• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc What would you say counts as a fast heartbeat?

isaaccain

Bluelighter
Mine's 135/bpm right now. It got up to about 200 once (a few months ago), but took some codeine and it calmed me down a bit. Snorted 20mg of methylphenidate so now I just feel nervous. It happens every fucking time, I get my 60 minute high then I think I'm dying for 2 hours. It's just stimulant anxiety I know, but I was wondering what other peoples' hearts feel like when they're on it. I had some discomfort the other day but that was about it. And does anyone else see their heart and the artery in their stomach visibly beating? And I swear the left side of my chest gets bigger, like my heart is enlarged or something.

Also, with a fast heartbeat, I mean dangerously fast, like 200 plus, would codeine be a bad idea? I feel like it would cause some problems with the heart though.

If it bothers you there is always the Divers Reflex. By holding your breath and submerging your face in cold water your heart-rate can drop from 10-25%. You don't have to turn blue either, just 20 seconds or so to effect the trigeminal and vagus nerves..

If it bothers you there is always the Divers Reflex. By holding your breath and submerging your face in cold water your heart-rate can drop from 10-25%. You don't have to turn blue either, just 20 seconds or so to effect the trigeminal and vagus nerves..
That's fucking amazing thank you, how long does it last? Do I have to keep doing it every like 20 minutes?

Tachycardia is usually considered any heart beat that's over the normal maximum rate, so I'd say 100 BPM, but I could also consider a fast heart rate being more than 60/75 BPM at rest depending on the activeness and health of the person in question. Codeine would probably slow your heart rate, working as an opiod, so I probably wouldn't be too concerned about that there, but please be careful.

Now that I think about it, there won't be much research about how long the diving reflex lasts after coming up for air because that's not really that important to know if you're going diving. I suppose it would last as long as it takes for it to come on? Idk, I'll just check my heart rate then go again. I'm less concerned now than I was, since I've got some codeine. I just went about 2 weeks without any but I'll be fine now probably. I think it does work really well because the time I got up to 200 a minute (it was actually 288 a minute) I honestly did feel like I was gonna die, and when I look back I think I would've went into seizure because although I wouldn't know what it feels like before a seizure (since i've never had one) but I think what I felt was it, I went numb in the arms and legs, had pins and needles all over, had a really weird feeling in my head and along my scalp that I get when I look at flashing lights when I'm tired, and was shaking constantly, chewed 60mg of codeine and it faded away after like a minute. I know it was probably psychosomatic but let's be honest it's not normal to feel like that when you felt fine just listening to music on a public bus and now about 30 seconds ago. Also I thought opiates/stims were hard on the heart that's why I said it might be bad to take codeine at the same time, like with speedballs but less severe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diving_reflex

That's a good question about longevity and I don't know how effective it is against drugs that raise HR but it's a place to start and won't cost you anything.

Lasts a few minutes :) But even just regular controlled breathing exercises done consistently are pretty good at lowering HR and BP even on stimulants.

OP: as for codeine, yes you generally want to avoid when your heart's under stimulant stress. It can cause trouble (eg arrhythmias).

However I would suggest that your issue may be as much anxiety/panic as sensitivity of the pacemaker nodes. The safest thing to do would be to lower your dose of stims - it doesn't sound like your experience is particularly enjoyable after the first hour anyway.

If your HR was 288 then it wasn't a normal rhythym. It isn't stimulant anxiety as you say and without you knowing what's going on you don't know if it's a dangerous rhythym or not. Codeine's not going to help, if it does it's hit or miss.

The codeine can cause histamine reactions also.

Continuing usage of methylphenidate in that manner can easily cause a heart attack or stroke.

I'd say irregular is over 140 (when on a fat dose of some good gear). Panic attacks can cause this and anxiety symptoms may lead you to believe it's a heart attack. However, I believe blood pressure is a much more reliable sign of "should I shove these bars down my throat or call an ambulance". If we're talking about measuring a need for an acute medical response.

Long term, iirc, high heart rate is stressful on the heart muscle. My recommendation in that regard is to quit cigarettes/alcohol and do regular cardiovascular activity. If you love stims and want to live, I mean.

Also, with a fast heartbeat, I mean dangerously fast, like 200 plus, would codeine be a bad idea? I feel like it would cause some problems with the heart though.

You need to take your age into account when talking about your heart rate. There is no way to say everyone's heart rate should be XX-XXX as it veries from age group, to fitness level, etc. Check out this article posted by Livestrong.com regarding heart rates of teenagers. Here is a sample of the information:

Values at Rest
The U.S. National Institutes of Health and the American Heart Association report that 60 to 90 beats/minute is normal for teenagers at rest. This range is lower than the normal range for children and higher than that for adults and seniors.
Values During Moderate Exercise
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention explains that your pulse rate during moderate exercise should be 50% to 70% of your maximum pulse rate (which is 220 beats/minute minus your age). Subtract your age from 220 and multiply by 0.5 and 0.7 to find the lower and higher pulse range for moderate exercise. For example, to figure out the pulse rate for a 16-year-old, the equations would look like this: 220 -16 = 204. 204_0.5 = 102 and 204_0.7=142.8. So the range would be 102 to 143 beats/minute with rounding for a 16-year-old.
Values During Intense Exercise
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention explains that your pulse rate during intense exercise should be 70% to 85% of your maximum pulse rate (220 beats/minute). Subtract your age from 220 and multiply by 0.7 and 0.85 to find the lower and higher pulse range for intense exercise. For example, to figure out the pulse rate for a 16-year-old, the equations would look like this: 220 - 16 = 204. 204 0.7 = 142.8. 204 0.85 = 173.4. So the range would be 143 to 173 beats/minute with rounding for a 16-year-old.