• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

FAFSA and Selective Service

peaceheeb

Greenlighter
Hey y'all.

I'm a 34 year old male in the US. I've been a traveller most of my life and have generally done computer work for myself. I am proficient with computers but would like to go back to college. Since I don't have any savings I would want to apply for student aid to pay for school/living expenses. The only issue is that I never registered for the selective service and am therefore not eligible for federal student aid, at least according to the information I've found on the internet. I have, however, found some claims that you can have that requirement waived. Anyone have experience with this? I honestly never knew that I had to register and since I was on my own from 16 years old I didn't find out until much later in life. I'm still doing to research on this to see how likely it is to be granted an exception, though it doesn't seem very likely.

Any input would be appreciated!

Cheers

Speak with vocational rehabilitation in your area, they are there to help you find the resources you need.
I wouldn't let the internet discourage you from wanting to go back to school.

Peaceheeb is there any reason you didn't register for selective service? I'm just curious because they have not drafted anyone for at least 4 decades. 1973 actually. That's before you were born.

Not a judgement, just curious.

BTW when I was a young man I had a 3D deferment (divinity school). When I left the seminary I notified them of my change of status and they left me totally alone. Later I volunteered for the USAF, but that was my decision. I think that if you seek to make things whole they will accommodate you.

They not only gave me a good job in the USAF (that I qualified for, BTW) but they let me earn my Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering during my tour of duty. I got paid to earn my Masters. Perhaps you can do something similar?

Good luck and sending good vibes your way