• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Tarot Cards Are Real

But do we have free will? If our consciousness is ultimately derived from the activity of particles whose behaviour can.only be determined through causality, free will cannot exist. All matter and activity is determined by a prior cause, all future action a result of past causes, unless consciousness is something (the only thing) NOT obeying the laws of cause and effect, free will is simply an illusion
Of course you have free will. Today you can choose to be positive or you can choose to be negative.
And when you decide to be positive you can only attract positive things through the Law of Attraction, and the opposite is also true, if you decide to be constantly negative you tend to attract negative things all your life.

Thats why I dont feel sorry for people when negative things happen to them

What about babies born with no arms?
They made that choice out of free will before they came into this earth by something called a "life contract". Usually spirits pick difficult lives like that to balance out karma from previous incarnations:

http://www.healpastlives.com/future/rule/ruagrmnt.htm

Also called "soul contract": https://www.google.com/search?lr=&a.....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.1.133....0.sfq4XGbo_I4

Its not an actual written contract on a wordpad file of course, its just a way to describe it

And the fact that that they originated as an ordinary card game a little like modern day bridge and only became associated with the occult later on and that the whole lot far from being ancient are only a couple hundred years old? That doesn't somewhat hinder the credibility?

I've heard that is the case with oujia boards.
I used to have one on the wall in an old apartment i lived in, that i found in a thift store, and it was copyrighted to Parker Bros, so i assumed it was correct.

Edit - a bit of online research seems to indicate that isn't true though.
"Automatic writing" is supposedly spirit-divining, and i'm not really into that sort of "spirituality"

Last edited:
this link doesn't really support your claim as far as i can tell - it's just a tool to let you 'randomly' select cards from a deck. what am i missing?

i have a couple of friends who put stock in tarot and, for them, there's a lot of ritual associated with the physical deck itself e.g. clearing or cleansing the deck

you get absolutely none of that using an online tool so, for me, there's a disconnect there too.

alasdair
Yes it's sort of controversial I guess. The whole online tarot thing. But I believe energy CAN be transfered through computers.(good and bad) I would not pay money for a reading like this though.. but the free ones where you get to "choose" your cards , I have had success with. It just gave me the meaning of each card and I had to put it together what it meant myself... I used this over and over at one point. I kept asking about this relationship I was in... I didn't like the answer , but the prediction proved true... Totally ended...
When you are so emotionally involved it might be better to have someone else interpret the cards for you...

This thread compels me to start a spirituality thread. Good idea, or bad idea??
I know it will get trolled to death, but it might still be interesting to share some knowledge

Go for it. :)

As for tarot cards, I believe they're like other ritual devices. Ritual is a powerful way of both producing deep thought/insight as well as in shaping our beliefs. What you believe becomes your reality, and ritualizing something helps aid that belief. I don't think that a deck of tarot cards printed in a factory somewhere (or hand made for that matter) somehow has a power inbued into it. It's just a device, albeit potentially a helpful one.

A good friend of mine (RIP Erin :() gave me my one and only tarot reading. It was eerily accurate, very accurate, and it really did help provide me with some insight/motivation. It pertained nearly exactly how my life path was going past, present and future. My friend also knew me well and she was known for giving really good readings, so it was certainly tailored to me within the framework of what the cards represented. But that's kinda the point I think. It wasn't magic, but it was significant to me nonetheless.

Reactions: rpm
xorkoth said:
As for tarot cards, I believe they're like other ritual devices. Ritual is a powerful way of both producing deep thought/insight as well as in shaping our beliefs. What you believe becomes your reality, and ritualizing something helps aid that belief. I don't think that a deck of tarot cards printed in a factory somewhere (or hand made for that matter) somehow has a power inbued into it. It's just a device, albeit potentially a helpful one.

That's a really good point, and an interesting thing to consider.
I have friends who are really into tarot, and i think it gives them a really constructive platform for self-reflection, if nothing else.

But ritual is important in many parts of people's lives. It can be a powerful thing.

Yeah, ritual is something vital to humans. For some reason, we seem to require regimented and predictable behavior to make sense of our chaotic world.

Sometimes though we forget what the purpose of a ritual is and get hung up on the minutiae of the ritual itself. But, we are still just animals in a world that we've only just begun to make sense of.

They made that choice out of free will before they came into this earth by something called a "life contract". Usually spirits pick difficult lives like that to balance out karma from previous incarnations:

http://www.healpastlives.com/future/rule/ruagrmnt.htm

Also called "soul contract": https://www.google.com/search?lr=&a.....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.1.133....0.sfq4XGbo_I4

Its not an actual written contract on a wordpad file of course, its just a way to describe it

I think that's highly unlikely but each to their own. :)

Last edited:
This thread compels me to start a spirituality thread. Good idea, or bad idea??
I know it will get trolled to death, but it might still be interesting to share some knowledge

I'd say you should then =D. Why not? I start threads in philosophy and spirituality all the time around here. Yeah, there are some trolls that come around at times. But there's often people who are very interested in what you have to say in my experience and for me that very much outweighs the presence of trolls if there are any that happen to show up.

^ A normal 3 card spread does past , present , and future .

