View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Irritated / over active bladder on Magic Mushrooms

galatea

Greenlighter
Hi, I've developed a rather unpleasant problem. I've been taking Mushrooms occasionally (one of my favorite psychodelics) for many years now, but my bladder irritations while tripping gets worse every time.

As soon as the first effects start to kick in, it feels like a real bladder infection (I know the feeling), I have a constant urge to urinate, but even after peeing the same urge is still there. It wasn't like that the first times I took Shrooms, but got more and more uncomfortable each time I took it.

It's really ruining my trips. I've also tried taking spasmolytics (Trospiumchlorid) - the first couple of times it helped, but meanwhile it doesn't help at all. Most of the time only a benzo at the end helps stopping this feeling, and even with that I think I need more than earlier to stop it. It's as if my body has adopted to the spasmolyt AND the benzo just to keep the unpleasant feeling (and I'm not a big fan of benzos and only take it when absolutely needed).

The next day everything is perfectly normal again.

Does anyone have an idea why mushrooms in particular have this effect and what I could try to do against it? I've tried to stop taking it for almost a year to give my body a really long break, drinking a lot, drinking little, more relaxation (although I'm very relaxed with psychedelics anyway, with a good partner and supernice settings) - everything without success.

Maybe from the medical side: Which receptors can be affected, so that I could check if probably another spasmolytic would be more helpful than Trospiumchlorid? I really LOVE mushrooms and it would be super sad not being able to take it anymore. Or anyone else has this effect or a hint what to do about it?

PS: Sorry for bad english, it's not my native language.

I don't think there's anything about mushrooms specifically that would irritate your bladder. Psilocin is just a run-of-the-mill 5HT1A/5HT2A/5HT2C agonist.

I'd wager that it's mostly nocebo - you're worrying about your bladder so much that it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy when you're tripping. I also get that urge to urinate where it feels like you can never quite completely empty your bladder when I'm coming up on ETH-LAD, but as soon as I can focus my mind on non-urine-related activities/conversations that urge is mostly gone.

Hm, I don't think it's just nocebo. The last time I took it I had a pretty long break before and I didn't even thought about it before it started to get unpleasant. And even one time when I took 7 grams and was in a completely out of body state of mind, not knowing who I was or where I was (with a wonderful trip sitter who was my loving focus), my bladder felt like having a cystitis. I don't say that it doesn't has a self-fulfilling part, but I really think it does something weird to my body and it's not only psychological issue.

I have the same problem and some of my friends too. Not as bad as you describe it but yeah it´s there. There is nothing you can do about it and you certainly don´t have a cystis.

My girlfriend has some occasional bladder issues, and she took LSD for the first time a while back. She had the same thing happen, she had to pee frequently and it felt like a bladder infection, and she felt like she had to pee even when she didn't. Except in her case, it also started to hurt badly after the trip was over and towards the end of it. Hoping it doesn't happen again, she loved the trip but it was a price to pay for sure, and during the worst of it she said she doesn't think she can take acid again. Afterwards she said she wants to try again and see if it was a fluke. Weirdly, she doesn't get this effect from mushrooms (although she doesn't care for them much either).

Same thing happens to me when I do shrooms. Constantly think I have to pee, or even worse, I always feel like I've peed my pants or started my period and end up checking constantly or make other people feel my pants for wetness lol

My girlfriend has some occasional bladder issues, and she took LSD for the first time a while back. She had the same thing happen, she had to pee frequently and it felt like a bladder infection, and she felt like she had to pee even when she didn't. Except in her case, it also started to hurt badly after the trip was over and towards the end of it. Hoping it doesn't happen again, she loved the trip but it was a price to pay for sure, and during the worst of it she said she doesn't think she can take acid again.

I have the effect on LSD a little bit, but it doesn't feel so much like an infection and it doesn't bother me so much (just a lot of peeing, but it feels okay afterwards), so obviously (and strangely) it's the other way round for me. It also doesn't really stop when the trip is over, I usually stop the discomfort with a Benzo and go to bed, the next day everything is normal again. So yeah, it's definitely not a cystitis, but a very annoying body reaction.

2CB doesn't have this effect by the way (at least not by now, haven't done it as often as Mushrooms).

I was hoping someone tried a spasmolytic or other medication or found anything else that helped.

Psilocin is just a run-of-the-mill 5HT1A/5HT2A/5HT2C agonist.

I've searched a bit on that and found two studies. My english and medical knowledge is not good enough to fully understand it, but maybe anyone else can tell if this could be of interest? As I understood, many people on psychedelics have at least a more frequent urge to pee and for some it's really unpleasant:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1757-5672.2009.00025.x/abstract

[url]http://ajprenal.physiology.org/content/ajprenal/304/7/F1020.full.pdf

[/URL]

I've searched a bit on that and found two studies. My english and medical knowledge is not good enough to fully understand it, but maybe anyone else can tell if this could be of interest? As I understood, many people on psychedelics have at least a more frequent urge to pee and for some it's really unpleasant:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1757-5672.2009.00025.x/abstract

[url]http://ajprenal.physiology.org/content/ajprenal/304/7/F1020.full.pdf

[/URL]

The psychedelic experience is the result of a drug activating your 5HT2A receptors, which also increases your urge to urinate. However, tryptamines (like Psilocybin/Psilocin) also activate the 5HT1A receptor, which (according to the first paper) has an even more pronounced effect on your bladder, meaning they are generally stronger diuretics than the more 5HT2A-selective phenylethylamines (like 2C-B).

Still, the thing is that a lot of substances have strong diuretic effects, but they don't necessarily make you feel like you have cystitis. Take caffeine, for example: millions of office workers consume massive amounts of coffee each day, yet they do not feel a constant urge to return to the bathroom every 5 minutes because unlike psilocybin, caffeine's diuretic effects aren't compounded by the suggestibility and paranoia that accompany the psychedelic experience.