• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Geodon for bipolar/Latuda

Mmp85

Bluelighter
A few months ago my doctor prescribed me Latuda.
He gave me a couple months worth of samples and then wrote a prescription for when I ran out.
I fell in love with it, I was also able to cut out two other medications so I don't have to take as many total.
For reference I now take 1,000 mg depakote, 40 mg prozac, klonopin as needed, and adderal for my ADD.
When I ran out off the samples I went to fill the prescription and they tell me insurance won't cover it because it's a brand name and it costs over a thousand dollars. So my doctor gave me more samples and put me in contact with their patient assistance program. The assistance program turned me down because I have insurance. Insurance that won't cover their freaking drug.
So my doctor says the most similar medication in generic is geodon and said if I try it he can prove to the insurance company that I tried a generic equivilant and if it isn't effective they'll have to cover the Latuda. Although he said it's also possible I'll like it and in that case I can just stay on it.
I'm starting it Friday because the pharmacy had to order it.
So does anyone have experience with both drugs and can compare?
I looked it up and what I don't get is that it's more for mania while Latuda is specifically for bipolar depression. So that's the complete opposite. Although I do have more manic episodes than depressive the depakote controls them pretty well, the latuda was great because it improved my mood overall and I felt like I had more energy and motivation.
Hopefully if I hate it or it isn't effective a month will be long enough for the insurance company to say I gave it a shot.

If anyone took it for schizophrenia I'd welcome your input on side effects even though your experience with how it works for you will be different from mine.
Side effects always sound worse when you're reading them but they were really random, like sneezing and lactating. Not the typical "may cause drowsiness" on most of my meds.

I have bipolar 1 with psychosis....so not schizophrenia but it really helps keep mania and psychosis under control. No weight gain, good night's sleep and feel refreshed upon awakening. You do need to take it with 500 calories for it to metabolize properly. I've lost a little bit of weight on geodon. Have taken it for years and no tardive dyskenesia, no akathesia, very good med for me. And generic is fine for me. I took namebrand prior to generic and can't tell a difference. I had initial sedation but it went away.

I have had major psychotic breaks including paranoid delusions, visual/auditory/tactile/gustatory hallucinations. Ideas of reference. All that icky stuff. No breaks since Geodon.

Ive not taken Latuda.

Well it certainly gives me a good nights sleep, the first day I took it I slept 18 hours straight and the second about 12.
Hopefully that wears off to a normal amount.
Only negative I'm having but then again I've been asleep so much I wouldn't know.

I'm going to give it an entire month but I'm having such a hard time staying awake.
I can tell I liked the Latuda better and that it helped a lot more. I feel like this is too much combined with depakote since they both control mania. I hope a month is enough for the insurance company to say I tried the alternative and didn't get the same results.
If I had time to sleep 16 hours a day it would be tolerable because I'm not seeing any other side effects but being so tired really messes with my productivity.

Hi I suffer from schizophrenia and have just been swapped to Latuda 80mg from 450mg of Clozapine. The latuda is much better imo. I am a lot more alert, motivated and generally feeling brighter. It has has not helped with the voices any more or any less than the clozapine, but is much less sedating. Unfortunately because the clozapine was so sedating and I have always had difficulty sleeping before schizophrenia and anti psychotics, the Latuda is wrecking havoc on my sleep, I am up every few hours alert and anxious. At the moment nitratrazepam is fixing this. I wish I was sleeping as much as the other posters. I am also prescribed 10mg Apriprazole and 2x 2 Valium twice a day for anxiety.

I have previously tried seroquel, zyprexa and risperedone and then Clozapine for 5years. Latuda is by far the best so far. I have only been on it a month but hopefully things stay good.

Last edited:
Yea i got shot up with geodon twice in the hospital cuz i was in acute psychosis from alcohol DT's and not sleeping enough. And i broke out of my restraints twice and fought off 8 nurses and headbutted one of them. I slept for like 3 days after

Update: hated the geodone and the first time I took it I slept 18 hours.
I took it for the minimum month and insurance approved the Latuda.
I felt the change over night, I can wake up even though like a few of you said sometimes I'm up too early or in the middle of the night. But generally I get enough sleep and I'm more alert than before.
I love it.

I was thrown on Geodon many years ago when I was in the psych ward. I was in there for depression and cutting the shit out of myself. Don't know why they gave me Geodon, as I showed no signs of psychosis or bipolar or anything and have never been diagnosed with anything other than depression, panic disorder and adhd. Anyway. Geodon gave me sleep paralysis. It was awful. I've never taken Latuda, but based on my experience with Geodon I'd say don't take it.

I was diagnosed w bipolar2 about 3yrs ago.

I frequently see the Latuda commercials and have wondered about trying it. I have severe anxiety and panic attacks that is managed w Neurontin (gabapentin)

I was prescribed wellbutrin and it caused me to have a panic attack. Is Latuda similar to wellbutrin? I've been hoping to be able to get the opinion of others that take it. Thanks for any information. <3 :)

Latuda is technically an anti-psychotic while Wellbutrin is an a-typical antideppressant.
Latuda affects both dopamine and seratonin levels. It's approved to treat Bipolar related depression but Wellbutrin is only approved for depression. Wellbutrin is considered helpful for bipolar if you're taking it with a mood stabilizer. So even though you're bipolar you're only being treated for depression and anxiety it sounds like which could be why it's not helping you. You either need to add something for the bipolar specifically or get rid of Wellbutrin altogether and try something else.
I tried Wellbutrin and it wasn't bad or great, I just do best with Prozac so I went back to it and stuck to it.
I'm bipolar 2 and I take Prozac, Depakote, and Latuda. I take Clonazepam as needed for anxiety.
I'm just giving you an example of the med combo that I'm now on and that has worked best for me. Everyone is different. But as far as my experience with Latuda for my bipolar I recommend it and it also has had hardly any negative side effects.
It's worth asking your doctor about but make sure your doctor talks to your insurance company!