• NMI Moderators: Snafu in the Void

Adjustment Disorder with Anxiety

merseyside8

Bluelighter
Hello, I'm a new member. I've posted on here before. I had a life episode that I went through and am talking to a therapist and went to a psychiatrist. They put me on Lexapro and Hydroxyzine as needed. My psychiatrist diagnosed me with this and said it's a short term issue as long as "i do my part"
Does anybody here have any experience with this or know anything about this? Tired of looking at WebMD.

Hi,

I am sorry that you are suffering with a life challenge and hope you feel better soon. I am a psychotherapist with 20+ years of experience with mental disorders of all kinds, including knowledge about psychiatric drugs. I am not a medical doctor, but I will tell you what I know. Adjustment Disorder with Anxiety is a diagnosis that is given to someone who is adjusting to some life event and is suffering from anxiety because of it. Lexapro is a good SSRI (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor) antidepressant and is used for depression that meets a number of specific criteria and/or generalized anxiety disorder. When someone has a generalized anxiety disorder (they have severe anxiety that interferes with daily living). Hydroxyzine is an antihistamine that is used to treat anxiety, nausea, vomiting, etc. Do you feel depressed and/or have that kind of severe anxiety? Just wondering, since you can go through some pretty bad life experiences and not be clinically depressed and/or have GAD. No one wants to be on an antidepressant if they do not truly need it. Taking hydroxyzine as needed is fine if you experience anxiety intermittently. I trust that the psychiatrist feels that you really need the antidepressant or would not have prescribed it. However, often, adjustment reactions to life events are short lived and with the help of a psychotherapist/psychiatrist and some anti-anxiety meds (like hydroxyzine) used just when needed, and not everyday, are all that are needed until an adjustment to the life event has been worked through with professional help and intermittent anxiety meds like you were given. If you really do not know why you were prescribed these two medications, I would ask your psychiatrist his rationale for prescribing them to you. You should know that.

Well thankfully i never dealt with depression and never had anxiety ever in my life. This is all new to me and learning as i go as im sure thats how everyone has dealt with it. Lexapro was hard the first couple days but i think it kicked in pretty quick as i think its working. So now im getting anxiety from not having it which is tough. Hydroxyzine helps me sleep at night and it SOMETIMES helps with the anxiety if it becomes severe. Im assuming the lexapro is used for anxiety.

Hi,

I want to understand where you are now. You say the Lexapro kicked in pretty quickly and think it is working, but you are having anxiety now because the medication worked on your anxiety. Is that right? If this is the case, you should talk with your psychiatrist about this. In addition, I hope you are seeing someone for psychotherapy to help work through the causes of your continuing anxiety. Yes, Lexapro is used for depression and/or Generalized Anxiety Disorder.