• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Apointment at trauma clinic tomorrow . Trying to get on Ativan

I do think it sounds like you would benefit from an as-needed Rx, hopefully taken no more frequently than 1-2x/wk, and that some doctor should give it to you.

But I sometimes wish I could go tell 11-years-ago me to not get on daily Klonopin the minute I started having panic attacks, which I realize is not exactly what you're doing. Please be careful, and consider the consequences. You're 18. I started taking benzos daily (as prescribed) for anxiety sometime around 22 for reasons similar to yours. I'm almost 33 now, my biggest issue is a chronic pain problem that I didn't have at 22 and for which I take opioids. I'd never had trouble getting the Klonopin (or the Klonopin along with the oxy) until last year. All of a sudden, every doctor I see says, "You could die at any moment! Tolerance doesn't matter! People die for no reason on that combination! Look, six of them in France! I won't write that." I'm kind of in a bind now, and I don't want to choose between pain and anxiety; I like the way my meds combine, and I have good tolerances to both (if I could sign a sheet pledging not to let anyone sue on my behalf if I die in my sleep, I would).

So, I would do everything you can to not get dependent because doctors are getting stingier, the brain damage thing (about which I didn't know until two years ago) is a factor, and (mostly) benzo w/d is so shitty (supposedly--I've never been through it). But I wouldn't rule it out completely. Just watch out for dependence. Benzo w/d can kill you.
Honestly it's gotten to the point where the bad effects of benzos don't outweigh the positive . I really wish I had a doctor who could help me find the correct dosage and type of benzo . I liked Ativan but now I'm hearing some things like it's worse than xanax ?

Until I can find a doc to prescribed me I'm forced to buy off the streets and guess what dose I need to control anxiety . I try to only take .5mg of xanax at a time though...but I often re dose

If you want any medication to work you need to stop self medicating. You need to ditch the painkillers.
Drugs that should help won't if they're mixed with drugs you're not meant to be taking.
You probably do need a benzo and since you took them in the past doctors should be more receptive but you also probably need a combination of antidepressants or mood stabilizers. It sucks to feel like you have to try a million different meds but sometimes it's the only thing that works.

If you want any medication to work you need to stop self medicating. You need to ditch the painkillers.
Drugs that should help won't if they're mixed with drugs you're not meant to be taking.
You probably do need a benzo and since you took them in the past doctors should be more receptive but you also probably need a combination of antidepressants or mood stabilizers. It sucks to feel like you have to try a million different meds but sometimes it's the only thing that works.

I'm sorry but that's complete crap, you seem to suggest the meds won't work if you're self medicating... Or rather that's EXACTLY what you said, but the truth is far more complex than that. Taking medications as prescribed is no guarantee they'll work and self medicating at the same time doesn't mean they won't. This is chemistry, it knows nothing of "self medication".

I'm sorry but that's complete crap, you seem to suggest the meds won't work if you're self medicating... Or rather that's EXACTLY what you said, but the truth is far more complex than that. Taking medications as prescribed is no guarantee they'll work and self medicating at the same time doesn't mean they won't. This is chemistry, it knows nothing of "self medication".

Lol yeah I don't see how the hell my body would know the difference if I was self medicating or in a hospital and just given the benzo by a doctor . They work the same way. I didn't even know I liked benzos till doctors let me try them.
Plus how can it be self medicating when I have multiple diagnosises that a doctor would prescribe benzos for , I just have to find the right doctor xD

I'm not talking about the benzos which you sound like you need, I'm talking about the painkillers which you don't seem to need unless you didn't mention a pain issue you have or I missed it. Opiates aren't meant for anti-anxiety or depression or mood disorders. You're better off getting prescribed something that's formulated for those specific issues than taking something else that isn't.

I'm not talking about the benzos which you sound like you need, I'm talking about the painkillers which you don't seem to need unless you didn't mention a pain issue you have or I missed it. Opiates aren't meant for anti-anxiety or depression or mood disorders. You're better off getting prescribed something that's formulated for those specific issues than taking something else that isn't.

I do have some pain issues sometimes but yeah I just take them solely to get high . I'm trying to cut down on use but not ready to stop completly
I know they arnt meant to numb emotional pain only physical pain but I've been using them off and on for a long time . I first took Vicodin when I was in the 7th grade

Last edited:

I'll say it once again, this is chemistry, chemicals have no knowledge of what it's deemed that they're meant for.

Opiates do all sorts of things and are extremely effective antidepressants, the problem isn't that they don't work, the problem if anything is they work far too well and have a host of other unpleasent things they tend to do.

Sorry but I just hate this concept that suggests drugs are something that have been truly designed and have things they're 'meant for' like they're a car or a phone or something. Our biochemical knowledge and advancement as a race isn't nearly advanced enough yet to call almost any drug 'designed' or 'meant for' anything like we would some other engineered tool.

I'll say it once again, this is chemistry, chemicals have no knowledge of what it's deemed that they're meant for.

Opiates do all sorts of things and are extremely effective antidepressants, the problem isn't that they don't work, the problem if anything is they work far too well and have a host of other unpleasent things they tend to do.

Sorry but I just hate this concept that suggests drugs are something that have been truly designed and have things they're 'meant for' like they're a car or a phone or something. Our biochemical knowledge and advancement as a race isn't nearly advanced enough yet to call almost any drug 'designed' or 'meant for' anything like we would some other engineered tool.
Very true whatever works is what works.