View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ketamine bladder/cystitis symptoms from light to moderate use

stringybell

Bluelighter
I discovered the joy of ketamine a few months ago and have been using it a bit since then.

Most of my use happened over the last three months. At least once a weekend, sometimes twice. On two occasions I used for 3-4 days in a row. Usualy around 300mg in a night sometimes a bit more.

I never used in the amounts I see people sometimes describing here 1g or more a day for months. I also have not used ketamine for a very long time. Despite this I have developed some symptoms I’m 99% sure are ketamine bladder/cystitis. Basically I can feel a tightness in my bladder and sometimes a little pain in my bladder and a very faint pain in my penis when I pee.

It’s never too extreme. I took 2 weeks off ketamine and the symptoms were mostly gone. But then I did a little bit more at a party, 2 small lines maximum. And then it came back worse.

Has anyone experienced symptoms like this from such small use? If so, what happened next? Also what would you recommend for treatment?

It goes without saying that I won’t be using ketamine again for a very long time, if ever BUT I’m scared that I might have already done permanent damage.

Has anyone experienced symptoms like this from such small use?
I have similar experience with the closely related drug methoxetamine. I used it once or twice per week for a few months, and developed symptoms like those you describe. I too was surprised when I began to experience negative side effects with relatively moderate consumption. Apparently some people are unfortunately more predisposed to this particular issue than others.

If so, what happened next?
I ceased using the drug, and gradually my symptoms lessened. It's been a few years now, and they have almost entirely disappeared.

Also what would you recommend for treatment?
Oral pentosan polysulfate might be a good place to start (wiki, source 1, source 2).

Wow! I'm partly relieved to hear that the symptoms have gone - you say "almost" entirely disappeared - what do you suffer from still?

I'm also quite concerned to hear that they took years to go away. How severe were they at the beginning?

I would barely describe mine as pain, just mild discomfort.

Last edited:
the worst bladder problems I have had were when I first got O-PCE and was using it daily. After a few days I could not urinate at all when on it. My bladder was tight and everything hurt.

I tried Olive Leaf Extract and it immediatly went away. I took it daily for a while, upping the dose. Charcoal caps are needed because higher doses of OLE can upset your stomach.

Now I only take it after taking dissos frequently when my bladder starts to feel weird.

Wow! I'm partly relieved to hear that the symptoms have gone - you say "almost" entirely disappeared - what do you suffer from still?

Occasional minor twinges of pain in my bladder (~once per month), and perhaps slightly diminished bladder capacity.

I'm also quite concerned to hear that they took years to go away. How severe were they at the beginning?

In the beginning, the painful twinges were more frequent, more like once every couple days. And the reduced bladder capacity was more obvious. I never actually measured my bladder capacity in liters, so I can't say for sure how much that improved.

Some people experience the bladder issues much more readily than others, it seems. I've read of even less use than you describe causing it in some people. The solution is that you shouldn't do ketamine or other arylcyclohexamines if you value your bladder health. Kind of a bummer, but honestly the usage pattern you describe goes beyond light usage. You haven't been doing it for long but if you get into a pattern of using it twice a week and sometimes 3-4 days in a row, that's very troublesome. Most people use it once in a while if they use it. Trust me, as someone who once slowly shifted into a 3-4 times a week pattern with psychedelics, it can seem benign but using a powerful drug that often is way too much. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise that your body is rebelling against ketamine... ever seen people really far gone on dissociatives? It's not pretty.

Occasional minor twinges of pain in my bladder (~once per month), and perhaps slightly diminished bladder capacity.

In the beginning, the painful twinges were more frequent, more like once every couple days. And the reduced bladder capacity was more obvious. I never actually measured my bladder capacity in liters, so I can't say for sure how much that improved.

Interesting. It's been about ten days now and it's actually worse than it was at the beginning - it definitely hasn't improved yet. I'm getting little twinges all around my abdomen, in my bladder and near/in my testicles. It's barely painful but it's still uncomfortable. Should I be worried?

Interestingly I don't think it's affected my urge to urinate or my bladder capacity. Everything seems to be functioning as normal there.

Yeah you should be worried. See my post. Ketamine bladder damage is real.

I have had similar exeoriences with light usage. It was very alarming. It went away each time I stopped usage but would return again when I restarted. Seems it's doing damage and your body is telling u not to use it. Listen to your body

It seems for some people dissociatives are self limiting. Meaning they give you nice warnings. I think people interested should experience them a few times and that is it. But only a few seemed cut out for heavy usage and not go bat shit crazy. And I am astounded at the stories of permanent bladder problems from ketamine.

I was looking for info in cactus as I was going to trip as my life needed some healing. While I am not talking about ketamine, other life issues are helped with some psychedelics. I found this story touching and a great warning. Forgive me if I am not suppose to link another sight here.

https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=48966

Yeah you should be worried. See my post. Ketamine bladder damage is real.

I have ceased using ketamine and absolutely do not plan to use it again.

