View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Magic Mushrooms And Its healing benefits with Mental Illness

Kratom777

Bluelighter
Does anyone know how many times a person on average would have to trip on shrooms in order for it to improve their mental health. I was using them once a week and it seems to be improving but got a bad batch and no longer have any? Does anyone here use them for major depressive disorder or PTSD? There are a number of studies out there that say there is some promising evidence that shows mushrooms can help those overcoming fear and trauma. Therapy only helps so much and meds now a days are horrible. Tried over 20 meds, they all suck. Klonopin is the only one I like for anxiety. I am really would like to see what other users have to say about this. I highly appreciate ANY insight you all have.

Last edited:
In my understanding PTSD is more of a consequence of a tragic event/events that were forced into the psyche, thus causing general lasting mental disturbances. In that case in my opinion and opinions of many psychiatrists, MDMA would be of a biggest help, as it helps to gently reveal your hidden "shadow" self so you can work with it. Ideally working with a friend psychologist who is ok with using psychoactives like MDMA and psychedelics, would be just what you need with PTSD.

On the other hand, if you are simply feeling depressed, low energy, low motivation and anxiety (LOTS of people do nowadays) - it might be due to a general bad "spiritual hygiene" and lack of exercise, poor diet, abuse of GABAergic, opioid and stimulant drugs.

Anxiety, depression and all of these symptoms are there for you to show that there is something unbalanced in your life and it demands your direct attention. Whatever that might be, it is mostly up to you to uncover.

My advice would be to not to rely on drugs at all, and rather understand their purpose of being tools for your own self-discovery and understanding. You can certainly use psychedelics to help you see more but beware of a danger of reality substitution if you do it too often. Also I recommend to learn how to positively connect with people and make friends - this alone will boost your self-esteem levels.

As for shrooms and dosage - I would recommend occasional deep trips (3g+) with prior meditation, mind focusing and setting a positive analytical vibe. Alternatively some people had success microdosing mushrooms - in that case I recommend to pulverize dried product, mix thoroughly and prepare capsules for further easy and somewhat consistent dosing.

All in all, we are all on our own Way. Each one of us, I'm sure, struggles a lot in order to understand ourselves and feel happy.

I hope you find what you're looking for! :)

As for shrooms and dosage - I would recommend occasional deep trips (3g+) with prior meditation, mind focusing and setting a positive analytical vibe. Alternatively some people had success microdosing mushrooms - in that case I recommend to pulverize dried product, mix thoroughly and prepare capsules for further easy and somewhat consistent dosing.

All in all, we are all on our own Way. Each one of us, I'm sure, struggles a lot in order to understand ourselves and feel happy.

I hope you find what you're looking for! :)

Yeah do you think DMT or LSD would be more useful than shrooms for this purpose?

After years of self-experimentation with antagonists for depression, I must sadly conclude that they are only symptom relief. They're not a cure.

To really get at the root of mental health you have to figure out at what point you became dissociated from your embodied human experience. It usually happens before age 1. That or diet and proper fitness, which look different for each person.

healing involves the psychedelic drug only in so far as the drug lets you establish a deeply confident and gentle way of being that accommodates the traumatic memory as well as beauty in life.
The beauty and power in your core get center stage, and the blocks are removed.
Nothing is forgotten, but the power of trauma is reduced by what comes out of the sessions which connect to positive aspects of family, and or good work.

Yeah do you think DMT or LSD would be more useful than shrooms for this purpose?
Ayahuasca (/oral DMT) is very much like mushrooms' big brother and has the potential to help you a lot with just one session.

However, all people react differently to different drugs in different dosages.

(Smoked) DMT is likely to be a big fireworks show that may lack the introspective nature of an ayahuasca trip.

Personally, I only get a big mindfuck from LSD, without much benefit, but many others find it useful.

healing involves the psychedelic drug only in so far as the drug lets you establish a deeply confident and gentle way of being that accommodates the traumatic memory as well as beauty in life.
The beauty and power in your core get center stage, and the blocks are removed.
Nothing is forgotten, but the power of trauma is reduced by what comes out of the sessions which connect to positive aspects of family, and or good work.

Well said. However, I don't think psychedelic therapy is for everyone, like dissociative types. If you dissociated from your body at an early age and went into your mind, or worse into the spiritual ether, I think psychedelics can unfortunately propel you further out into orbit instead of re-embodying you.

It's very difficult to tell the difference between genuine actualization and spiritual bypassing when you're high. The risk of further delusion is great.

Ayahuasca (/oral DMT) is very much like mushrooms' big brother and has the potential to help you a lot with just one session.

However, all people react differently to different drugs in different dosages.

(Smoked) DMT is likely to be a big fireworks show that may lack the introspective nature of an ayahuasca trip.

Personally, I only get a big mindfuck from LSD, without much benefit, but many others find it useful.

