• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

booze and casual painkillers

Yea, it's interesting how different people react to the same substances. I have a MASSIVE problem with heroin, but never had any issue at all with alcohol. I seem to be just like anyone else. In fact I probably drink a lot less than most people who drink at all.

I went through a period in my late teens where I drank too much as part of my coping with various problems. But it's never been an addiction, I've never had any problem whatsoever choosing not to drink and I've never felt any cravings for alcohol. I don't have an alcohol problem. I do have a heroin problem, and an opioid problem in general.

I don't do benzos very often and have never had a long term problem with them but I'd say I still have more of a problem with them than alcohol. Stuff like using more than I initially intended too, using too much. Ive never had much of a compulsion to use them after I haven't for a while, but that still makes benzos something I have more trouble using responsibly than alcohol. Opioids on the other hand, I am addict through and through.

But some people are the total reverse, I wonder why some people are so prone to some substances but not others.

Yeah, same here - plus, I found that after i got into opiates and other drugs (such as benzos) that i don't get much in the way of pleeasurable effects from alcohol.
I know some people can use booze and heroin etc at the same time, but for me it was always one or the other.
I'm not sure if it is a metabolic or other biological or physiological issue, or just a matter of taste or tolerance.

Yea, it's interesting how different people react to the same substances. I have a MASSIVE problem with heroin, but never had any issue at all with alcohol. I seem to be just like anyone else. In fact I probably drink a lot less than most people who drink at all.

I went through a period in my late teens where I drank too much as part of my coping with various problems. But it's never been an addiction, I've never had any problem whatsoever choosing not to drink and I've never felt any cravings for alcohol. I don't have an alcohol problem. I do have a heroin problem, and an opioid problem in general.

I don't do benzos very often and have never had a long term problem with them but I'd say I still have more of a problem with them than alcohol. Stuff like using more than I initially intended too, using too much. Ive never had much of a compulsion to use them after I haven't for a while, but that still makes benzos something I have more trouble using responsibly than alcohol. Opioids on the other hand, I am addict through and through.

But some people are the total reverse, I wonder why some people are so prone to some substances but not others.
^^this
Im a living example.. for me benzos are Godly gifts to mankind "bearing in mind that i have massive anxiety and panic issues"

First off I'm a medic and don't recommend you mixing NSAIDs (especially acetaminophen) with ETOH (ethyl alcohol - just in case a reader is unfamiliar with the abbreviation). Also on top of my experience in the field and hospitals my wife almost died of liver failure a few years ago due to ETOH alone so let me fill you in a bit about what liver failure is like and why it's not worth the risk: Elephant in the room - yes the liver is the only organ that can regenerate but this is limited to the amount of damage, too much and it's over.

SO: If experiencing acute ETOH/drug induced hepatitis (inflamation of the liver - not to be confused with viral hepatitis A/B/C etc.) you will likely start with severe upper abdominal pain maybe radiating to the back. As the liver stops working it will also stop processing bilirubin which will cause levels to rise and turn you into a simpsons character which we call jaundice. First it will be the whites of your eyes and then all of you. As your liver fails to perform it will stop producing albumin. Albumin is a large molecule that keeps fluid in the vasculature due to it's oncotic pull. When these levels drop fluid starts escaping into 2nd and 3rd space causing edema in the lower extremities and distention of the abdomen as fluid is lost from venous/arterial space quicker than the lymphatic system can put it back. You will end up with this abdominal distention (ascites) and require a procedure called a paracentesis - this is a huge ass needle put into the abdominal space (while you are awake) to drain excess fluid. The issues with your liver can also lead to pancreatitis, renal failure, heart failure, and everything else nasty you can imagine. Ammonia levels will rise causing hepatic encephalopathy of the brain meaning you'll not mentate properly and at this point maybe won't care that you're dieing, but you are. After a week in hospital I was told my wife had mayb 48 hours of consciousness and would likely die within 5 days afterward. There will be enough time for you to see your family members and say goodbye but by then the brain swelling and amount of opiates you need for pain control will make it meaningless - for you. Barring all of the scopes put either up your ass or down your thoat, poking, prodding, Rx and side-effects, you will die slow enough for the people around you to watch. It's not an easy out, and as an addict you don't qualify for transplant - even if a family member wanted to donate they will not risk two lives to save one (at least here). It's a long, slow, and painful death - which is why I always warn teenage girls I encounter in distress against tylenol OD. It seemed to be popular with girls when I was in high school but they didn't realize that doing so wouldn't kill them right away. It would kill them in a week, or a month. Long after they've had time to reconside things after it's too late.

