• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Is there such thing as a permanent cannabis tolerance?

George1012

Bluelighter
I've heard a few people report that they've smoked for a very long time (yrs) and then they literally can't get high anymore even after taking a break. One guy I knew quit smoking for like eight months and smoked some dank and didn't get very high. Either they forgot how to smoke correctly or their tolerance somehow kept up with them through all the time they were quit which doesn't make sense. I smoke almost every day and even just one day without I notice a profound difference the next day in how strong it is. Then again these guys I knew also did other things, like the synthetic weed, mushrooms and acid and other drugs. I've heard that synthetic weed is bad news and once you smoke that you can kiss the days of getting high off of regular weed goodbye.

I believe a permanent tolerance could be the product of receptor down regulation. Constant over stimulation may cause the brain to attempt to "normalize" by reducing the sensitivity of receptors of area of over stimulation.

As far as synthetic weed is concerned, synthetics that I know of are full antagonist of cannabinoid receptors. Natural cannabis is only a partial antagonist, meaning compared to a full antagonist they have a much smaller impact when they bind to the receptors in our brains. I don't know if "damage" is the right word, but due to the higher stimulation a synthetic cannabinoid is likely to cause greater receptor down regulation, or a greater reduction in sensitivity. If this is true it would make sense as to why at that point when you use a partial antagonist to stimulate the same parts of the brain the effect is not felt to the same degree as before the full antagonist was used.

As far as synthetics go, I believe they are bad news for a multitude of reasons, but as far as tolerance is concerned it's not a one and done type of deal. The amount you smoke and the length of time you use it for will come into play. I'd imagine a few months of smoking synthetics might do the trick.

The amount and length of time you use will come impact the tolerance you have to the drug. I used to smoke all day, every day and could smoke an ounce in a day. I would chain smoke 1 gram joints or take dab after dab and me and my friends would get together and just keep smoking hours on end, even though we didn't really get that much of an effect after the first joint or blunt. There is a big difference between smoking like that, and someone who smokes every day but only takes a few hits at a time, or stops once they feel high.

I'd imagine using heavier drugs in general would likely lessen your sensitivity to psychoactive substances, but I'm not sure.

I used to smoke a lot more and comparing to the way I used to smoke I prefer the method I use now. I used to hang out with a lot of other guys. All we did was drink and smoke. I smoked in much higher amounts and could only get one real high per day. Having cut back significantly I can actually get fully high more then once per day and its great.

Yeah, just with any drug, it starts to lose some of its "charm" so to speak when it's overused or abused.

Permatolerance to cannabis is very real. Happened to me, after 3 years of magical use - but it was the single greatest thing in my life when it worked. I also believe my permatolerance is related to schizophrenia and/or use of antipsychotics, but I know permatolerance happens to mentally healthy people and at the same rate.

Permatolerance to cannabis is very real. Happened to me, after 3 years of magical use - but it was the single greatest thing in my life when it worked. I also believe my permatolerance is related to schizophrenia and/or use of antipsychotics, but I know permatolerance happens to mentally healthy people and at the same rate.

Sorry but until I see multiple quality studies showing otherwise, the smart bet is to assume someone's mental state has become altered because of weed forever. Not their actual brain biology, but because you've been high so many times you know exactly what it's like, and it changes it for you.

When I first started smoking cannabis, sometimes I would get so high that I would actually see the world moving signficantly more slowly than normal around me. One time I actually had a complete out-of-body experience occur and returned to reality with the most intense version of this slowing effect I ever experienced, so much so that I wasn't even able to walk properly because I wouldn't see my body move until seconds after feeling myself making the movements, like it was both slowed down and lagging. After about three months of solid dank smoking, I suddenly never experienced this effect from cannabis ever again.

After years of smoking and practicing meditation, I started to get significant closed eye visuals from cannabis while lying in my bed in the dark. This built up over time to the point that one night I had a full-blown dissociative-like experience with a total disconnection from the body and self, cosmic abstract imagery, and total submission to a bathing white light followed by a completely immersive, controllable, and psychedelic dream-like experience. Afterwards, I never experienced this state again and it became difficult for me to get even close, though I do still get tons of hypnagogic imagery very readily from smoking cannabis in the dark.

Aside from these effects, I have not experienced any seemingly permanent tolerance from cannabis, even after years of all day every day use. I also have enjoyed synthetic cannabinoid use from time to time and have never had it permanently alter my highs, though they did build cannabinoid tolerance in general more quickly than cannabis, which required the typical tolerance break to reset, a few days to get back to "normal" or a few weeks to months to make it almost like new for a short while.

Unless maybe someone has completely abused synthetic cannabinoids to hell, I can't imagine a situation where they shouldn't be able to get at least somewhat high; I know several people who have been regular smokers for just shy of half a century and still very much enjoy good cannabis.

When I first started smoking cannabis, sometimes I would get so high that I would actually see the world moving signficantly more slowly than normal around me. One time I actually had a complete out-of-body experience occur and returned to reality with the most intense version of this slowing effect I ever experienced, so much so that I wasn't even able to walk properly because I wouldn't see my body move until seconds after feeling myself making the movements, like it was both slowed down and lagging. After about three months of solid dank smoking, I suddenly never experienced this effect from cannabis ever again.

