• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Need advice for coming off of Suboxone

Chefmick

Greenlighter
I might have to stop going to my Suboxone program for financial reasons.. I have been saving some to do a taper if this happens.. I also have been stockpiling the following for withdrawal symptems.. 50mg Tramadol,150MG Lyrica,800MG Gabapentin and Imodium.. I also take plenty of vitamins.. I'm curious if I can use the Tramadol to relieve withdrwals from Suboxone...also should I use both the Lyrica and Gabapentin ..last question is how much Imodium should I take.. I forgot to add that I also have Flexeril and some Ativan.. I'm really nervous about detoxing.. this isn't my first time going through withdrawal but I never had a supply or access to comfort meds.. I just need some help figuring this out.. Thanks in advance..

first off - how long have you been taking subs mate? and at what dosage too?

Taper down as low as possible, and i mean like .01mg if possible, even if its more rapid then ideal (sounds like you don't have a ton of accsess to more subs at this point). I switched to Kratom for several weeks from a .01mg dose of suboxone, the kratom kind of tapered itself because I don't love the taste, and would skip doses out of avoidance of the taste (ive come to tolerate it better these days, but hated it when I first jumped). The w.d was pretty laughable when I finally ceased daily use of the kratom.

I've been taking them about 6 months at 12MG the whole time.. I will be able to taper a little bit because I have some saved for that purpose .. Also I was on them for ten years and came off in 2013 cold turkey.. it was a horror show..just wanted to give you a little history on my usage..

I don't think that Kratom is an option for me.. I have to use what I have access to through my insurance..

12mgs? do you have any subs left? if so, as tikhil has already said, a taper is the first thing you need to start on
what can your insurance provide as to other meds?

My insurance provides Lyrica,Tramadol and vistiril through another DR who has know idea I have been on a sub program..I also have about 200 Gabapentin saved . I have 180 Tramadol 50MG saved and get 90 a month.. with the Lyrica I get 90 150MG a month.. It will be a really quick taper.. my main concern is if the Tramadol will help and should I use both the Lyrica and gabapentin..

well, the tramadol being an opioid could be used to taper down but that should really be done with the subs, do you have any of those saved?
- i know from research on BL and personal experience that gabapentin is fantastic for withdrawal symptoms - and as Lyrica (pregabalin) is the same as gabapentin except stronger that should help too.
i found 600mgs of gabapentin did wonders for wd'ing from a .4 a day heroin habit, so def keep hold of those.

Is a real, medical detox at a hospital too costly? And Tramadol could be risky as you might be sensitive to seizures when going off bupe. (Yes, I know that seizures aren't included in normal bupe WD, according to "facts", but I have seen it happen IRL with my own eyes). Doesn't your insurance cover

Could you get your hands on diazepam or clonazepam? They are better than gabapenting/pregabalin for this purpose, ime.

whilst i agree that seizures are a possibility with opiate wd, they are really quite rare, no?
but still, yeah some sort of benzo would be a good addition to your detox arsenal! :)

Man with the meds you have access to you will have as painless of a detox as possible.

About 8 months ago I came off of sub's cold turkey in jail so I know the pain. Luckily I found someone prescribed tramadol in there after 3 weeks of cold turkey and when I started taking those the relief was astronomical.

Lyrica is the best thing for detox period! Gabapentin is great too. You will pretty much feel 100% with all those meds but like others have said, taper as much as possible while you can an maybe use some gabapentin while you taper down.

You could probably jump straight to 8 mg right away but if not definitely straight to 10 mg.

I have a ton of experience with sub's and tapering them after being on them for about 6 years straight.

Let m know if you have any more questions.

I hear you regarding insurance coverage, but will note that Kratom is extreamly inexpensive compared to even co-pays for scripts on many insurance plans.

I agree with drugomen regarding a jump strait to 8, it would be a tough week or so without comfort meds, but with your arsenal I would think itll be easily tolerable. My experience has been that when one has the self control to really run a good taper, they can avoid the nightmare sub withdrawal pretty well. I've only kicked from subs once, but have worked with many friends going through the same process. Many could not taper, just seemed psychological incapable of limiting use, or tolerating any w/d distress. THose who could handle it ended up with 70-90% less severe symtoms (as rated by somewhat flawed clinical tools) then those who CT off doses higher then 1mg. Comfort meds help IME, but not nearly as much as a few weeks normalizing at low doses.

I forgot to add that a script for clonidine to be used at night and some good weed would be the only things I would add for a more comfortable experience. It wont be bad regardless though with the other meds you have though.

I think I would have a better chance at being comfortable doing this from my home with the meds I have.. I have detoxed from other opiates both in a detox and on my own but never with this arsenal of comfort meds. The questions I have are because I am only now becoming familiar with some of these meds for detox..

DrugOmen.. Thanks for the suggestions .. after reading all of these responses I'm a little more confident this won't be the horror show I'm expecting.. lol...I'm just not familiar with detoxing using most of these meds.. I'm sure I'll have some more questions for you as time goes on...

Today is Monday the 18th and I'll find out this afternoon if I am still on the program. today I only took 4MG so lets see how the day goes.. wish me luck!!

Not sure where my reply went so if you get this twice.. I hit reply but my long winded comments disappeared?? Anyway, Gabapentin, Tramadol and any other receptor altering drugs will NOT be a good decision if you are interested in detoxing off of Suboxone. I have been on Suboxone for 10 years so I have some experience here too and my DOC that got me on Sub was TRAMADOL. To those that have commented..of course Tramadol will allow you to feel better..it is a full agonist NARCOTIC that will bind to your receptors and allow those nasty withdrawals to greatly reduce if not go away all together. But I guarantee you when you if you continue to take those Tramadols you have about as narly and dirty a withdrawal experience as the Sub - you are only delaying your body from cleaning those receptors and learning to fill on their own.

Gabapentin is one of the most mis prescribed, mis understood and most dangerous drug on the planet BECAUSE so many claim it is non addictive. REHABs prescribe it by the buckets but the withdrawal on that will make Suboxone look like a picnic. If you are one that has found it to be a miracle..of course ..you are still on it..no miracle at all. You just traded one bad ass drug for another. You are no cleaner or more ahead of the withdrawal as taking tramadol and worse for it. You will not only have Sub withdrwals doing cartwheels and push ups while you are masking those receptors but now have the Gaba (benzo like) receptors all juiced to put you through more hell once you stop the Gaba.

Noone can say how long it takes for Gaba to take hold. Those folk's that say you only need to be on it a few days..how is that working out for you? That one on here in jail..are you still on Tramadol? Are you still on Gaba or worse back on Sub? I havent heard or read too many stories where they actually ahve been successful detoxing off of sub and now clean without anything?

If you dont fee much on Gaba its because a) you probably are still on Sub or another narcotic/benzo carrying the load on your receptors or you have been on Gaba so long you are tolerant. Etiher way..I guarantee you will feel the difference stopping.

It angers me people foolishly claim Tramadol or Gaba is a miracle..when they are still in bondage still using one or the other or both?

I recommend tapering if that suits you however to me, the best thing you can do is go to AA or NA, ask God for His grace/help and jump. Embrace the reality you will experience the withdrwal but you will be allowing your body to clense and repair..not mask. I believe that can only reduce the longevity..otherwise you will be delaying and prolonging the inevitable..