I know you say "once in a while" but don't take chances on that. It's no joke, and it's a shitty way to go. My wife survived btw - after I'd told her she was going to die in two days they threw a hail mary and she responded and is doing well (not great, but well). When she was discharged the admitting ER doc saw her and it looked like he'd seen a ghost. She was lucky, most people aren't. There were a few times that my 24hr observation and diligence saved her because I've been in medicine for almost a decade. If not for that she likely would not have made it. If you don't have that kind of support I wouldn't recommend toying with your liver. I wouldn't recommend toying with anything TBH but I just thought I'd give you a healthy dose of reality before you take your next toxic hepatic dose of ETOH and painkillers.

Wishing you all the best. I hope you and your loved ones never have to go through what I just described. I'm not just posting this for you, but for everyone who reads it taking the liver lightly. Don't. You need it to live and it's failure will affect other organs you also need to live. Years after we still have to get fibroscans and a few weeks ago she was hospitalized for acute pancreatitis which again almost killed her as an after effect of her ETOH use alone. Don't play, take it from a man who's watched many people leave this world. There's only one life, and although I'm not terribly spiritual I will say that you can see the moment when the life leaves someones eyes. Live long, live healthy, and don't risk your health for an escape. I've never heard anyone on their death bed wish that they had lived less. Go out there and live your life, don't hide behind the drink, or the drug, or whatever your vice. You only get one go at it so make it a good one.

Cheers, I hope this helps you, or at least someone else reading it.

I had no idea mixing apap with alcohol was toxic! BL you are so informative!

I recently found out I have stage 1 cirrhosis due to 30 years of Hep C. Thank goodness I've always preferred drugs to alcohol so I won't miss alcohol much now that it's taboo for me!

OP heed the advice given here. Even if suicidal this sounds like a bad way to go! (I'm not saying that you are suicidal). People on this forum are looking out for your best interest!

Good luck OP.

Paracetamol doesn't tell us what opiate you're taking... Drinking alcohol and acetaminophen is very bad on the liver. You can't do a CWE or something?

I didn't read anywhere that he said he is taking an opiate. Acetaminophen IS actually a pain killer by itself. I know our addict minds hear the word painkiller and automatically assumes something we can get high off of

im pretty sure he means the painkiller acetaminophen.

I didn't read anywhere that he said he is taking an opiate. Acetaminophen IS actually a pain killer by itself. I know our addict minds hear the word painkiller and automatically assumes something we can get high off of

im pretty sure he means the painkiller acetaminophen.
Weird to say painkillers and not be referring to opiates. And please don't assume I'm an addict that's rude asf.

Justtakethat, I wasn't assuming you personally were an addict. I was speaking in general. I said 'OUR addict minds' meaning addicts (myself included), OUR minds automatically think opiate. So chill.

and don't assume when someone makes a post, that it has something or anything to do with you. The world doesn't revolve around you. BL has a huge amount of members that are addicts. I was posting to bluelight, not to you.

I had no idea mixing apap with alcohol was toxic! BL you are so informative!

I recently found out I have stage 1 cirrhosis due to 30 years of Hep C. Thank goodness I've always preferred drugs to alcohol so I won't miss alcohol much now that it's taboo for me!

OP heed the advice given here. Even if suicidal this sounds like a bad way to go! (I'm not saying that you are suicidal). People on this forum are looking out for your best interest!

Good luck OP.
Im not suidical but I don't see much pleasure in life either-so Im not gonna stop whatever makes me happy for the shake of safety. Some risks gotta be taken for my life to be bearable. On the other hand, I would be an idiot if I just ignored debearded's traumatic personal experience and scientific knowledge.

Guys Im not talking about opiates, just regular painkillers. I used to take heroin, but for now Im clean.
Bad use of language maybe? In greek when you say painkiller you mean aspirin, paracematol and stuff like that, but maybe in English it's different.

It's the same with English, it's just this is bluelight so people tend to assume painkillers means opioids where in non drug using communities people would use the word as you did. So no, it's the same in English as in Greek. But drug using communities will make different assumptions than everyone else.

I see, but not even drug users here would think about opiates when we talk about painkillers, and that's cause perscription opiates aren't that widespread here.

I see, but not even drug users here would think about opiates when we talk about painkillers, and that's cause perscription opiates aren't that widespread here.

Fair enough, in that case it is different. In the US where a very large number of bluelighers reside, prescription opioid painkillers are pretty ubiquitous. The situation is similar in several other English speaking western countries.

Point is. For most people here, saying painkillers is going to be interpreted as opioids unless there's some contextual reason not too. Most people here probably aren't going to hear "mixing alcohol and painkillers" and be thinking paracetamol/acetaminophen or ibuprofen.

I wouldn't unless it were specified. I'd be wondering if we were talking about say, oxy vs tramadol vs something else. And Id likely be thinking that whatever painkiller it was might well include paracetamol/acetaminophen in addition to opioids. But I wouldn't be thinking "just " plain old ordinary paracetamol/acetaminophen or aspirin or something.

No matter what though, to answer the question accurately we'd still need to know exactly what painkiller was being asked about. But I wouldn't be surprised that some would be a little confused to learn that no opioid was involved at all.

Cultural differences.