• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Is this unethical?

If you decide to stick with your current doc, when is your next appointment? I think you should be having a med check monthly, at the very least.

If you start the taper via this doctor's method - I would call the doc if you feel bad - describe the symptoms and say you need to come in or at least return your call and advise you. I'd do this EVERY time you feel really bad---don't call several times per day, but so call daily if you're feeling horrible.

Sometimes doctors will go with another strategy after they hear your negative symptoms, etc. just be assertive but not rude...but describe your symptoms and ask what can be done.

I DO think it's important to follow the doc's taper instructions. Call if you feel bad, describe symptoms, ask what can be done as you need help. Don't call and say you felt like crap so you took more than instructed.

Ive never done a benzo taper .... I hope this helps. Most docs want their patients to feel well. And if their med regimen is not working...it's their job to change it. My psychiatrist is very responsive when I describe specifically what my symptoms are and then he makes a med decision and we discuss it.

Keep us posted. Thinking of you. xo
That's a good idea. The squeaky wheel does generally get the grease.

My experience with inpatient was that the main focus was detox and they were pretty serious about doing a medical detox.

^^How would you describe the experience? Were they knowledgeable and professional? Where you kept comfortable? Attended to in a way you felt safe? There are mixed experiences. I'm interested to hear your experience.

I've been taking 2mgs of zanax daily for about 7 years now and my new dr wants me to taper off. Right now down to 1.5mgs then in 5 days down to 1 mg. I feel this is way too fast and am furious but she thinks it's safe. I think it's a going to give me a lot of unneeded symptoms. What do you guys think? I think I may try find a new dr or psychiatrist that doesn't hate benzos.

That is both dangedous and stupid. I take mg a day for 3 or so years strait and i wouldn't feel safe with out fulltime on call medical supporf. Taper m5mg per month at least!!!!!

Update... I went down to 1mg and just drank more last month. Now I've quit drinking and this is the 6th day sober. I'm experiencing most of the classic benzo withdrawal symptoms aside from hallucinations and seizures. I had to go to the store 2 days ago and had to leave because of my anxiety and shaking. As it is I should be out of alcohol withdrawal territory by now but I think the cut in benzos is what's causing this. I don't know what I'm going to do because I can't even function. Haven't showered in at least a week because I don't feel like falling and smashing my head in the tub. I don't really know what I'm gonna do. My doctor probably isn't going to be any help because she's a dumbass that doesn't know anything about benzos and afaik there isn't a rehab for benzo addiction. I don't care about getting messed up anymore but it would be nice to be able to function.

You will gradually get better. It took about 6 months for my symptoms to completely subside. But it gets significantly better after a month.

Though o couldn't imagine having to actually function for those few months. I just stayed in my room the whole time. Slept during the day because I was terrified of the dark. After awhile I forgot I was even withdrawing just thought I was losing my mind.

I don't know how it is where you live, but in Florida, benzo withdrawal is the only withdrawal for which a detox center will make room for you given it's dangers. Even for alcohol withdrawal I've been told, "we don't have any beds; don't stop cold turkey and call us back tomorrow to see if we have any beds." Every time I've been to detox for alcohol and benzos I've been tapered off with Librium or Valium. If you can afford the time away from your regularly scheduled life a medical detox for 7-10 days is something to think about.

There's plenty of options for detox of alcohol here but zero for benzos afaik.

Gabapentin or Lyrica esp Lyrica DO NOT DO IT !!!!! worst withdrawals EVER ....oxys valium even high dose heroin is much easier...trust me on this !!

What about a seizure medication?
They will make you less likely to seize but they won't help the other symptoms. My doctor prescribed me remeron. It helped a little bit with the anxiety. I've withdrawn from gabapentin it wasn't pleasant but it wasn't benzo withdrawal. I frankly can't think of anything worse then benzo withdrawal. Where you able to taper at all nutty? If not go to a hospital they will admit you and do a brief taper and at the very least be ready with an Ativan shot if you seize.

I went from 2mgs a day to 1. I don't know if that's considered a taper. I don't think I'm going to seize but these symptoms suck and are preventing me from doing things I need to do. Oh yeah, I'm also pissing out my asshole. I can't go back to the hospital, I've already been in the ER over the last year way too many times (alcohol related). Even if I did I'd only be there a few days and then back out with the same problem I'm facing now. I need something long term to help manage these symptoms so I can function in every day life.

I went from 2mgs a day to 1. I don't know if that's considered a taper. I don't think I'm going to seize but these symptoms suck and are preventing me from doing things I need to do. Oh yeah, I'm also pissing out my asshole. I can't go back to the hospital, I've already been in the ER over the last year way too many times (alcohol related). Even if I did I'd only be there a few days and then back out with the same problem I'm facing now. I need something long term to help manage these symptoms so I can function in every day life.
I understand. Yeah that's not much of a taper at all your doctor is an idiot or an asshole maybe both. Unfortunately it's not like opiates where there are lots of drugs to manage the symptoms. I ran into the same problem when I withdrew from benzos also if you where dependant on alcohol it's likely your experiencing kindling from the damage already done to the gabapentin system. Like I said before gabapentin is likely your best bet. Most docs don't think it's abusable and it has lots of off label uses.

Since there are options for alcohol detox in your area maybe just showing up and telling them you're coming off both alcohol and benzos might at least get you in door. Like CJ said, there isn't much to manage the symptoms except using other benzos with long half lives like Librium or Valium.

Last edited:
They probably wouldn't treat me since I'm not technically withdrawaling and I haven't drank in 8 days. The one detox here uses librium and depakote so it would be pretty pointless. They don't keep you longer than 5 days. Either way I got another appointment tomorrow. I seriously hope my new doctor figures out something so I can feel better. I don't have a good first impression.

I mean, there are lots of meds that can be used to ease the transition off benzos and alcohol, but it can be really difficult to find a doctor who knows what they are let alone how to use them, particularly on an outpatient basis.

All things considered, you have a pretty stellar attitude about all this nutty. As hard as it must be, it sounds like you are headed in the right direction. Do you have any thoughts about longer term support in terms of stay off the booze? Getting off benzos is very challenging for anyone, but given what I know of your history it seems like keeping off the booze long term is going to be your biggest challange.

Perhaps you can find someone to give you naltrexone? I’m not a big fan of that medication but I’ve heard good things when it comes to alcohol use disorder. The upside to it is that pretty much any doctor will prescribe it for alcohol use disorder, and you’d definitely qualify. Won’t really do anything for benzo withdrawal, and honestly I have no idea if it is contradicted for those kicking benzos, but it is worth looking into.

If nothing else, and you continue struggling to stay away from booze and other stuff down the road, perhaps you can find something less harmful than alcohol or benzos? Whatever you do, I highly recommend continuing to work with your doctor AND finding another doctor more willing to work with you on your own goals. Not every doctor is right or even appropriate for every patient. I don’t know much at all but what you’ve shared in this thread about your relationship with your current doc, but it does sound like there is someone more appropriate out there for you.

Get a new doctor like everyone else said. That is just way to fast there needs to be a substitute for the xanax. Gabapentin helps as well.