Yes, Tarot cards can predict the future, the other question is whether you will understand what is meant. I got a prediction of the future when I was 22, and it wasn't until I was 41 that I fully understood what was meant.
There was an argument above about whether to believe modern printed Tarot cards, it seems to me that it's not just the cards themselves, but the person doing the divination that's important. A couple of times I've fallen for deceivers who were constantly confused and waiting for my reaction to their words, and I've come away from there disappointed. After that, I decided I wanted to figure things out for myself, at least for myself. I tried to read a couple of books, but nothing worked, too many terms, too many obscure digressions. Hallelujah! I found a normal course without all that, because I needed clear and simple explanations to make it easier for me as a beginner . I took the course on this site https://www.arrowsisters.com/product-page/tarot-card-reading-course and now I know the meanings of all 78 cards, I can't believe I'm writing this!!! They explained to me how to interpret contradictory cards, and yay, at 41 years old I started doing that really interests me.

Last edited:
These cards are so much more than mere cards, they're a method of communicating with ultimate truth.
I often use them and their ideas / concepts to help me write

Definitely very real.. I seem to have better clarity with them on some days, as compared to others.

The future is not fixed. Tarot would just give you the outcome based on the path you are on now . Which you can change at any time
For this reason, I like to use them for self discovery more than future prediction.

@LandsUnknown ... I appreciate you starting this topic <3

Firstly, apologies if what I'm about to say is a rambling thread derailment just throwing ideas around without any philosophical rigour. It's the tail end of three days without sleep, and I'm still a bit high and want to talk philosophy! :love:

But, in the quantum universe, none of this is even happening. Time is not a property there, it is unchanging and the concept of future or past are functions tacked into the macro world by our subjective experience, so there can be no predictions of a non existent future. There is no such thing as heat or movement in that world, nothing to react with or against each other, just endless sub atomic particle clouds of eternity. Or something. I just liked the sound of that. :D

So I think this is one possible answer for the cluster of hard problems around the mind (the arrow of time, subjective consciousness, free will). In a many-worlds quantum multiverse time is the branching tree of possible worlds where every physical possibility is realised. My experience of time therefore must be the path of the conscious observer that is identical with me. Free will then could be the act of choosing which branch to follow.

(I think Volsam said something similar above, although I don't think it's possible to observe any point in the universe just by using tarot, and the changes that observation makes on a subatomic level would both be fairly random and pretty much undetectable at the macro level. But I digress)

I guess the issue with the above is that it doesn't explain why we need a conscious observer in the first place. But this might parallel or be the same as responses to the anthropic fine tunning question:
  1. The absurd universe (the staunch materialist approach): Our universe just happens to be the way it is. Consciousness supervenes on the physical world (despite it not being implied by the laws of physics). You could probably not bother with the theories about free will and times arrow under this as they are essentially meaningless in this structure- I'm not really a fan of materialism
  2. The unique universe: There is a deep underlying unity in physics that necessitates the Universe being the way it is, with observers and free will. Some Theory of Everything will explain why the universe is the way it is. - In other words, we just don't know yet, but there must be a good reason. Seems cheap to me
  3. A Level 5 multiverse: Multiple universes exist, having all possible combinations of characteristics (both with and without observers), and we inevitably experience ourselves within a universe that allows us to. - I get the feeling this is highly plausible but I guess there is some lack of explanation of the ontology of conscious observers. That could probably be solved with some kind of intrinsic consciousness property with some associated rules in physics (a bit like 2 but with less unexplained). However, Occam would have a field day with his razor
  4. Intelligent design: A creator designed the Universe with the purpose of supporting complexity and the emergence of intelligence and mind. - don't question it too hard, it's ineffable. Similar to 1 in many ways but with added God(s)
  5. The life principle: There is an underlying principle that constrains the Universe to evolve towards life and mind. Perhaps consciousness is just part of matter alla panpsychism or (like in 3) or via some kind of field we haven't detected - basically the same as 2 but more explicit about the primacy of mind and consciousness?
  6. The self-explaining universe: A closed explanatory or causal loop meaning that only universes with mind/observers (can) exist. The idea is that the Copenhagen interpretation (or a variant) of quantum physics holds and therefore without observers, the universe is just a quantum supposition of unrealised possibilities. Conscious observers must be there to collapse the waveform and the snake eats it's own tail. - This is my favourite based on how audacious psychedelic it is (and this is usually the sort of vision I get from psychedelics: if he's right then we and presumably other conscious observers throughout the universe, are the creators — or at least the minds that make the universe manifest. And that's just too cool not to be true!
  7. The fake universe: We live inside a virtual reality simulation. - Far out - Man like, how do we know if anything is even like a real man. I also am not totally clear what material difference there is between this and 4. Presumably, they would need a whole team of Gods to design the simulation?

Also, I just love the way so many people on this thread are casually stating at best fringe theories as absolute fact. That takes epistemological balls! I will add my two cents:

Of course, tarot works. It uses Proto Jungian archetypes to tune into our deep subconscious, which in itself is connected via the panpsychic properties of the fundamental building blocks of everything to the universal consciousness that is Logos.

It doesn't work on Fridays though, As that is when Jung and Logos take the day off down the pub

I don't really know how to read it but sometimes when i'm high i shuffle the cards just to see what's droping and it often makes sense and confort me in what idea i made of that reality

What about babies born with no arms?
Designer babies should fix that

I found a cool little Witchcraft store down the way they are psychics in there or claim to be I am sure they use Tarot in the back my problem is the protector dieties I have been accustomed to and will remain so do not offer guardianship amongst the energy of that stuff there is a darkness involved I fear would consume me