I have thought about going to one of these spiritual retreats and taking ayahuasca. I saw there were a few in the states and all the rest are in south america mostly Peru. I have heard horror stories about some of the retreats though, so I am hesitate to jump into it.

What you think? Do you have any experience with ayahuasca? Maybe I just should just stick to shrooms at higher doses and it will resemble some of the same effects of ayahuasca.

Well said. However, I don't think psychedelic therapy is for everyone, like dissociative types. If you dissociated from your body at an early age and went into your mind, or worse into the spiritual ether, I think psychedelics can unfortunately propel you further out into orbit instead of re-embodying you.

It's very difficult to tell the difference between genuine actualization and spiritual bypassing when you're high. The risk of further delusion is great.

Yeah but for someone like me tripping maybe 4-5 times a year would be a good thing. I heard of micro-dosing but I don't think it is as good as having a few really good trips. I could be wrong. I am not necessarily an expert but know a little and I know for me, mushrooms have some real healing potential.

I don't think mushrooms are particularly special in terms of 'healing' just the way things are and for various more directed research has been done on psilocybin than other psychedelics (obviously LSD did get a lot of study) and suspect in certain situations other psychedelics are quite likely going to prove better. Along with Ayahuasca and others Ibogaine is an interesting case. Either way as has been pointed out in some cases they can be helpful but that is highly dependant on other factors and really it is about doing real therapeutic hard work.
I don't know about meds being horrible "now a days" ...have you tried them in a past life? :) Blood letting and beating the demons out wasn't that good. Yes there are questions over many meds and there use (and they hopeful improve with time) but they can be very useful for the really ill - yes lots of people will say they suck but I think many drug users in particular are expecting uncomplicated euphoria or a panacea from psychiatric drugs - yes of course benzos are fun and hide a problem but essentially cure nothing...there's a serious point here; any long term improvements need a reasonable understanding of emotional life and some acceptance of it problems...mushrooms in themselves certainly are no cure for depression long term and can even at worst make mental health worse (my experience is the exact opposite of Vegans re LSD v psilocybin)- wisely used psychedelic drugs can provide insights that are helpful to improving ones life and mental state but that takes a lot of work in the real world for want of a better word and much of this work is probably best undertaken before tripping is considered. The best use of psychedelic is unclear; without the correct sort of supervision is quite possibly not going to get the best result although obviously in the real world that is the only sort really available - the 'promising studies’ are still in there infancy, not without criticism and such studies exist for the medical drugs you hate - 'studies' are tricky things to assess. I wish you luck only pointing out the reality of dealing with personal issues is complex - as for how often some therapist in some contexts only used psychedelics ONCE in the context of a lot of non drug work. Never heard of any serious therapist suggest weekly or similar use - that mainly came from people like Leary who were basically off on an endless party. How effective therapy is depends on many things including where the type of therapy, yhe practitioner, where the client is and how able they are to use the work

I have thought about going to one of these spiritual retreats and taking ayahuasca. I saw there were a few in the states and all the rest are in south america mostly Peru. I have heard horror stories about some of the retreats though, so I am hesitate to jump into it.

What you think? Do you have any experience with ayahuasca? Maybe I just should just stick to shrooms at higher doses and it will resemble some of the same effects of ayahuasca.
Hi
Before anything, I need to restate that people react differently to different drugs at different dosages.

I'm alive today because of ayahuasca. I was suicidal for the ten years leading to my first experience and I don't think I would have held much longer.
My first ayahuasca experience just wiped the slate clean. I was pretty much reborn out of my depression.

This was not a life-long cure; problems tend to reappear, but it certainly allowed for the reset needed.

I was not expecting any healing effects from it and was totally taken by surprise. So I don't know whether going in with too many expectations would be a handicap or no.
I've had many more experiences since, and most have been amazing, but they haven't had the healing power of the first one.

High doses of mushrooms certainly have the potential to help, but if it doesn't work, an ayahuasca session might do the job.

I've always taken it on my own and it has only worked marvels. To each her/his own, but I'm really glad that I've never taken it with a group. You don't need to join a retreat to get ayahuasca, you can prepare it on your own.

On another note, among the meds you've had, have you tried lithium?

Yeah but for someone like me tripping maybe 4-5 times a year would be a good thing. I heard of micro-dosing but I don't think it is as good as having a few really good trips. I could be wrong. I am not necessarily an expert but know a little and I know for me, mushrooms have some real healing potential.

Mushrooms have the same anti-depressive effect that ketamine does, via NMDA antagonism. I did a lengthy self-experiment with it. A lot of people report relief from doing mushrooms periodically, and I think it's certainly better than taking shitty SSRIs. It sounds like you're doing it responsibly, if all you're doing is 4-5 times per year. I guess my concern is psychedelic users who dose frequently, chasing the elevated consciousness, and claiming their depression is resolved.