After years of smoking and practicing meditation, I started to get significant closed eye visuals from cannabis while lying in my bed in the dark. This built up over time to the point that one night I had a full-blown dissociative-like experience with a total disconnection from the body and self, cosmic abstract imagery, and total submission to a bathing white light followed by a completely immersive, controllable, and psychedelic dream-like experience. Afterwards, I never experienced this state again and it became difficult for me to get even close, though I do still get tons of hypnagogic imagery very readily from smoking cannabis in the dark.

Aside from these effects, I have not experienced any seemingly permanent tolerance from cannabis, even after years of all day every day use. I also have enjoyed synthetic cannabinoid use from time to time and have never had it permanently alter my highs, though they did build cannabinoid tolerance in general more quickly than cannabis, which required the typical tolerance break to reset, a few days to get back to "normal" or a few weeks to months to make it almost like new for a short while.

Unless maybe someone has completely abused synthetic cannabinoids to hell, I can't imagine a situation where they shouldn't be able to get at least somewhat high; I know several people who have been regular smokers for just shy of half a century and still very much enjoy good cannabis.

Awesome explanation. I personally am very fond of that disassociated-like state cannabis gives. I have experienced hypnagogic hallucinations when my mind and body were nearly completely disconnected from my environment. When in this state, I noticed my body is completely fuzzy, I have a hard time moving, and may I be anxious to an extent. Also, music and food are significantly better. However, being a daily smoker, I have to consume much more cannabis to even try to reach this state. I have heard of a “high ceiling” for cannabis as well. Where no matter how much you smoke, you just do not get any higher. Anyone have experience with or information on this?

I really don’t know about permatolerance, but if I take a decent tolerance break (2 weeks minimum), two or three tokes of some dank really hits the spot- not like smoking in the beginning, but still hits the spot

in my personal experience, tolerance comes RIGHT back after a few solid months of a break. a year (did this once, or at least only took a handful of hits over a year) is better.

trust me, my receptors would have been juggernauts by now if i could get a permanent tolerance.

with that said, im sure some of the novelty of youth smoking adventures have worn out, but cannabis continues to surprise, entertain, aid, and enlighten me (im 30, been using on and off and mostly on again for 12 years, sometimes in stupid high amounts, and sometimes interspersed with synthetic 'noids, in high amounts even).

I've now been smoking cannabis for a year. This is the longest I've smoked it without taking a significant break, 30 days or more. I took a 16 day break back in July and a few one week breaks here and there. Tolerance honestly hasn't' changed. One thing I've noticed is sometimes its impossible to remember certain things, especially things that happen when I'm high.

I went about 6 months without smoking after smoking every day for 10 years, my tolerance definitely went down but it wasn't anything like when I first started smoking. Definitely dropped substantially though.

And I would think the memory problems are related to cannabis use. It will probably take longer than a few weeks in order for the effects to go away or at least until they aren't noticeable. My memory has definitely improved, but I would say it took a few months at least. Idk if I would say it is 100% of what it was before, but definitely sharper than when I was smoking all day.

Hmmm. Odd. I knew that you slowly build a tolerance as with any other drug. I've smoked for 3 years with very little breaks here and there.(like maybe a few days at best) Definitely feel a tolerance. However I still get nicely high and cozy if I smoke 3 or 4 bowls or face a blunt or 2. I'm not a heavy smoker in the sense that I don't smoke that much at once. I have too many things in a day to do to be getting high all day. so I smoke a few bowls in the morning before work, and coming home usually. Oh but I miss the first few months smoking. I remember I was me out of my fucking mind lmao. But in reading your post, I think I'm gonna take a break here and test if I will lower my tolerance. I would hate to reach a point where I feel barley anything from cannabis.

I really don’t know about permatolerance, but if I take a decent tolerance break (2 weeks minimum), two or three tokes of some dank really hits the spot- not like smoking in the beginning, but still hits the spot

Yep. Nothing like them good ol' days of being thrown to another galaxy lol

Using synthetics seems to have permanently raised my tolerance. I only smoke bud now, wish I never fucked with research chemical noids.

My best friend used to smoke a gram a day for 5 years, he is 17 years old. I only smoked .25 about twice a week until my tolerance break. On a rare two month occurance we would use butane hash oil which almost always gave me a psychedelic trip, but he never had any visual distortions.
We discussed this strange occurance over the summer and decided that a genetic factor may be at play (for me) and that he should take a 2 week tolerance break to see if there were any changes. Long story short, he never saw any changes with BHO despite his much needed break.

Using synthetics seems to have permanently raised my tolerance. I only smoke bud now, wish I never fucked with research chemical noids.
No worries, I smoked synth for about a year, tolerance was jacked up, but after 6 months of no synth my tolerance is back to manageable

I quit for 3 years and got highschool stoned for like a month... it can take a little while to go away. I don't mind a little tolerance for chron. I just switched from joint to bong after an extended joint phase and I'm high as can be.

Added some 2c-d to the mix, floored now in psychedelia. happy new years.