• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Oregon has decriminalized drugs (kinda, not exactly)

Ganja Gremlin

Bluelighter
I think this is great ! I didn't see any other posts on this so forgive me if somebody already posted this article
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...possession-hoping-to-curb-mass-incarceration/

Marijuana is already legal here , but now I guess personal amounts of other drugs are like a traffic ticket . It's great because I hope more people will be able to seek help instead of feeling shame for their addiction

Last edited by a moderator:
The headline is misleading. Oregon has not decriminalized the possession of drugs such as cocaine and heroin. Possession of these drugs, for a first offence only, is being reduced to a Class A misdemeanor. This still carries liability for a prison sentence of up to one year.

It does say they wish to decrease incarceration and shift towards treatment. If that happens, I still see it as a positive.

The headline is misleading. Oregon has not decriminalized the possession of drugs such as cocaine and heroin. Possession of these drugs, for a first offence only, is being reduced to a Class A misdemeanor. This still carries liability for a prison sentence of up to one year.
Still a step in the right direction I think .
But yeah I could see how the titles a little misleading

That is deceptive indeed. It sounds like what happened in my city a few years ago with Prop 47. It is definitely a step in the right direction, but it most definitely isn't decriminalization 8)

This compared to where I live is beyond a step in the right direction! My state is still living in the dark ages and finances the majority of the prison system customers from drug users. Good to see things in other places are going better.

^Yes!^ People that want to see an end to the War on Drugs should really become informed about prison privatization. So many things are necessary for drugs to be treated as something other than criminal activity:

1) a complete revision of our schizophrenic culture that spews pleasure deprivation puritanism out one side of the mouth and entitled hedonism out the other.
2) a subsidized health care system for all--one that includes mental health services and recovery services and one that is not driven by "there's a pill for everything" Big Pharma.
3) capitalists' dream: modern slave labor in the form of unpaid, coerced prison work (with no oversight).

Smaller countries have tried and seen success but I doubt that we will ever see this in the U.S.

^Yes!^ People that want to see an end to the War on Drugs should really become informed about prison privatization. So many things are necessary for drugs to be treated as something other than criminal activity:1) a complete revision of our schizophrenic culture that spews pleasure deprivation puritanism out one side of the mouth and entitled hedonism out the other.2) a subsidized health care system for all--one that includes mental health services and recovery services and one that is not driven by "there's a pill for everything" Big Pharma.3) capitalists' dream: modern slave labor in the form of unpaid, coerced prison work (with no oversight).Smaller countries have tried and seen success but I doubt that we will ever see this in the U.S.
Just had to add that this post is awesome! Love line 1) :) You my friend know how to word the absurdity of this insanity in a way that is easy to understand and sure to get the blood boiling for those on the sidelines too lazy to voice an opinoin.

^Yes!^ People that want to see an end to the War on Drugs should really become informed about prison privatization. So many things are necessary for drugs to be treated as something other than criminal activity:

1) a complete revision of our schizophrenic culture that spews pleasure deprivation puritanism out one side of the mouth and entitled hedonism out the other.
2) a subsidized health care system for all--one that includes mental health services and recovery services and one that is not driven by "there's a pill for everything" Big Pharma.
3) capitalists' dream: modern slave labor in the form of unpaid, coerced prison work (with no oversight).

Smaller countries have tried and seen success but I doubt that we will ever see this in the U.S.
Oregon is pretty good about providing healthcare , I've never been to treatment for drugs but they paid for me for inpatient for my Eating disorder multiple times, like places that cost 1000 dollars a night and I didn't pay anythjng really , if I needed drug treatment too they even have options for that . All part of Oregon health plan or whatever the hell its called

Sounds ages ahead of Kentucky.

I just moved out of that state, but I may be paying the west coast another, long overdue visit in the years ahead.

The west coast has always seemed more 'humanistic' in general....fucking Bible belt is like misery central....

Just as Eisenhower's warning of a military-industrial complex being ignored has led to thousands of lives lost, trillions of dollars wasted, and now non-stop everlasting wars. The cycle is repeating itself with the prison-industrial complex, these industries become more powerful than our democracy, obtain regulatory capture, and then become such powerful political/lobbying bodies that they literally become unstoppable forces and prevent any type of reform that could be damaging to their bottom line. We are at a critical juncture in this country, if we don't turn back the tide right this instant then it will be too late.

What makes it even worse, is there is already plenty of empirical data, including studies commissioned by the federal government itself, which show the privatization of prisons actually costs more money, while providing nothing in the way of rehabilitation/reform, and providing such sub-human treatment of its prisoners that they contribute to the problem even more than publicly funded prisons(which weren't doing a bang up job of it anyways). But despite this the creep of privatization continues to spread, a sign that the tipping point may have already been reached.

This includes the privatization of probation services, in my home state, the biggest provider of privatized probation, Sentinel, has already been the subject of multiple lawsuits, ranging from its managers opening their own, non certified, DUI schools and referring its probationers to its schools and then violating them when they haven't fulfilled the requirements of their probation(from the schools not being certified) to more recently, in Fulton county(Atlanta), being sued for illegally charging probationers fines which they were not permitted to charge, and the probationers not ordered to pay. This went of for years and years before a savvy probationer realized what was occurring. These bodies have nowhere near the power of the private prison corporations, I just though it was a telling anecdote.

Of course this is the southeast, what makes this more hard to bare, is watching all the liberally minded people around me, and I am sure this happens in red state everywhere turn to some form of libertarianism, because thanks to the GOP, they can't even imagine a world where democracy works and provides good government to its people.

Last edited: