Best era for metal?

swilow

Sr. Moderator: AADD, CE&P, TD
Staff member
So, Whaddya think?

Most people say the 80s, but I'd have to say the 90s, at least in Scandinavia. We had the black metal scene exploding and the Gothenburg death metal scene. Of course, the tragedy that is/was nu-metal arose then too. :|

The 70s were awesome also, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Motorhead, etc.

I mean, the 80s were and are fantastic. Every genre we born then but I got into metal in 95 and was really captivated by the Norwegian black metsl scene. I even wore a Trenchcoat and army pants, spikes and stuff. :D

Thoughts? Favorite bands of particular eras? I still love bands like Burzum, Darkthrone, Immortal, etc. Black metal has never been better than its real coming of age in the 90s.

That's a complicated question ;). While I do love the greats of 60s metal, my love of the genre really came to the fore once punk rock and underground metal spawned during the 90's and forward. Bands like Sleep, Converge, Eyehategod, Today is the Day...these guys crystallized what was great and dangerous about both punk and metal. So I think the last two+ decades win my vote.

But I still genuflect at the altar of the almighty Sabbath.

I would say the 80's....I mean ride the lightning, master of puppets and peace sells but who's buying all in one few year span? Unbeatable. I LOVE the first four sabbath albums but they are like prog riff driven music with jazz drumming.

The 70's are great. I like the precursor late 60's and the 70's. Deep Purple, Rainbow , Priest etc,

Last edited:
90s. Pantera (my favorite band of all time), best death metal era IMO (Suffocation, Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel, At the Gates, Nile, Cryptosy etc etc etc.) Immortal (favorite black metal band as I dislike openly satanic lyrics) also tons of (most of the best) stoner doom and stoner rock.

90s were simultaneously the best and worst era of metal.

Though if you consider glam metal metal then 80s had some real stinkers too.

late 80s and early 90s, with Megadeth and Slayer and Metallica, Pantera, etc.

Definitely the black metal in the 90's; Emperor, Immortal, Marduk, Dark Funeral, Burzum, Enslaved, Mayhem, Gorgoroth...I could go on for quite a while. These are all either Swedish or Norwegian. Yeah, the Scandinavian black metal in the 90's basically. I don't really listen to mew black metal at all.

Albums like these, classic black metal albums,I don't really need any new stuff, old is gold;

Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse
Burzum - Filosofem
Immortal - Pure Holocaust
Enslaved - Frost and Eld
Mayhem- De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Marduk - Heaven Shall Burn... When We Are Gathered
Dark Funeral - The Secrets Of The Black Arts
Gorgoroth - Antichrist

Last edited:
^Excellent selections there :)

If you want some newer black metal that's worth a look, check out Deathspell Omega (specifically Paracletus and Kenose), Blut aus Nord (almost any album), Drudkh (Autumn Aurora, Anti-Urban), Alcest (any album except Shelter). I don't get into much black metal anymore, but there are some awesome albums still coming out.

Also, Marduk, Enslaved, and even Dark Funeral have released some awesome shit recently.

Depending on which genre. Viking/pagan/folk metal had a good time in 21st century but nothing particularly impressive coming after 2013/2014. But 80s is definitely the best!