Some cats come from who knows how far following the scent. My own cat says, "meh" and completely ignores the living nip but likes to roll and get crazy with the dry stuff. I have never seen a cat have an adverse reaction--either they love it and it makes them playful or they don't even react at all. I had one big dumb siamese male that used to splay his paws out, the better to horde it, and simply sit there holding it down and purring his head off.:)

that's so cute -i can picture the siamese kitty.

i like growing catnip - i like the look and the smell of them. feline visitors is a pretty sweet bonus as well. i might have to grab some next time i'm at the nursery.
my cat is like yours herby - not interested (aqlthough it does affect her - unlike my previous cat - and she never deliberately seeks it out) but we have a couple of foster cats at the moment, and i've never tried giving it to them.
(actually, from memory, my kitty looks like yours as well, doesn't she? you have a tortie?)

He's fine. He actually just came over to me as I was responding to this thread :)

Aww, that's good to hear. I'm sure he knows that you didn't mean to do it. Kitties are very perceptive. If he had a problem with it he'd let you know, believe me :D