• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Looking for someone with knowledge in CYP450 enzyme inhibitors

CocaColbenzo

Greenlighter
Well as the title says really.

Specifically looking for someone, who has knowledge on the inhibitors of CYP450 enzymes.

What i really need to know, is how much would a strong CYP450 3A4 inhibitor effect levels of Lorazepam?

I take clarithromycin but i also need to take lorazepam. But i don't know how much to alter my lorazepam dosage until i get some information on how much stronger the effects from the lorazepam will be when combined with this antibiotic.

Can someone clarify, if its 2.5 to 3 times stronger?

Unfortunately I guess nobody will be able to give you a definitive answer.

CYP450 enzyme expression is related to your genes and other factors, which are not only unknown for people you are asking on the internet, but which can also vary throughout your lifetime/day.
Also nobody can predict with certainty how you react to clarithomycin without doing any testing.

However you can titrate your dose of lorazepam until you hit your sweet spot ;)

Well as the title says really.

Specifically looking for someone, who has knowledge on the inhibitors of CYP450 enzymes.

What i really need to know, is how much would a strong CYP450 3A4 inhibitor effect levels of Lorazepam?

Realistically there should be little to no interaction between Lorazepam and a CYP3A4 inhibitor.

CYP3A4 normally promotes the excretion of benzodiazepines by catalyzing the removal of methyl groups (e.g. in Diazepam), the reduction of nitro groups (e.g. in Clonazepam) or the addition of hydroxyl groups (e.g. in Alprazolam).

Lorazepam, however, lacks methyl- and nitro groups, and is already hydroxylated at the 3-position, meaning it can be readily inactivated and excreted by conjugating it with glucuronic acid (which does not require CYP3A4).