I guess my question was "should I be worried that I've already done permanent damage?"

I have had similar exeoriences with light usage. It was very alarming. It went away each time I stopped usage but would return again when I restarted. Seems it's doing damage and your body is telling u not to use it. Listen to your body

I'm curious to know more about your experiences.

What were your symptoms exactly and how long did it take them to go away?

I definitely do not plan on using ketamine again but I'm concerned about the possibility of permanent damage or a long period of recovery from here.

Ah I see. I think you'll be fine after some time. The symptoms you described sound like minor issues which should clear up with cessation of use. The people who have serious permanent issues are those who abused it badly, experiencing extreme, debilitating pain frequently for long periods of time due to chronic use.

Cystitis or any permanent fibrosis after moderate use is very unlikely. I'm not sure it's ever been documented before. Norketamine certainly produces this over time and some individuals seem to be more prone than others. However, permanent bladder problems are almost exclusively seen in the heaviest users (often exceeding grams per day for years. Addiction can get that grimy.)

Bladder irritation on the other hand is relatively common after even a month of moderate use. I have experienced difficulty and painful urination after a couple months of weekly use. Abstain use for at least 5-6 months and hydrate well with water. The irritation will heal as long as you do not continue using without a healthy break.

In case it's useful for anyone suffering from similiar symptoms, I thought I'd give a quick update of my situation.

It's now been nearly 4 weeks since I last used ketamine and I am still suffering some symptoms - occasional faint twinges of pain in my abdomen and faint aching in by bladder and sometimes groin. Since the symptoms have stuck around so long it's hard to gauge how much they've improved and how much I've just become accustomed to them but I confident the symptoms are easing. I've had a couple of days where I haven't been aware of any sensations in my abdominal region for many hours at a time. However symptoms did then worsen slightly. I am hoping for a final cessation of symptoms but it seems like this might be a much more gradual process.

I will be taking people's advice and staying off ketamine for at least 6 months. However I am curious to know people's experience taking ketamine again after such a break. Am I at higher risk of retriggering this condition? Or will it be like I am back at square one? If there's an increased risk then I don't think it'll be worth it. Obviously I'm aware that no one can answer that question definitively, however I am interested in people's anecdotal reports.

I don't have personal experience, but... my guess is you'll be at increased risk because you've aggravated it before. It seems like perhaps you're one of the unlucky ones who is particularly prone to issues from ketamine. I've known people who have done shit tons of it for years and not had any issues, and I've read of accounts online where people felt pains after just a few times.

Ive used alot of ketamine over the years.. at one point i was using about 25g or more a week.

I have suffered with my bladder. Alot.

Having said that it does always go away a couple days after I stop taking it, so if after 4 weeks youre still suffering with symptoms I doubt that it was the ketamines fault. I would advise you go and see your doctor and get a urine test to check for infections and sti's, you dont need to tell them that you took k if you dont want to.

^^ Some people seem to experience permanent or semi-permanent damage from heavy ketamine use, I'd say you're lucky it's always faded after a couple of days when using 25g per week.

But yeah it would be good to check for other issues that you might assume are from ketamine use, to rule them out or find out that it's not the ketamine. Didn't think of that.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I went to a urologist originally and he did an ultrasound of my kidneys and bladder and found them to be healthy. He then misdiagnosed me with a hernia - I know this because I was skeptical and subsequently got a second opinion from another Doctor.

The second doctor gave me urine and blood tests and found that there was "nothing wrong with me". I told him everything about the ketamine use and he said that it could possibly be the cause and that it's likely an inflammation related to ketamine use. He also said it could be a psychosomatic.

His advice was to wait it out and return if it hadn't mostly improved in a few weeks.

Cystitis or any permanent fibrosis after moderate use is very unlikely. I'm not sure it's ever been documented before. Norketamine certainly produces this over time and some individuals seem to be more prone than others. However, permanent bladder problems are almost exclusively seen in the heaviest users (often exceeding grams per day for years. Addiction can get that grimy.)

Bladder irritation on the other hand is relatively common after even a month of moderate use. I have experienced difficulty and painful urination after a couple months of weekly use. Abstain use for at least 5-6 months and hydrate well with water. The irritation will heal as long as you do not continue using without a healthy break.

Following up on this, it's now been three months since I've used ketamine (with the exception of one relatievely small line done six weeks ago accidentally - I was told it was coke).

Up until about 10 days ago I was beginning to believe that the final symptoms of my initial ketamine binge had well and truly disappeared. However, they seemed to have reappeared again. They're not as bad as they were and are not interfering with my life in any way but they're noticeable enough to cause alarm. Basically I can feel a slight pressure in my bladder area and a very faint burning when I pee.

Is this cause for concern, should I go and see a doctor again? I have been doing a fair amount of other drugs, particularly coke and MDMA. Has this drug use combined and associated lifestyle potentially triggered the condition back? If so, is this something I'll have to deal with forever or is is just that I need to give my body a serious period of recovery before I party in that way?