• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Is tapering possible for someone addicted to Oxys?

aaMizer720

Ex-Bluelighter
Is it possible? While tapering your most likely not going to get the feelings that you enjoy. Like myself I feel good on 100 mg of oxy... 40 min after Benadryl tussin and Tagamet...

But I want to taper 10 mg down every 5 days... once I hit like 70 or 60 I know I won't feel the great feeling and I'll end up taking more 20 min later etc..

Anyone ever have luck with tapering while being addicted to something? If so what was the best methods you used to get by ....

Thanks!

Mizer my old pal. Tapering opiates is possible; I suppose. But it's near impossible to execute. It takes willpower that addicts typically don't have.

It's certainly worth a shot. I just don't want you to be discouraged if it doesn't work.

I've found that no matter what my plans, if I have opiates I will take them.

If you already are able to stick to a certain dosage while still having more in your possession(people who have the most difficulty tapering are those who keep going till their stash is gone) then it should be possible with some extra willpower. The trick is to go very slowly, so you don't notice that you are taking less than usual.

If supply isn't an issue for the foreseeable future, and you see yourself running into trouble dropping 5mg every 5 days then just drop 2.5mg every ten. Maybe at first don't even drop your dose, just stop using potentiaters, and then once you run into trouble dropping your dose add them back and stop dropping your dose, once you stabilize stop the potentiators again for a while before continuing to drop.

I appreciate what you're trying to do man, but this isn't really an appropriate topic for our sub-forum. We really try to concern ourselves strictly with questions and discussion directly related to the use of drugs in regard to safety. I'm going to move this somewhere where you might get a little bit more support.

I've been an Opioid addict for 10 years or so. I've used everything from Oxycodone, to Heroin, to Methadone. If you would like some one on one advice regarding your situation, myself and other members on the forum are available. We need to keep the front page clear and organized, so I'm moving this, but if you would like help developing a taper, please, by all means contact me by private message.

It is possible but can be very difficult. It is easier if you have already gone through some nasty WDs and know what to expect as the fear of severe WDs can motivate you to stick to the taper.

The thing about tapering is that you wont feel high(or shouldn't if done right) after taking the dose. You should only take enough so that you don't feel sick or severe WD symptoms. You will likely still experience WDs even while tapering but they will be less severe than if you had gone cold turkey.

As far as an exact dosage, it is hard to say. Everyone is a little different and tolerance plays a huge role. I would think that lowering your dose by 10mg every 5 days would be a decent pace. The hard part is sticking to the taper once you feel start feeling bad or start missing the high, as you have noted.

I've been able to taper down off extremely high doses, but once I get to the tail end of the taper I always would wind up taking more to try and avoid the sickness or escape depression. I was never prescribed pills so whenever I decided to quit I would count up my stash and then try and plan the taper around the remaining pills. I would usually finish them early and then go into some pretty nasty WDs. I've quit opiates probably half a dozen times before I've been able to maintain sobriety for an extended period of time.

It is doable, but hard, and takes tremendous discipline, which, as stated above, addictive personalities usually don't have. And, it is even harder when you are used to high doses. It is one of the reasons that I tend to try and keep tolerances to any compound as low as possible. Absolutely easier to taper off of LESS of anything than more, in my eyes.

Mizer, you can do it. I'm doing it right now. I have been on 200 mcg fentanyl (via 2 patches) with an 80 mg Oxy kicker thrown in three times a day. I also take Soma. I got addicted through a Doc who over prescribed for a screwed up back after years jumping out of anything moving in the military. Now that Opiates are in the news, my primary care Doc pussied out and referred me to a pain management clinic. They give me the scripts, but I'm doing the work.

Here's how I am doing it. I quit the Oxys and Soma. I went down to 100 mcg Fentanyl for two weeks, then 50, now 25. In about 10 days I'll go down to 12 and then off for a month. Its a bitch. I hurt, my mind is a little fucked up and I just yelled at my SO for no reason. GODDAMMIT, I hurt! But I'm doing it and I'm going to continue to do it. It helps to have someone work with you, but your habit, compared to mine, wouldn't get me out of bed in the morning. Use a little of that willpower you have and just start cutting back. I'll be your cheerleader. If you need my number, I'll give it to you. If I can do it, so can you. Many people are doing it right now. Then do like me and stay the hell away from it.

LV

Last edited:
its totally possible. Don't listen to anyone, it's only as hard as you make it. I just suffered some pretty severe injuries, had two hospital inpatient/surgical stays about a month apart. Each time they discharged me at 90 - 120mg oc, each time I tapered by about 1 - 1.5mg a day and it was nearly painless. I am currently at 19mg, and will jump off at 10mg here in a week or two. Ive had all sorts of trouble when I was younger, so I'm no stranger to addiction. I'm just fucking over it. Literally no good comes of it and your body feels like shit, then you get old and you wake from a haze with a ruined body and ruined relationships. I just want off em, and have stuck to my guns. Get a scale, keep a journal and reach down deep for some dedication. Totally, 100% possible. And the W/D I experience now are 90% less than if I had CT'd. If I lost all my pills now, it would be a sweaty weekend, nothing more. You all can do it! --- I gave myself space, my doc and I decided -10mg every 2 weeks. That's -1mg a day with a couple days to stabilize in each 10mg block. Worked really well. Thanks to my PCP for being understanding and cool despite media shitstorm.

How are you doing Mizer? Haven't heard from you in a while. Let us know what's going on with you.

LV