There's still a lot of human-level shit we need to work out that simply getting high isn't going to fix. But!... NMDA antagonism is certainly great for symptom relief.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how many times a person on average would have to trip on shrooms in order for it to improve their mental health. I was using them once a week and it seems to be improving . . .

I know a lot of your questions have been answered already in this thread, but it seems as if you should shift your focus to something less quantitative and more qualitative. I doubt there is a set or average amount of trips one would need to have in order to glean the results you're looking for; anyone can take psychedelics weekly or semi-weekly and accomplish little more than seeing pretty shit behind your eyelids. Personally, I've gotten long-range interpersonal results (the best trips are the ones that go on for the rest of your life -- which isn't to say you're suffering HPPD symptoms for the rest of your life) by limiting the mindset and making it something extraordinary when I do take these substances. It's much easier to integrate the lessons from a trip when you aren't constantly diving back in, and instead treating each experience as a total opportunity for rejuvenation and rehabilitation. I'm not saying you're "tripping wrong," but I seriously think you could make headway with one or two focused and deep sessions rather than doing it consistently.

Just a few thoughts, nothing to see here, back to your regularly scheduled thread . . .

Yeah I just got some new shrooms. The caps are huge. Insane. Only got 4 grams. It probably is better to just stock up for a few years, if they can be saved that long. Maybe like 1 oz.

Yeah shrooms do have some awesome mental benefits. They change your perception. That's why when tripping in a good mood and setting is key. Most of us know this.

Anyone ever trip in the forest? I usually stay in my room and meditate. Some people swear by tripping out in nature.

By the way, I tried LSD for the first time. I didn't like it compared to shrooms. It is way too stimulating.

Mushrooms have the same anti-depressive effect that ketamine does, via NMDA antagonism. I did a lengthy self-experiment with it. A lot of people report relief from doing mushrooms periodically, and I think it's certainly better than taking shitty SSRIs. It sounds like you're doing it responsibly, if all you're doing is 4-5 times per year. I guess my concern is psychedelic users who dose frequently, chasing the elevated consciousness, and claiming their depression is resolved.

There's still a lot of human-level shit we need to work out that simply getting high isn't going to fix. But!... NMDA antagonism is certainly great for symptom relief.

I didn't know about that comparison of mushrooms to ketamine affecting the NMDA receptors. That is awesome! I was going to try ketamine. Maybe I shouldn't now.

Yes, I know you need to work on yourself and your own problems in real life too. I think shrooms do offer some great benefits though! Thank you for your positive advice!

I'm not saying you're "tripping wrong," but I seriously think you could make headway with one or two focused and deep sessions rather than doing it consistently.

Just a few thoughts, nothing to see here, back to your regularly scheduled thread . . .

Yeah I wasn't just talking about necessarily tripping but also the idea of micro-dosing which seems to have some research behind it.

I personally am thinking that 4-6 really good trips of good doses, 4-7 grams a year in the right setting will help a person grow emotionally and spiritually.

That is the information I have now gathered over the past month, also with some great responses from blue lighters.

Thanks everyone from your advice and deep words of thought.

Last edited:
I don't think mushrooms are particularly special in terms of 'healing' just the way things are and for various more directed research has been done on psilocybin than other psychedelics (obviously LSD did get a lot of study) and suspect in certain situations other psychedelics are quite likely going to prove better. Along with Ayahuasca and others Ibogaine is an interesting case. Either way as has been pointed out in some cases they can be helpful but that is highly dependant on other factors and really it is about doing real therapeutic hard work.

Yes, I have tried many med's. Most do not help depression as we hoped they do. I have also discussed this matter with many psychiatrists (who were being honest) and other physicians. No, I am not a physician myself but have more background and experience than the average person. SSRI'S eventually crap out. I have tried over 15 SSRI's + SNRI's, 4 Mood Stabilizers, and 5 Anti-anxiety Medications. Now you might say, that it is just me who doesn't respond well to these medications. I don't believe this to be true at all. While I may agree, some work but they don't treat depression the way these pharma companies say they do. Like I said, they eventually crap out or can cause horrible w/d's. Many people are unaware about the w/d's caused by SSRI's until they have been on them for a while. Even tampering off can cause problems. It sucked and took me almost 3 years to come back from it. Big pharma is a billion dollar industry and along with the marketing strategies, you can just guess how they blow things out of proportion.

The best I found that do work were those for mood, off label like gabapentin and lyrica. I get prescribed lyrica and it can help with mood but the FDA does not prescribe it for such. A few SSRI's helped for a few months than crapped out later. The anti-anxiety meds like Xanax and Klonopin are great for periods of high anxiety and panic but can not be used everyday.

I guess in some ways, you do have a good argument saying shrooms can't solve it all. Yes, I think you need to try and keep trying when trying to help yourself and live positively.

I am in therapy and this therapist has been using cognitive behavioral therapy and autogenic training as well as just plain talk therapy. They use both techniques. It does help some.